Wilkins F7 Kurz

Bob_G

Enlightened
I got my Wilkins last week. Took some snaps in the yard today - not that good but you get the idea. Scale is cocobolo, blade coating is TiAlN. It took 11 months, so not too bad at all for a "semi custom" I thought.

It looks like Kevin is giving up on custom orders, the last were delivered now, so I got one of the last ever (maybe the last?) from him. It was just a few weeks after I ordered that he hurt is hand and stopped taking orders for the time being, then recently changed his business model, so mine had to be one of the last ordered.

Anyhow, on with the pics ...

F7Kurz_007R.jpg

F7Kurz_012R.jpg

F7Kurz_015R.jpg

F7Kurz_016R.jpg

F7Kurz_022R.jpg

F7Kurz_046R.jpg

F7Kurz_004R.jpg

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Very nice :) Congrats Bob , beautiful knife, got to love Kevins work.

Here's my F7, actually called an F10 on its manufacture card because between Kevin and I we created a unique F7 (BG42 blade, 3000 yr old bog oak scales, damasteel spacer/lanyard, titanium bolsters).

kw1.jpg

kw2.jpg

kw3.jpg

kw4.jpg

And my lovely F4, this one is pretty standard (S90V blade, G10 scales, damasteel bolsters)

orangef4.jpg

orangef41.jpg

orangef42.jpg

Piccies by Kevin Wilkins

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Those are beautiful knives you both have there!!! And your picture taking / posting aint' shabby either. DO you use them or plan to use them, or are they going to become shelf queens? I don't think I could bring myself to use them.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Ahh, the Bog Oak one - I saw it when you posted before. Once I decided on wood, it was between cocobolo for durability and bog oak for all around coolness. It was a tough call, but you see where I went. As a fellow Wilkins owner you might be interested in the spacer design on mine - look close in the next to last pic and you can see that it protrudes form the frame. The size of it matches the original design of the Kurz, so the frame has been narrowed a bit.

I thought it was a great idea, especially for the Kurz which is a bit wide for its length, and it gives grip at the rear without problems with the frame and it looks way cool. But Kevin said it was to help prevent scratching on that part of the frame and that he was going to that design on most/all of his folders.

Pokerstud, yep, I already committed to carrying I guess, by making my first attempt to sharpen it. I still have work to do there, but I've got a basic beveled established at least.

Griff, no you won't :D

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Yep I see it now, hadn't noticed that the first time, nice feature.

Pokerstud, I can't take credit for the pictures in my post, Kevin took those and sent them by email to me before he mailed the knives out, a bit of a tease he is :). I used those pics because they show the knives in pristeen condition , mine are a little bit more distressed looking now :( I carry the F7 frequently it's a nice size, the F4 though is a monster in weight and size. I only tend to carry it if I know I'm going to need a big solid knife for heavy cutting tasks :grin2:.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a beautiful Wilkins knife!!CONGRATS!! I am a huge fan of his work. I only have one Wilkins knife; an Avalon 3.

Avalon3cyanopen.jpg

Avalon3cyanpartiallyopen.jpg

SolarFlare

Enlightened
That's nice TKC :thumbsup:

Here's my Avalon, first run, looks a bit plain and old compared to yours.

avalon1.jpg

photorob

Enlightened
I'd love to get my hands on one of these knives but from my research I find that it's pretty much impossible. :paypal: Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Just send kevin an email, thats what I've always done, he's a friendly chap :). The following is from his site:-

"If you're Interested in purchasing a knife, first check the in stock section of this website to see if I have anything listed that suits your fancy. If not, shoot me an email and I'll notify you when I have something ready."

Wilkins_Knives

email : kvonp (at) snafu.de

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
And there is nothing "semi-custom" about your Wilkins F7 Kurtz either. Where did you get that info that it is semi custom anyway?? A Kevin Wilkins knife is 100% custom!!

I got my Avalon 3 from a knife dealer. Moore Custom Knives. He had 2, when I bought mine; a cyan one and a red one.

Here are better pix of my Avalon 3

12openedAvalon3.jpg

Avalon3Cyan.jpg

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Nice James :), what steel is it? Love the dimples, I see you've got that extended spacer too, did ya ask for it?