SureFire Cree LED bins?

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Does anyone know what bins SureFire is using in its new Cree lights?

I would think P4 at the very least and hopefully Q bins. Hopefully as better Cree bins are released SureFire will put them in their lights. An L1 with an R5 bin Cree . . . :thumbsup:.

I would think its fairly safe to assume that the Titan uses a U bin SSC P4 led.

(Mods please delete this thread, if this question has already been asked/answered.)

ensile

Enlightened
Does anyone know what bins SureFire is using in its new Cree lights?

I would think P4 at the very least and hopefully Q bins. Hopefully as better Cree bins are released SureFire will put them in their lights. An L1 with an R5 bin Cree . . . :thumbsup:.

I would think its fairly safe to assume that the Titan uses a U bin SSC P4 led.

(Mods please delete this thread, if this question has already been asked/answered.)

well, if cree stop making p4, then perhaps they will, if not, whatever is cheaper?

if they state minimum lumens, this is a good opportunity to do that, i'm sure as cost of qx and eventually rx come down, then I really hope so, that would be really sweet.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I would guess that it would be the top or if not top level bin then not far from it. As i've always been assured that SF uses the top level of what they can get. (Not by PK specifically)

luminata

Enlightened
If SF is using top bins why the variations in tint/output ? I have seen c cpl posts on CPF where someone gets 2 L1s or 2 E2L and the tint on one is greenish or the other has less output. I Dont think SF puts anymore effort into using premium bins than Fenix or any other company.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire do not seem to place the same degree of importance that some/many CPFers do to the issue CPFers have with LED tint but that does not mean that SureFire aren't very selective when it comes to the bins they use.

Al

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If SF is using top bins why the variations in tint/output ? I have seen c cpl posts on CPF where someone gets 2 L1s or 2 E2L and the tint on one is greenish or the other has less output. I Dont think SF puts anymore effort into using premium bins than Fenix or any other company.

Because there is plenty of variation of tint and output even within bins. It's likely that not every individual LED is tested as it comes off the production line, rather they test a sample from every batch.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

All I know is that Q bin Cree's I had on order and confirmed were confiscated by the distribution network and sent to SF instead of to me. I am aware that SF was always getting the cream of the top from Future in terms of flux binning.

I think SF DOES give a care about the flux bins of the LED's they use but they have no interest what so ever in specifying what they use to their customers; most of whom wouldn't know what a bin distinction meant in the first place. :rolleyes:

You can take two LED's from the same tape reel and see a difference in tint as well as output between them. It has been my experience that the difference in tint is more pronounced than the difference in output but what do I know. :shrug: I certainly have a lot more opinion than knowledge.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened

As said by everyone else. The top of the line bin doesn't mean that there won't be variations in tint or output.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the Fenix store jumped from Q2 to Q5 in what they have available on the cutting edge. Makes you wonder what happened to Q3 & Q4. Maybe Surefire happened.

luminata

Enlightened
I guess it's more the nature of the beast (LEDs) than anything else. I thought the new Cree LEDs were supposed to be much less prone to tint variations etc. ? or is it still the same rules apply as with Luxeons?

easilyled

Flashaholic
It depends what you define as a top bin.

Q5 is the highest output available - the tint available at the moment is WG.

Do you consider this combination to be a top bin or would you
prefer Q4 WC?

Depends whether you prefer whiter (WC) or warmer (WG)
Some prefer one, some prefer another.

Surefire probably realise that nobody has the same taste in tint, but
everybody likes higher flux (output), since that is usually an indication
of a more efficient led.

luminata

Enlightened
I myself prefer warmer but hearing of greenish tints or purplish tints might suggest no discrimination based on tint at least.