Fenix L0D CE or L1D CE?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a new Nite Ize case to hold my Nextel i560 and it looks like it can also hold a small flashlight. I am trying to decide between the Fenix L0D CE and the L1D CE. Can anyone give me some thoughts on how to choose one over the other? Is it simply the obvious issues of: size, brightness, and runtimes? Or are there any other issues that I ought to consider?

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have them both, and love 'em. :twothumbs

Also have that Nite-Ize case for my cell-phone.

Think you'd be happier with the smaller Fenix.

I would suggest you use Energizer L92 Lithium cells (AAA's).

Yes, i know they're a bit pricey, but it only uses 1 at a time.:)

They're well worth the added expense.

Hope this is helpful.

-

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also suggest rechargeables. Even with the cost of a charger, they cost far less to operate than alkalines. Each rechargeable cell will take over a thousand charges, the energy for which will cost you about a quarter total (for an AAA). That's opposed to alkalines, which cost about 50¢ apiece. For a thousand cycles, that's $500. So over 1000 cycles, you save about $450 for one cell (if your equipment cost $50), and $500 per AAA cell after that. More savings per larger cell, too. 1000 alkaline C cell cycles will cost $1000/cell if you get a good deal. 1000 rechargeable C cell cycles will cost $12 ($2-power, $10-cell), not including the small initial cost of the charger.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need to use the light fairly often and have room for it on the holster, I'd say go for the L1D since it has a clicky switch. For occasional use the L0D would be hard to beat for the size. Crazy bright, 10440 or not.

paulr

Flashaholic
Neither one of these lights is really any good on alkalines. Use either lithium or rechargeable. Rechargeable works ALMOST as well as lithium and reduces operating costs to near zero.

For the usage you describe I'd go with the L0D CE because of its smaller size. The L1* while a nice light is yet another piece of gear weighing you down. It's great to bring on a trip or something like that, when you think you might need a bright light. For everyday random use the L0* is bright enough, and hardly noticable in terms of weight.

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
I had the same dilemma when trying to choose, so I bought both. :) I cheated though: my gf needed a light as well, so I figured I'd let her choose one and I'd take the other. So when they arrived, she liked the L1D and took it, while I put the L0D on my keychain. It's perfect this way. She carries the L1D in her jacket pocket (but she doesn't have her jacket with her all the time). I have the L0D with me whenever I'm out. I carry my keys either in my pocket or on my backpack, and it's never too bulky.

I haven't yet needed more light than the L0D can provide, and I use it all the time. If I need more light, it's probably because I'm doing some kind of activity at night, and I'm prepared enough to bring along a good headlamp for that.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
I just bought a new Nite Ize case to hold my Nextel i560 and it looks like it can also hold a small flashlight. I am trying to decide between the Fenix L0D CE and the L1D CE. Can anyone give me some thoughts on how to choose one over the other? Is it simply the obvious issues of: size, brightness, and runtimes? Or are there any other issues that I ought to consider?

I'd prefer the L1D... for the brightness, and versatility, but also because I have too many things in my pockets already. I like the fact that L1D comes with a holster, and I wear it on my belt, right next to the cell phone pouch.