Am I reading this correct? Surefire G2 LED??? Can someone confirm?

rookie

Enlightened
Yes, Matt at BatteryJunction mentioned it earlier. It appears the LED is going to be a SSC, not a Cree. Also, Surefire is coming out w/ a 6P, also w/ the SSC.

It's also suppose to come out on the first week of August.

Erzengel

Enlightened
How does the Surefire regulation circuit work? The Fenix is designed to deliver a constant output for nearly the complete runtime. This is a huge stress for the battery.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am definition ALL IN for one of the 6P versions of the new SureFire lights.
In terns of value for money? SureFire has a great market share in the LEO equipment must haves. I rarely see a police officer without a 6P.
That said these are drop in replacements for those end users. The advantages are obvious. Keep in mind that the target market for these lights are truly professional users. They EDC these every day. The 6P Is extremely reliable. as such it has developed a Great reputation.
So it would be natural for them to retire their old 6P and replace it with one of the new lights form SureFire.
My first "real" flashlight was a green 6P from laserdevices (I think) I still own it.
All that said I have a feeling that this light will be a fine and very cost effective addition to m collection.
It might even replace my 6P on my work belt.
I really like the 2 cell form factor.
As of late I have noticed that many manufactures have gone to a slimmer 2 cell body. They aren't nearly as robust as the thicker walled 6P and 27lt type of light.
The heavy duty 6P really is extremely durable. I am quite sure the G2 version will also be extremely strong and able to take a whole bunch of abuse.
At somewhere between $50 and $60 these new lights represent a great deal. Knowing SureFire they will have put a lot of effort to make the beam as perfect as possible.
To me this is much more exciting than the smaller Surefire lights with Cree/Seoul emitters.
I wonder if SF will sell a turbo head for these?
I have a 6P which I added a turbohead and extension making it a 9P with the turbo head Man what a light. I hope we will be able to play surefire legos with these!!
Count me IN.
Yaesumofo

Size15's

Flashaholic
Both the 6PL and G2L use the same P60L LED Lamp Assembly featuring a SSC LED in a reflector.
As for the specs, I feel that we should wait to see the output/runtime charts people do for these as SureFire's runtime rating is the total runtime rather than the runtime to 50% that CPFers are normally more interested in.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
G2 incan versus G2 LED

Had anyone compared the two?

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Re: G2 incan versus G2 LED

No, since the G2L isn't out and likely won't be for several weeks if not months.

Darn. I saw it on Surefire's site, and thought it would have been available.

Thanks for letting me know.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darn. I saw it on Surefire's site, and thought it would have been available.

Good eye, I hadn't even noticed that they were up on the SF site. What's wierd is the 6PL is listed at 11 hours, the G2L at 12 hours. I'd have to imagine they use the same LA if they're anything like their incan counterparts.

jbosman1013

Enlightened

if you noticed it said 11 hours of useful light levels. I tried going to their web site yesterday and it was down, i had a feeling something new was going to be there.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened

Does anyone know when the G2L will start shipping?

There must be some dealers here, or people that otherwise have contact with Surefire reps.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know when the G2L will start shipping?

There must be some dealers here, or people that otherwise have contact with Surefire reps.

It should be shipping to dealers as i speak. And then dealers should begin shipping out pre-orders when they get them.

"Lux or Cree?"

I don't know yet. I would probably say Lux but it would be a pleasant surprise if it was Cree.

jbviau

Enlightened

In other threads I've read that the G2L and 6PL have Seoul emitters.

filibuster

Enlightened

OpticsHQ is having a pre-order for the G2L and 6PL on a thread over on cpfmarketplace.com

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=167585

He said " The 6PL-BK, G2L-BK, and G2L-YL are ALMOST here. As of today (July 25), they are scheduled to ship either last week of this month or first week of August (which means we should have them next week or so)!"

Pax et Lux

Enlightened

Latest entry - today - in the above marketplace thread:

"These have been shipped from SF yesterday and will be in our warehouse tomorrow!!!"

Expect first reviews then for the weekend!

EDIT: Filibuster - Thanks for the above link. I was unaware of this thread, so you've saved me a lot of searching.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome. I had no idea they were this close to being out. My concern in deciding between the two is the heat-sinking of the G2 since it has the nitrolon body. Anyone have any ideas?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put my own drop in...with a cree...sold by DX and others. I haven't run it for more than 20 minutes...gets warm.....it's my favorite small light. I'm sure the Surefire version will be even better than a drop in, but it's very good like this. MY drop in is not extremely powerful- which is probably better- since the light body won't conduct heat as well.