Battery leaked, now light won't work

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
I had a battery that leaked all over the inside of my Fenix L1P and after 30 mins I was finally able to hammer the battery out of the tube.

The leak was on the positive end and it made contact with the head. Prior to removing the battery the light was still working. Now it isn't. The acid from the battery ate into the metal tube about .25mm deep.

What should I do to fix it or least find out what is wrong with it?

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
Is the circuit board damaged? How do I tell? Do you mean visually is it stained by the acid?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The acid from the battery ate into the metal tube about .25mm deep.

What should I do to fix it or least find out what is wrong with it?

Since it's no acid but alkaline, you have to use acid to remove and neutralize the residues.
Take vinegar for cleaning and after that, wash all with distilled water.

Good luck and best regards

____
Tom

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
Baking soda and water is for acid batteries only right? I will try vinegar and water.

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
Send the battery, flashlight, and receipt to the battery manufacturer. Let them pay for a new light. Don't bother cleaning the old light.

Illum

Flashaholic
I did not know that.:whistle:

now you do:grin2:

I don't use my discontinued alkaline powered lights for this reason...the batteries don't seem to be able to keep their pants on whenever I install them in my shelf queens:shrug:
sometimes its pure luck: finding the leak while it was still wet, other times its scraper time:thumbsdow

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
now you do:grin2:
I would still think it would be worthwhile to send the light in and get some money rather than have a light that may never work again. But that is just me. Some people have the lights just because the light is part of a collection, even if the light does not work. I only keep lights that actually work.

Maybe it is just my frustration having tried to clean out a light before that has slanted (tainted) my feelings. I hope the OP has better luck than I have had cleaning out a light.

My one exception to keeping things that work is my original Pulsar LED watch that I purchased in 1972 for $400.00. The first LED watch, heavy, large, unreadable in sunlight. But it was fun.

When the James Bond movie, Live and Let Die came out in 1973 I went to theatre to watch the movie. In the opening sequence Mr. Bond is in bed and gets contacted. He looks at his watch, a Pulsar (silver colored, mine was gold colored), and activates the watch. The theatre audience gives out an "aaahhh". I proudly activate my watch and raise my arm.:twothumbs

Several people stopped me outside the theatre to actually see the watch. Having a James Bond gadget, actually having one, and being able to show it off, priceless.:thumbsup:

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
I cleaned the contacts the best I could and there doesn't seem to be anything on it. Execept on the tail cap, there are two tiny pitted holes.

I was able to get the light to work for a bit but very dim (could be the batteries too). So I removed the battery to try new ones and since then it doesn't work anymore. So I am guessing there is a continuity problem somewhere.

Maybe the tail cap needs to be removed and inspected? How do you do that? I was able to remove the boot and that's it.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a sharp knive ( razor blade) and open the plastic-switch housing at the seam.
Take a look inside and clean the spring and all the parts.
Assemble it and.....good luck:thumbsup:

If it will not work or you will brake something, give member "4Sevens" a message, he sold the switches in the past.

Best regards

____
Tom