Wanting To Go Bigger And Brighter

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
I'm new, and know little. So far I've bought an Eternalight 3 X-Ray and a Fenix P3D. I like them both for different tasks, but now I want something brighter. Ideally I'd like a flashlight that's about twice the size of the P3D with twice (or more) the power (throw). Is there an LED, or should I go to an incandescent? Or do I have to go with a lantern type? Specific suggestions are appreciated. Thanks - Larry

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always go the custom way. Check out the Custom Mod section of this forum. There are many types available on many hosts. Take some time to look around the offers by Milkyspit, Fivemega, McGizmo to name a few........all the best in your search for the ultimate light!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want twice the "throw", then because of inverse square law for light, you will need 4x as bright as light to an object twice as far away with the same amount of light returned to your eye...

So, if a P3D-CE is around 160 lumens, you will want a light that is 640 lumens or brighter (all things being equal--which they rarely are)...

This would be based on a beam similar to the P3D-CE. Of course, you could have a light with a tighter spot which will throw farther, but at the expense of spill and a smaller spot on closer objects (i.e., a laser has great throw with very low power, but a very small spot and no spill).

Generally lights with better throw have larger diameter heads (for same lumen input).

Comes down to want you want--a cheap 1,000,000+ candle power spot light with internal lead acid battery will be bright and throw well--but with a 25-35 watt bulb, they will not last much more than 15 minutes.

There is a lot done in the incandescent forum with ROP (Roar of the Penguin)--A standard bulb overdriven in, typically, an easily modified MagLight (several body options).

Certainly a very bright and usable light, that you built yourself, to your needs, with off the self parts and/or a few parts from CPF modders/vendors (glass lens, metal reflector, NiMH AA battery holders, etc.)...

I don't think you will find many LED module "drop-ins" that will do what you want yet... There are some limited run multi-Cree lights out there (seem to be a bit pricey right now), if that is more what you are looking for.

Really depends what is interesting to you.

-Bill

Burgess

Flashaholic
Or i could just give you a warning,

to quit while yer' ahead. :rolleyes:

Your wallet / credit cards will thank you for it. :broke:

You already have a better flashlight than any "normal" person will ever need.

Go now, and enjoy it. Don't look back.

(note: you won't encounter any such "normal" persons here on CPF)

Remember, i tried to warn you. :whistle:

Oh, and welcome to CandlePowerForums.

Read a lot, and spend a lot !

:cool:

-

paulr

Flashaholic
The P3D is close to the power limit of single led lights these days since the 5-watt Luxeons have gone out of fashion. If you want an exotic light there's an MR-X (5-watt X bin) on BST for around $400 and it will do about what you want, probably about the powerful single LED light ever made. Other than that you have to go multi-led, hotwire, or HID, and the multi-LED lights tend to have flood beams.

Anyway if you want something with reasonable runtime and you don't mind a lantern form factor, I'd consider the Amondotech N30 HID at $150 or so. It is about 10x as bright as your P3D (2500-ish lumens) and has enormously more throw, while still being reasonably portable (about 4 pounds, 70 minute runtime from included nimh pack). Downsides aside from the size are the warmup time (about 1/2 minute maybe?) and that once you turn it on, you should run it for at least 1-2 minutes to avoid building up crap in the bulb or something like that.

If you want to go just plain crazy, some USL waiting list slots show up on BST sometimes. That is a 3000+ lumen hotwire light that looks just like a 2D Mag. Runtime is around 10 minutes, it needs a special charger, etc. but it just amazes the heck out of people. It can set paper on fire from a few inches away and someone literally cooked an egg on it.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Step up to the HID plate. I have a Sam's 35W HID,a AE 24W HID,a Boxer 123 10W and a Microfire K500R 10W. Both the Boxer and the Microfire are my favorite big gun spots. I rarely use the sams anymore and I keep the AE in my car for emergencies. The little Boxer is small and light and has decent runtime at over an hour however it uses four 123s and its out put and color temp is not as pleasing as the Microfire. The Microfire is a little bigger and heavier and it really puts out the light probably 20% more than the Boxer even though they are both rated at 10w? But don't get me wrong I love that little Boxer! The Microfire is rechargeable and will run for nearly two hours on a charge. People complain about the slow startup time for hid and I would say it takes about 15 seconds for both of these to reach full brightness. When you first turn them on they are about as bright as any led within a few seconds. I have a P3D and an MRV and they seem really bright until I whip out one of my HIDs and then there is no comparison. If you realy wanted small you could check out one of those Jil lights at about $400 or go with a Boxer at $200 or Middle of the road Microfire at $300. Flashlights are like cars, lux/lumens and compactness equals money, how bright and how small do you want to go?

Michael

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas, at least now I have some ideas for the next level. - Larry