teaching...

papasan

Enlightened
do you teach your kids not to hit by hitting them? no...

why then would we teach a small rather insignifigant country (besides the oil production and reserves they have) not to kill people by killing them?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Papasan;

That part of Earth has seen near constant war for <font color="red"> thousands</font> of years. The Dictator in question got his place of power by murdering his predecessor. His sons are far worse than he is.

We are in a war for our survival, while their ultimate goal is our [/b]extermination[/b]. Get real: it is near impossible to teach them peaceful ways (too many fanatics).

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um. I'd at least disagree with the premise.

I don't want to start a flame war by being argumentative but... When my 4-yr-old hit my 2-yr-old on the head, I bopped the 4-yr-old on the head the same way and asked him if he liked it since he'd already been fully drilled in "the golden rule". He kinda went "oh" and has never hit his brother again.

Worked great.

The golden rule rules, but to my chagrin I've found it doesn't sink in unless the person understands the meaning of what the "them to do to you" part might be like. Such as if they've never been hit before, can't really imagine it, or don't think it'd ever come back to happen to them.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i agree totally with gjw.

this was isn't about teaching them... while they do of course need to be taught a lesson, our objective in this is to elimate a clear and present threat. they are not children, they are adults and generally evil people capable of things you wouldn't even want to think about.

ok, i'll just sit back now and wait for this to be closed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

logical

Newly Enlightened
I agree...who ever said we were going over on a teaching mission? Typical weak-foundation Liberal arguement once again.

If you found out your 16 year old had shot a few hundred friends last week and then discovered he still had a few guns in his closet....would you do whatever it took to take them away from him....or sign him up for some conflict resolution classes?

papasan

Enlightened
if we don't intend to teach them anything then i suppose that means we have to move in and run teh country for them? and who are 'they' anyhow? how many people in this country are we trying to kill? all i've heard so far is about saddam husain...seems that assasination is more the call of the day than war. that is if you even take what the government says about him at face value which i do not. then again, we couldn't divide the oil up for ourselves if we just assasinated him.

and war is always about teaching...might makes right, you have to teach that to the week, right? the crusades were to teach the heathens just how heathenistic they were, and this war will teach iraq just how bad killing is, right?

i do see your point about your two kids and one hitting the other, but this situation is much different. if it were suddam himself who was getting hit then so be it, he made his bed...but a whole country to suffer? if your son hits another boy in his class do you punish the whole class?

[ QUOTE ]
Papasan;

That part of Earth has seen near constant war for <font color="red"> thousands</font> of years. The Dictator in question got his place of power by murdering his predecessor. His sons are far worse than he is.

We are in a war for our survival, while their ultimate goal is our [/b]extermination[/b]. Get real: it is near impossible to teach them peaceful ways (too many fanatics).

[/ QUOTE ]

so let these people kill each other, what do you care? there is no proof what-so-ever that i have seen nor heard of that they would choose to use any weapons against the US, who says that their ultimate goal is our destruction?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
if we don't intend to teach them anything then i suppose that means we have to move in and run teh country for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's not war.
That's the peace that comes after the war.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
It's not about teaching anyone anything, it's about extracting revenge on the wrongdoings of terrorists against Americans. The need to point the finger at someone for the atrocities of 9/11, and Saddam being the easiest scapegoat with his history.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
It's not about teaching anyone anything, it's about extracting revenge on the wrongdoings of terrorists against Americans. The need to point the finger at someone for the atrocities of 9/11, and Saddam being the easiest scapegoat with his history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting theory.
That would explain why we've waited a year and a half.
Care to hazard a guess at what Clinton was exacting revenge for in Somalia, Haiti, Sudan, Afghanistan, and Bosnia?