More LED Mag mods: Quad and Quinta Q4 Chromies

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished a couple more multi-emitter Mag mods - a Quad XR-E Q4 WH in a chrome C Fivemega 2 X 18650, and a Quinta flavor in a D size nickel FM 700L (3 X 17670).

Both use the PXR heatsinks, Shark converters, and external dimming pots. The C lights' PXR is low stain copper, and the D's is alum. The D PXR was modded with a bolted and epoxied alum disk to accomodate the five emitters. The mating face of the PXR was sanded flat to eliminate the original emitter slots and maximize heat transfer. The button head bolt serves several purposes - clamping the disk and sink together when epoxing, additional thermal mass/path, and as a means of applying torque when installing or removing.

To ensure best possible heatsinking in the Quinta, I assembled the head/PXR/tube so that the PXR bottoms out on the tube. I did this by seating the modded PXR's new flange against the bottom of the head. The I generously epoxied the head and tube threads, and threaded them together until the tube butt up against the PXR. I removed the PXR, wiped away the extra epoxy, and reinstalled it with copious amouts of Arctic Alumina. What oozed out inside the head was wiped clean, then the prewired LEDs were epoxied in place. Perhaps small details, but the Quinta puts out some serious heat @ 930 mA, and any advantage in dealing with it is prudent. Especially since my modded PXR is not an ideal solution, a one-piece sink would be better. The paths seem to be working well. Left unattended on hi, the entire light bezel to tail will get very warm. For the 5 - 10 minute durations I've run it for so far it doesn't get alarmingly hot, but very very warm.

Both Sharks were mounted on separate heatsinks fabricated from 1/16" alum.

The Quad uses McR19XR reflectors with Mirageman centering rings, and the Quinta uses McR17XRs which have an integral ring. Lenses are UCLs with the Quinta using the thicker 3mm version.

Vf of the Quinta string was 16.9 V @ 350 mA, and 18.7 V @ 1000 mA. At a Vin of 11.1 V (3 X Li-ion), the current draw is 1.8 A. Max current to LEDs measured 930 mA, and 500 mA with the log pot at the center detent.

The dimming pots are mounted and epoxied into tapped holes.

I love the Shark/pot combo. You can virtually infintely vary the output from zero and make a very bight light a very dim one. The ultra low is just as useful as the ultra bright. And anyone can master the UI instantly and has fun operating it.

Currently the Quinta is handicapped since I have only (2) 17670s and am running a dummy. This is taxing the Shark, and I anticipate slightly better performance with the full trio of cells. More cells are on the way.

Even on two cells, when I fired up the Quinta and compared it to my M6 HOLA, my first thought was that there was something wrong with my M6. I recalled it being much brighter and thought perhaps the M6-R needed a recharge. It did. But even after a full charge, the Quinta more than holds it's own. It doesn't have the searing hotspot of the HOLA, but the spill is much brighter and it puts out more lumens overall according to my eyes.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Zep, you're doing some great mods! I like those trim pots as well. How water tight are they? The WH is a nice tint bin as well IMO.

XFlash

Enlightened
Nice looking mods, I like the added knob too.
Thanks for sharing.
Very nice job.
Tim

waynejitsu

Enlightened
Will you be selling any mods?
PM me if yes, to make sure I get the message.
Thanks!

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Zep, you're doing some great mods! I like those trim pots as well. How water tight are they? The WH is a nice tint bin as well IMO.

Eric, the trim pot housing to tube union is very watertight, threaded and sealed with epoxy. I'm not sure about the pot shaft/housing joint though. I'm guessing it's splash resistant, but not pressure proof. Another thought I had was to sandwich a small O-ring under the knob that contacts the tube to help seal the shaft, just haven't tried it yet.

I like the WH tint too, nicely warmer but not green.

Tim, the C knob is a Digikey part, modded at the base for lower profile mounting. The D knob is a salvage part from a defunct stereo amp, also with a cut base.

Waynejitsu, thanks for the flattery. I'll be in contact if I decide to let any of these go in the future.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mods Dennis. :twothumbs

I'm just wondering why I didn't see them before now... :thinking:

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mods Dennis. :twothumbs

I'm just wondering why I didn't see them before now... :thinking:

I was thinking the same, how did I miss this thread.

Great work Zep, you have been having fun with mags lately.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Robban is right, the FM 700L is tri-bored to accept the cells in a holder.

Assuming the 1800 mAh cell rating is correct, 85% converter efficiency, and the 18.7 Vf measured at 1 amp, I estimate a runtime of about 1 hr on hi. I'm using Ultrafire cells which are usually overrated, so 45 minutes should be a reasonable real-world estimate.

I received more cells and am now running it on the full bank. One thing I noticed is that now the emitters will glow faintly with the pot turned down. Previously running the light on 2 cells, the emitters would be not light within the first 1/8 turn of the pot.

Also, on 2 cells the light would step down in brightness after several minutes on high indicating the Shark was overworked. Wayne had mentioned that the Vin should be more than 1/2 of the Vf which is not the case on 2 cells. With 3 cells the light does not step down and can run flat out.

I prefer the 700L form over the 2 X 18650 C size. The shorter length looks better IMO, but the built-in charging jack is very convenient with the C. Both have comparable throw, with a very slight edge to the C due to the larger reflectors. The Quinta has more spill and puts out noticeably more light overall.