EOS rotating diffuser!

fishx65

Enlightened
Came up with an idea! The new Rayovac 1AA headlamp has a really cool rotating diffuser on it. After taking the diffuser off the Rayovac, I placed it over the lens of the EOS and it works fantastic. I just need to figure out a way to secure it to the EOS so it can be rotated back and forth over the optic. This may involve drilling or glueing a small post next to the optic for the diffuser to rotate on. I'm gonna work on this mod when I get some time this week and will post my results.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Sounds like a great idea. I really like the Rayovac 1AA headlamp - the pure white tint of the luxeon is very impressive. The diffuser is a great idea.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Petzl Myo XP has this diffuser, and I've sung it's praises for quite awhile. I think most headlamps should have such a setup.

fishx65

Enlightened
Went on a night fishing adveture last night with my trusty EOS instead of the new Rayovac. This time I taped the diffuser from the 1AA Rayovac to the lens of the EOS. Made the EOS one heck of a nice floodlight! The EOS was much easier to use and way brighter then the new Rayovac. All spot headlamps should have a fold down diffuser!!!!! Does anyone know if you can purchase some plastic diffuser material like this to use on other lights? The only thing that comes to mind are those big diffuser sheets that go over flourecent basement lights.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Does anyone know if you can purchase some plastic diffuser material like this to use on other lights? The only thing that comes to mind are those big diffuser sheets that go over flourecent basement lights.

If you live in North America, try
prodshotpressnsealvq8.jpg

Cheap and removable without leaving a nasty residue. Someone suggested using it on the RiverRock 4AA LED laterns when they first came out because the light was very harsh with a lot of glare. So he tried some Glad Press'n'Seal. Works pretty well too. It does cut down on the light output, but smoothed it out really well. And cheap. And if you don't like it, just peel it off. And if you really don't like it, just use it like it was intended for, sealing up leftovers. :D

fishx65

Enlightened
Got it done! The whole diffuser assembly comes right off the Rayovac. I just super glued it on the face of the EOS. Works perfect! It's very easy to reach up and rotate the diffuser on or off. I will probably use it with the diffuser most of the time but it's gonna be nice to have the spot available when needed. It almost looks like it came from the factory like this! I tried taking some pics with my camera phone but they are kinda blurry so no go.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it done! The whole diffuser assembly comes right off the Rayovac. I just super glued it on the face of the EOS. Works perfect! It's very easy to reach up and rotate the diffuser on or off. I will probably use it with the diffuser most of the time but it's gonna be nice to have the spot available when needed. It almost looks like it came from the factory like this! I tried taking some pics with my camera phone but they are kinda blurry so no go.
i have a pic request

fishx65

Enlightened
I thought someone would want some pics! I'll get a hold of a camera and take some pics this weekend. It looks exactly like it does on the Rayovac. If you look close at the pictures of the Rayovac you can see the small half moon shaped piece of plastic that holds the diffuser. This whole piece just pops off the Rayovac and includes the post that the diffuser rotates on. I had to cut down the original post a little so it would fit flush to the EOS body. Feels like the glue will hold it pretty solid so I should not have any problems with durability. It really does make the EOS a whole different animal!

kage

Newly Enlightened
I think it was on backpackinglight.com or thru-hiker.com that I saw a diffuser made for a P-tec Eos using plastic from a Walmart liquid soap refill container and clear duct tape. It was easy and cheap to make and seemed to work well. I meant to make one but never got around to it. I can't seem to find the article now though.

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if you can purchase some plastic diffuser material like this to use on other lights?

I have looked but never found anything. So for my MM with the TLE-5, I got an extra mm plastic lens cover and gave it a rubbing with the highest grit sandpaper I could find, just enough to make it dull. It works well. Also, try cutting a circle from a plastic milk jug. Not only is it a milky white, it usually has a texture to it as well. I did this for my daughter's flashlight so the LED would not be so bright should she shine it in her eyes.