Has CD/DVD Lightscribe technology gotten better?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Benq lightscribe DVD recorder is the better part of two years old as is my DVD/CD media which at the time costs considerably more then it's regular counterparts. But I never used it much as the results are pretty bad, mainly this yellowish very low contrast image which is why I still have some media left. I know the media has gotten cheaper but has the technology changed at all so the printed result is better?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting one once, but just couldn't justify the expense as I don't burn CD's as much for customers as I do myself (and for myself a Sharpie does the job fine)

I'm sorry to read that it didn't work well. I haven't heard about improvements.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if it has gotten better. I guess the newer discs can be burned in half the time. Some of the software may be better.

I've heard you have to turn up the contrast a lot to get a decent image.
I've also heard of people burning the same image again to get more contrast.

And I've heard that the image on a CD is sharper than the image on a DVD. Apparently that's because a DVD has a polycarbonate layer on top that the laser must pass through and that makes the image fuzzy. CD's have no such layer on top.

Kinda strange when I think about it because there is a polycarbonate layer on the bottom that the laser passes through to read or write.

I lightscribed one DVD just to see what it looked like. Not terribly impressive but it looks more professional than ones I write on with a Sharpie.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Just thought I'd :bump: this. I'm thinking about a new laptop and noticed an HP w/ LightScribe. I imagine HP's are the only laptops with it. Any thoughts on LightScribe or HP/Compaq laptops?
I know the best deals on laptops will be over the next month or so, so should I start a new thread on laptop thoughts :)?

gorn

Enlightened
I needed a small laptop for travel so i picked up an HP with a 12.1" screen. The reason I chose the HP was because it was the only one with a good graphics adapter in it. Most in the 12" range have that crappy intel video chipset.

This laptop has lightscripe but i've not used it so I have no idea how good it works. I bumped it's ram up to 4g and it has a duo core AMD processor. It runs anything that i've put on it. The only thing I don't care much for is the screen. It is also a tablet pc so the touch screen isn't as clear as I am used to. It still has good video, but it's just a little different.

Over all I am very pleased with this laptop.