Peak Matterhorn questions

I'm looking for a small keychain light to use for reading and walking at night. I've pretty much decided on the Peak Matterhorn, but I don't know whether to get the single LED or three LED version. On Peak's site, they list the runtime as 12 hours for both. If anyone has or has used both, can you tell me if this is accurate? It seems like a light with an identical power source, that uses more current, would deplete the power source sooner.

I also read on flashlightreviews.com that this light is regulated, but the runtime graph they supply looks a lot like an unregulated light, the current drops as the forward voltage drops in to a fixed load. Their runtime graph for the McKinley looks like what I'd expect from a regulated light.

Lastly, it seems that most people get white lights, and I want a red one. From my observations, it seems like most red LEDs have more beam artifacts than white ones, is Peak the same way? or can I expect a nice smooth red beam?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... Peak Matterhorn, but I don't know whether to get the single LED or three LED version....
... From my observations, it seems like most red LEDs have more beam artifacts than white ones, is Peak the same way? or can I expect a nice smooth red beam?

I have a few Matterhorns with white LEDs. The 3-LED models are brighter than the single LED models though the 3-LED lights have artifacts instead of producing a perfect circle of light. I would expect similar results no matter what color LEDs are used, though the beam may be tighter with red than white.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have several matterhorns. They are semi-regulated which I think is the right approach. The useful runtime depends on the configuration you choose. For the brightest setup (3 leds ultra power) it's not anything like 12 hours. But I ran the 1-led "high" power setup for something like 1 week nonstop before extinction. It was very dim at the end, of course. The realistic runtime for that setup was maybe 8-10 hours, I don't remember.

They are good solid lights but not brightness champions.

This would be used for covert navigation in very dark areas, reading inside a tent, and mostly in very dark conditions. I'm not looking for high brightness as much as beam quality and consistent brightness. From the flashlight reviews graphs, it looked like the single LED version has a slower initial drop.

Has anyone seen beamshots of a red Matterhorn?

redledz

Newly Enlightened
I searched several threads trying to find a white beamshot of a matterhorn. Very difficult to find. Have not seen a red one, but do recall reading a post where someone bought a red peak for a gift and the friend did not like it cuz the beam looked like it had a dice pattern in it. I think it's kind of a hit and miss factor with the beam quality on colored leds based on the ones I own and what I've read on these forums. Like you said though, they tend to have artifacts to some degree. I put a piece of scotch tape over a red inova x5 and it smooths out the beam nicely. And though I like the relative whiteness of my matterhorn, the beam pattern is fairly ugly.

heres a recent thread on red leds too
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169219

paulr

Flashaholic
Oh forgot the red led issue. All red leds I've seen have crap in the beam unless they use diffusers or textured reflectors to smooth it out. The scotch tape suggestion is pretty simple. Or you could rough up the led envelope with extra fine sandpaper. Really though, the crap in the beam is just cosmetic, it's not an issue for functionality.

If you want a REALLY unobtrusive red light try the Rigel Skylite, which is made for astronomers, uses a deeper red (660 nm) led than most other red flashlights, and has adjustable brightness down to ultra-dim.

LowWorm

Enlightened
On all the white, 1-LED (5mm) Peak lights I've tried, the beam pattern wasn't the prettiest. The multiple LED models were much better (smoother, less artifact-y), but I wouldn't expect a perfect beam either way. I'd expect the same to be true of the colored LEDs.

Good luck with your decision!