Wanting To Replace P3DCE. But What With ???

fluke

Enlightened
Need some advice please ladies and gentlefolk.
I want to replace my P3DCE with something AA powered.
I would like same sort of output, same size and forum factor, same runtime.

Obviously the above only needs to be close to the P3DCE, this will be my pocket EDC.
All suggestions invited.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
The light that comes to mind first is the L2-D CE.
Of course it's not as bright but I believe has the same functions and its output is very impressive for a light running on two AA's.
I recently discovered the Sanyo Eneloop batteries thanks to CPF and got some the next day, they certainly make the AA format lights more appealing.

When you say AA powered are you thinking primary alkaline (personally would not recommend especially now with the eneloops available) or are you also looking at Lithium-ion such as the 14500 also in AA size?

If you want a good all round light using rechargeable aa's I'd suggest the Fenix L2-D CE or if you're looking for something a little different I quite like my DexLight, it can use standard rechargeable, primary alkaline or li-ion rechargeable 14500 while maintaining all the functions of the U.I on which ever battery.

It's my understanding that the circuitry is not as good as Fenix especially on lower lever output, but I think it's a great light and very versatile also has a very smooth white beam.
The Dexlight will not give you the same runtime as the P3DCE but if I'm out and it's my only light I have a small battery container with a couple of spares ready to go.

I'm also interested in current and up coming AA lights so I am looking forward to see what people can suggest.

Simon :)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluke,

According to your sig, you already have a L2D-CE (if not the entire AA Digital family)--what about it do you not like?

From the runtime charts, running an LxD-CE on Turbo with Alkalines is a hit and miss affair (depending on brand). Running on NiMH rechargeables sounds like it would have met your needs almost exactly...

-Bill

Last edited:

redledz

Newly Enlightened
L2DCE is also was the first thing to pop into my mind also, but it seems you already have it.

Lumapower has the LM301 but that doesn't really meet your specs.

You may want to look at Dealextreme's cree lights as they have a few 2 AA models.

ensile

Enlightened
replace the emitter for a q5 and run around with that for a few months.. that would toast everything for size/output ratio.

fluke

Enlightened
OK maybe I should have been more clear on the subject.
I'm wanting to get away from CR123's the P3DCE is perfect for my needs. smaller than The L2DCE which I have, much brighter on turbo.

I know the L2DCE is only an inch longer but it makes a difference for comfort in your pocket, when I spend 8-10 hours a night sitting in the car.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK maybe I should have been more clear on the subject.
I'm wanting to get away from CR123's the P3DCE is perfect for my needs. smaller than The L2DCE which I have, much brighter on turbo.

I know the L2DCE is only an inch longer but it makes a difference for comfort in your pocket, when I spend 8-10 hours a night sitting in the car.

Why not use AW brand RCR123 protected rechargeables on your P3D. He calls them ICR123 750 mAh.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
An L1D-CE upgraded to Q5 emitter by 4Sevens running 1xNiMH?

The rechargeable RCR123's run fine in a P3D--about 1/2 the runtime and the light seems to go "black" rather than dimmer or blinking battery warning...

-Bill

fluke

Enlightened
The P3DCE is going to be replaced but there does not seem to be an alternative that runs on AA's trying to standardise my light's to be AA and AAA only.
Guess it will have to be the L2DCE but it's not quite what I wanted.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the correct conclusion.
Since a CR123 is smaller and more powerfull than an AA-cell Alkaline/Nimh, there is no way to replace a light with the same attributes.

Best regards

____
Tom

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest looking for a flashlight that runs on a 18650 battery for long runtime and it's rechargeable with a Cree.

fluke

Enlightened
I have the FlashCrazy modded Coast Hocus Focus for my door number spotting in the dead of the night.
But need a back up, which the P3DCE serves well, just trying to cut down the amount of difference cells I have to carry.
Plus any chance to buy a new light ;)

EDIT: If my 4D mag was not so big I would go for a Malkoff Drop In.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Perhaps I missed something, but if you are in the car for 7 to 8 hours at a crack, use your L2D and just leave it on the seat. If you are in and out of the car and want to leave a backup in your pocket, get the L1D body for your L2D head, or get one of the Q2 LOD's from fenix-store.
Given the speed with which emitter efficiency is improving, it may not be long before there is a 1 AA flashlight that matches your wishes.

fluke

Enlightened
Thanks people :D
I am going to go for a P3DCE 100 which should do the trick :thumbsup:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D 100 is a limited run version of the P3D with a 100 lm/W Lumileds Rebel instead of a Cree.

OK, if you leave the P3D100 on TURBO in your pocket for half an hour will it be hotter or cooler than the standard P3D ?