Lots of new LEDs at Walmart (Energ folding LED Lantern is BACK)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to walmart last night and found they had restocked/reorganized the flashlight shelves. Lots of new lights.

First off, the LED ENERGIZER FOLDING LANTERN IS BACK, but in a new incarnation - 3 LEDs inside a fully translucent LED flip section (no translucent tubes) and a white strip opposite the LEDs to reflect the light back toward the LEDs. The result is that you can flip up the LED section and have 360 deg light. Flip it down and it rests on a reflective silver panel on the battery compartment for directional light. Still has two levels and 4 AA cells.

The second Energizer light is a flashlight that pulls open to a lantern mode. A single 1 watt Luxeon provides the light (4 AAA cells) and it has a unique feature - when you pull it open two little spring loaded trap doors close off the hole in the reflector, sending the light back into the lantern part.

The new Rayovac headlamp was there - 1 AA, two red 5mm LEDs, one blue 5mm LED and a 1 Watt LED behind a lens. A flipable diffuser can move back and forth between the 5mm LED side and the lensed 1W LED.

A new Rayovac 1AAA penlight was there (I purchased one - $2.97!!) - very small and stylish in blue, orange/rust or silver anodized aluminum. There's a rubber ring around the middle for grip and the entire surface has a ring-ridge texture. The LED sits behind a lens and it produces a spot of light like a typical incan. penlight bulb. The plastic clip is sure to break off under stress, but overall a nice little penlight with a low level of output, but sufficient for close tasks. The LED module can be fully and easily unscrewed from the body making it appear to be a great candidate for mods!

There were multiple others as well, including the new Rayovac 3 Watt and rechargeable LEDs.

Garrity (I believe) now has a 1 watt 2 AA aluminum that looks a lot like a Minimag for about half the price of the MagLEDs.

The MagLED 2AA and 3AA are on clearance for 19.00.

Of course, the incan section is getting smaller and smaller as a result of all these LEDs... It will be interesting to see when they finally push out the $0.99 incans. (if ever!)

Meanwhile, over at ****s sports, you may find a new small Coleman lantern which takes 4AA, is very small, frosted plastic globe, one level only, incan., which is begging for an LED mod. I stuck an LED bulb with some dummy cells inside and it works great.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4343-701&categoryid=1045

Also, at my ****s I found 2 2AA Princeton Tec Quest headlamps on clearance for $15 each, for which I ordered some SMJLED PR bulbs (since they discontinued the Matrix 2 - the LED version of the Quest). Should result in low output headlamps for emergencies that run almost forever. I may plop them in the cars with lithium AAs for tire changes, etc.

Doug P.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed in 2 Wallys that the torch secion was under work.

I wonder why the MagLED's ar ebeing cleared out?

I may P/U some more just because :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a trip is in order. I need some gifts for the Christmas and birthdays, and a few 2AA and 3AA MM's might just be perfect.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful with the Energizer pull out lantern when loading batteries. I have the old 2X brighter 5mm LED version. 2 of the batteries go in -ve against the springs in the carrier. The other 2 needs the +ve against the springs! Always check the + and - engravings on the carrier before inserting battery.

Skibane

Enlightened
The new Rayovac headlamp was there - 1 AA, two red 5mm LEDs, one blue 5mm LED and a 1 Watt LED behind a lens. A flipable diffuser can move back and forth between the 5mm LED side and the lensed 1W LED.

This is a particularly welcome development - It's about time someone realized that one AA cell is smaller and lighter than three AAA cells, without giving up much in run-time!

Although the blue LED is mostly a gimmick, the two red LEDs could be handy...

Anyone happen to know if the 1 watt white LED is dimmable?

DaveG

Enlightened
This is a particularly welcome development - It's about time someone realized that one AA cell is smaller and lighter than three AAA cells, without giving up much in run-time!

Although the blue LED is mostly a gimmick, the two red LEDs could be handy...

Anyone happen to know if the 1 watt white LED is dimmable?
Not on mine,1st red leds then,blue led,last white 1-watt,then off.