Headlamps with Cree or Seoul?

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Can folks tell me if there are headlamps available yet with Cree or Seoul emitters? I've been digging through posts but it's taking a long time and I gotta get some work done so I can pay for the thing :p

Perhaps if there's a decent list we could make a sticky?

mega_lumens

Enlightened
from the threads I think only Coleman has a Cree one, other than that, it's people making their own mods.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a couple that have been mentioned, but they're basically on indefinite hiatus. There's the Zebralight, which was introduced months ago but still hasn't been produced, and the one that 4sevens alluded to in the thread wishing for a Fenix headlight, which fell through.

Your best bet is finding a Lux model you like and modding it (with a Seoul, usually). The PT Eos is a popular one, and I myself enjoyed the results from an Argo HP.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only I know of are Foxfury, nice but overkill for most general outdoor hobbies and the Coleman headlamps which are due to arrive in August according to their lead engineer. So hopefully in a couple weeks we'll have some reviews of the Coleman cree headlamps.
:thumbsup:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can folks tell me if there are headlamps available yet with Cree or Seoul emitters? I've been digging through posts but it's taking a long time and I gotta get some work done so I can pay for the thing :p

Perhaps if there's a decent list we could make a sticky?

Supposedly, the second or so production run (begun in July) of the Coleman Exponent 1W headlamps uses a 1W Cree (i believe it's 1W and not 3W, the initial production run, of which i have a specimen, was a 1W Luxeon emitter).

Using a 1W Cree, while not perhaps giving the light output one is hoping for, at least has the virtue of a longer burntime than the Luxeon incarnation would provide.

If you're looking for a 3W Cree or SSC, at the present time, i know of none.

northman

Newly Enlightened
The german company Lupine has upgraded their "Wilma x" with ssc p4, 4 of them, and they claims 830 lumens on this bike\ headlamp,but you almost have to rob a bank buy it :broke:

jhscaver

Newly Enlightened
You could also buy a stenlight, get some reflectors from Jon Burlison and send it off to Scott Clawson to be reborn with the Seoul P4's. That's what I did and it's been worth every penny. But then that's because I cave with this, and therefore 400 smackers is just good insurance.:thumbsup:

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I think that's the nicest looking lamp assembly I've seen!
IMG_0896r.jpg

btw I converted the currency and it's $150 USD.

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
The Silva L1 uses a 3W Luxeon. Sweet head torch.

Haven't had a good look, but surely someone could fit a Cree in there :naughty:

Cheers,
Rod..

Just went searching... the Silva LX uses a 5 Watter...

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

lexina

Enlightened
runtimes are a bit short. annoying if you ahve to put in 3 aaa everytime it runs out

I guess it's a trade-off of weight vs capacity for using AAAs instead of AAs. At the lower level, it should hopefully run for 2-4 hrs. In any case, it's still a more efficient use of cells than the old luxeons.

juslearnin

Newly Enlightened
I guess it's a trade-off of weight vs capacity for using AAAs instead of AAs. At the lower level, it should hopefully run for 2-4 hrs. In any case, it's still a more efficient use of cells than the old luxeons.

I would be very interested to know what the actual real world output and run time to 50% are on the high and low mode if anyone gets their hands on one of these. Four hours on low would be great, I guess it just depends on how much power it draws in low mode. Thanks very much.

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a 18650 headlamp that had at least a high/low that ran for 3/6 hours. (700ma/350ma). Lumen output on one of the new LEDs should be 170/110 or so :D

*all figures estimates

moon lander

Enlightened
my main concern is that these new dx headlamps look like theyre made out of plastic. wont that melt with a cree at 3w? i wonder what the heatsinking is like.

seems like headlamps cant be driven as hard as flashlights cause a hot flashlight in the hand is much more comfortable than one strapped to your forehead.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
my main concern is that these new dx headlamps look like theyre made out of plastic. wont that melt with a cree at 3w? i wonder what the heatsinking is like.

seems like headlamps cant be driven as hard as flashlights cause a hot flashlight in the hand is much more comfortable than one strapped to your forehead.
And the preference for headlamps is for plastic, with its lighter weight and, um, lower thermal conductivity. Better wear :tinfoil: to protect against molten plastic.

Latest posts