Ideas for Mag mod

KrisP

Enlightened
Hey,

I've just ordered a 2C Mag and need ideas on what mod to do to it... So far I have the following and would prefer to make something different;
- 2D (6AA) Aspherical Q2 Cree running from SOB1000 (1000mA), single mode. Use - spotlight/light sabre.
- 3D (9AA) Quad SSC P4 w/ stippled reflectors running from Shark @ 980mA max, with Flupic v2.2. Use - mainly flood.
- 6D ROP w/ fivemega 2.5" throwmaster head. Use - Long run time/hand warmer.

I'm thinking the 2C should just be BRIGHT with no regard to long run times, like 5 Cree's or something from a Shark. Is there any other step up boards that will take ~7.4v in and output ~17.5v I assume AW C-cells will be a must.

Any other ideas are more than welcome... Even HID if possible in a 2C. I have no idea where to start with HID though. Or an incandescent?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Another cheap thrill if you have parts lying around is 2 x Li-ion and a 4, 5, or 6 cell Magnum Star Xenon. Run the cells in another light to bring them to ~3.6. You'll still eventually instaflash, and life time is probably compromised, but it's a $2 bulb. There is probably a magic heater hose size that will allow 2x17670 or 2x18650 to work.

Just something fun while you are waiting for parts to arrive!

KrisP

Enlightened
It's not a $2 bulb in Australia :)

Ideally, i'd keep away from Li-ion totally, but 2.4v from 2 NiMH just won't cut it. So AW C-cells are the next easiest thing.

Can anyone tell me what HID involves? Where you get the HID components... I've only ever sen them in car headlights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
HID involves a ballast, battery, and a compatable bulb. The main problem, is the ballast. So far, I haven't seeen one that fits in a Maglite C body.

How about packing the head full of Crees with no optics and making the Ultimate Flood Light.