L0D-CE vs P1-CE

weathermaker

Newly Enlightened
I'm debating between the L0D-CE and the new P1-CE for a pocket/keychain light. Is there really that much of a size difference between the two?

LOD-CE
pros: small, low&medium modes have long runtimes, can use 10440's
cons: costs more, short battery life on high with 10440's, unecessary strobe and SOS modes

P1-CE
pros: brighter, simple on/off operation, slightly cheaper
cons: uses CR123's, too bulky for pocket????

Does anyone have both and can give me a better comparison?
Thanks!

meuge

Enlightened
I definitely don't think that the P1 qualifies as a "pocket" light, unless you've got REALLY big pockets.

I would think that carrying it in the pocket will be rather uncomfortable. But then again, I think the L0D is too big for a pocket either. That's why I appreciate the Fenix belt holsters.

d1337

Enlightened
I have the LOD-CE and the P1D-CE. The LOD-CE is much smaller and easier to carry . The pocket clip on the LOD-CE makes it very easy to carry. I EDC the LOD-CE but never use the P1D-CE. I'm sure that the P1D-CE is slightly bigger than the P1-CE but the LOD-CE is just tiny.

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
I definitely don't think that the P1 qualifies as a "pocket" light, unless you've got REALLY big pockets.

I would think that carrying it in the pocket will be rather uncomfortable. But then again, I think the L0D is too big for a pocket either. That's why I appreciate the Fenix belt holsters.

pocket light or not is totally subjective, I pocket my P2D-CE everyday just fine

carrot

Flashaholic
The P1 is not a pocket light? Do you have really tight pants or something? It is about half as thick as my wallet, which is stuffed full of cards.

The L0D-CE is TOO BIG? Are we talking about the same light?

If the aforementioned lights are too big, please enlighten me as to what you DO carry, because I am always looking to downsize as well.

I think that the L0D-CE is a nice light, and a fantastic size for a keychain. The P1-CE is a bit big for a keychain in my opinion, but will slip easily and unnoticed into most pockets. I prefer the P1-CE over the L0D-CE because it has the simple on/off function, but one cannot deny the utility of having multiple outputs. If you like the idea of different brightnesses and don't mind a bit of increased size, but also want a brighter light, consider the P2D-CE or L1D-CE instead.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
I would prefer the P1 simply because it uses better batteries. It's also shorter than the L0D-CE. 14500's are not protected, whereas 16340's are/can be. The L0D-CE uses PWM for low and medium levels, but at least it has levels. I carry a P1D-CE in my pocket, and it's bigger than the P1. If you really want levels, go for the P1D-CE with a textured reflector. The low mode is good for 10 hrs and is plenty bright enough in an emergancy. Medium is good for 2.5 hrs and is plenty bright for most ordinary tasks. Use code = CPF8 at fenix-store.com for an 8% discount.

meuge

Enlightened
If the aforementioned lights are too big, please enlighten me as to what you DO carry, because I am always looking to downsize as well.
When I get the L1D body, I'll be carrying an L1D-CE in a belt holster. The only thing that I can stand hanging off my keychain is the Photon III. I guess the L0D-CE might be small enough to stuff in a pocket, but I am not stuffing anything more into my wallet pocket (too damn big already), and the other pocket is already full of keys and my ID/case (I can't keep it in the wallet - I use it too often).

LightScene

Enlightened
One other thing to consider is heat. It's been reported that the P1-CE gets hot after a few minutes. That was the deciding factor for me getting the P1D-CE, because I don't need multiple levels, but I don't want too much heat.

Another option which became available only very recently is the Hyperion CE-R. It's much like the P1D-CE but only half as costly: http://www.supertactical.com/unlimit...products_id=93

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other thing to consider is heat. It's been reported that the P1-CE gets hot after a few minutes. That was the deciding factor for me getting the P1D-CE, because I don't need multiple levels, but I don't want too much heat.

Another option which became available only very recently is the Hyperion CE-R. It's much like the P1D-CE but only half as costly: http://www.supertactical.com/unlimit...products_id=93

fix the link

paulr

Flashaholic
I have both. The P1CE gets a little bit warm after you run it for a while. This is unavoidable given the amount of power that it's using. If you hold it wrapped in your hand (your hand is a liquid coolant circulating system) that keeps it cool. Even just sitting on a table it takes quite a while to heat up, so I wouldn't worry about this heat issue.

The L0D CE has that annoying computer interface but on the other hand it's more pocketable than the P1CE (slimmer, doesn't make such a bulge in your pocket, and the height difference doesn't really affect this) and runs nicely on a commodity NiMH rechargeable AAA for guilt-free lumens.

I wish they would make a Cree version of the L1P or L1T. These AA lights are a bit slimmer than the P1 series and not that much longer. I'd carry one in preference to the P1CE. I'm not that crazy about cr123a powered lights in general. I prefer to use AA NiMH cells when I can.

Recently I got one of the MTE 1-level Seoul P4 AA lights (Fenix L1p clone more or less) so I've been edc'ing that, but it's somewhat less powerful than the P1CE if you're after absolutely max lumens. It uses a clickie that some people prefer, though the clickie is awfully stiff. It's a terrific value at 15 dollars and the Fenixes are overpriced by comparison. I do like the P1CE's no-nonsense twisty switch though, and the P1CE's build quality is a bit better, compared with both the MTE and with other Fenixes I've tried.

Note: P1D CE will get just as hot as the P1 CE, actually hotter at the max level. The P1CE's one level is like "high" (the one below "max") on the P1DCE.

Last edited:

weathermaker

Newly Enlightened

hmmm...I like the looks of this light now. Does anyone know any more information about it (direct driven or regulated, quality compared with Fenix, etc)? That made my decision even harder now...maybe I should just get all three! j/k!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L0D CE... runs nicely on a commodity NiMH rechargeable AAA for guilt-free lumens.

paulr

How well does the LOD CE work on NiMH compared to regular Alkalines [1.2v vs. 1.5v]? I think my next light will be a small AAA, CR2 or N cell light, and I want to use rechargables in it. I was wondering if the LOD-CE looses a lot of brightness on the reduced voltage of NiMH.

meuge

Enlightened
paulr

How well does the LOD CE work on NiMH compared to regular Alkalines [1.2v vs. 1.5v]? I think my next light will be a small AAA, CR2 or N cell light, and I want to use rechargables in it. I was wondering if the LOD-CE looses a lot of brightness on the reduced voltage of NiMH.

I am pretty sure that LOD-CE is regulated, so there should be no change in brightness at all. Only the mAh capacity of the battery and its maximum discharge current are important. The former determines runtime, and as long as the latter is higher than the maximum draw of the light, then you won't see any change at all in brightness.

carrot

Flashaholic
The L0D-CE will run better on NiMH. It will run longer on a good NiMH than your typical alkaline. Look for Chevrofreak's runtime graphs of the L0D-CE.