Just found the perfect Lap Cooler for MacBook Pro

Phredd

Enlightened
I was looking in office supply stores, target, etc., but they were either too small or too big. I was in Crate and Barrel today and saw a plastic cutting board with four large rubber feet. The board is the same width and about 1" deeper. And the four feet hold the MBP about 1/4" off the board which will help keep it cool. It will certainly keep the heat off my lap.

I hope this will help anyone who can't stand the heat on their lap.

Phredd

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the heat just get through the cutting board after a while? I'm using this Targus Chill Mat right now. Gets its fan power from the MBP's USB port. It's fairly cheap and it works great!

I need it because at the moment I'm running Parallels and among all the other things it's Windows that really gets my laptop hot enough to fry an egg. I don't want it frying my lap, so this chill mat does a fantastic job. Only drawback is it's narrower than the MBP so it's a bit too narrow for super comfort across my legs.

Illum

Flashaholic
I usually just use a hardback book between the lap and the notebook....

my Toshiba does a good job of sterilizing me without it...you wonder who the devil thought of putting a celeron 2.8 in a laptop

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been doing the same with a cutting board from Walmart. The HP laptop exhausts its heat right on your left leg. Much improved with the board.

Geoff

Phredd

Enlightened
Doesn't the heat just get through the cutting board after a while?

I think the 1/4" gap is enough to dissipate the heat instead of how my lap used to insulate it. The fan has come on, but I haven't noticed any heat build up.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 1/4" gap is enough ...

Oh. Duh. Now I get it. I hadn't read your post carefully enough and thought the laptop was just sitting on the top of it. The board's upside down. Noooow I get it. Good idea. Glad it works well.