Lowest priced light for AR15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the lowest price way to get a light for an AR15? My buddy doesn't wanna spend the cost of 1/2 the rifle for a light

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walking around with a $1000 plus rifle and a cheap tactical light on it? That could be like putting cheap reloads in it for ammunition. I assume it is for defensive purposes? Never cheap out where your hide is concerned, there are plenty of decent lights out there for less than a couple hundred bucks.

What does he want in a light? Flood? A tighter beam? Highest lumen rating? Longer runtimes with less lumens? LED? Incad?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Tlr-1 at about $100.00 and you can get a remote tailcap with pressure switch for about $60.00 more.....

Otherwise spend some time on ebay looking at the surefire weaponlights, I've got a few great deals on some from there.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Walking around with a $1000 plus rifle and a cheap tactical light on it?
What does he want in a light? Flood? A tighter beam? Highest lumen rating? Longer runtimes with less lumens? LED? Incad?

Duct tape and AA maglite, $9.99! Woo-hoo!

Also, does he want US made? There are nice Ultrafires and nicer Wolf Eyes, but some might find it ironic to mount a Chinese light on an iconic US weapon. If so, look at the Surefire G2 ($36), Picatinny mount ($30), and pressure switch ($30).

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but I don't see the mounts anywhere. He wants to stick with reliable players, just not for $400

He is happy with the 9P, he just wants it modded.

Carrot, the M6 adds a decent amount of weight to it

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
does your buddy's AR15 style rifle have the screw holes for accepting the screw in picatinny rails? because if that's the case then a StreamLight TLR-1 LED can slide right on and would be awesome for CQB use

otherwise, he can always get a front sight block mount with rails on it, or a barrel mount and simply clamp your desired taclight onto the gun (will need a scope mount of appropriate diameter for the first option with the rails)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if the stuff is too expensive, their tactical catalog is pretty nice. Look in the downloads section at www.surefire.com

Tactical Products 2007 Catalog PDF

Last edited:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
He has a 9P?

Buy the Z32 Shock Isolated bezel. Buy a clickie tailcap (I think it is model# Z49). You can then rig up a mounting system with some duct tape and some stiff foam. I used a set-up similar to this to shoot coyotes a few years ago. It works fine and is super cheap but looks like trash, you pay an aesthetic price to save money on the mounts.

Alternatively Pentagonlight makes excellent handheld lights that are shock/battery isolated and are priced very well. You still need to figure out mounting options. Unless you are running around Ramadi I really think tape+foam is a fine mounting for flashlights, spend the money saved on ammo and mags.

Still moreso; the street price for a used Surefire 9V turbohead system is sub-300$ if you hunt around and wait a little bit.

Ask around here for some more detailed info: Here.

The TLR-1 is an excellent product but is really only suited for pistol use or indoor use when rifle-mounted.

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
If we are to be of any help, we really do need to know what he intends to use it for though... outdoor throwers for critter control versus an indoor style home gun for goblins of the street thug sort.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
This is my first post here.

I'm no light expert, but I do know a little bit about rifles and weapon lights.

From what you've said, I would go with a CREE upgraded 6P (or G2) with Z32 bezel and either a clicky cap or pressure switch (depending on the rifle's configuration) -- lots of lumens and fairly good reliability. This is going to be your least expensive, brand-name setup.

The mount depends on what, if any, rails the rifle has. If none, he can add one to the bottom of the standard handguard. This isn't a great setup, but it is cheap. Then the combination of a vertical forward grip and an offset light mount (GG&G, etc.) will put the clicky tail cap at a good position. Or, he can use a sight tower rail and pressure switch setup (with or without VFG).

If he has a railed forend, there are many, many options.

P.S. Forget the GG&G mount if money is tight. I just used that as an example.

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
I think he will be very happy simply dropping in a CREE module for his 9P (make sure it can take 9 volts though, or get a dummy/spacer) and mounting that to his AR

For mounting, if his foregrip has the mounting holes for add-on rails or he already has a railed setup, then a simple 1" scope mount ($10, you can always double up if needed) or Viking Tactics or Daniel Defense offset mount should do the job very nicely and at a reasonable price ($20, $50 respectively - the VT is plastic while the DD is metal)

If he doesn't want to go railed, there are always the traditional barrel mounts and front sight block mounts with a pressure pad attached to his 9P. I also wouldn't bother with a shock-isolated bezel if he's running LED.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he needs/wants a tape or pressure switch, don't get the nearly hundred dollar SureFire one unless he absolutely needs it in a custom length.
The Pelican switch uses the same threading, and is a lot less. Mine was only twenty.

tim003

Newly Enlightened
I didnot know some of you have EBR, anyways I just ordered the Fenix P3D light and thinking about put it on my AR. I am just going to use duct tape if I ever need to mount a light on my rifle.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walking around with a $1000 plus rifle and a cheap tactical light on it? That could be like putting cheap reloads in it for ammunition. I assume it is for defensive purposes? Never cheap out where your hide is concerned, there are plenty of decent lights out there for less than a couple hundred bucks.

HERE HERE! I AGREE! GEAR THAT SAVES YOUR BACON SHOULD NEVER BEEN BOUGHT ON THE CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.