Whats the best thrower under $50?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys ... sorry for making another one of these threads but what would be the best thrower for under $50? Under $30? Thanks guys. I just got this MagLED 2D and I think it has some really really good throw. Am thinking about modding it to a SSC P4 Ubin but I was just wondering what is out there that would kill this given the price range. thanks

Newuser01

Enlightened
I'm not sure about newer LED's (ie. Cree, SSC and Rebel and such) But you can't really go wrong with Streamlight PP LUX on throw. I use it everyday working in the attic, closets and such.

The other day, I used it to find a house in a dark street and it lit up the street. It was dark and all the house numbers on mail boxes popped.

There is a big following on this board with this light. Search and you will be rewarded. I believe that you can pick one up for about 25 bucks.

Have fun.

carrot

Flashaholic
It used to be that one of the best throwers under $50 was the Streamlight TL-3 Xenon. Now with the advent of the new Cree and Seoul LED's I am now not so sure.

ensile

Enlightened
this is tough, because the d-mini is just over $50. but then again i don't know how well the mag mod in the first post throws. so... And I also don't know if anyone has modded a d-mini with a q4/5 yet, but I imagine that light with a q5 and a CR123a (3.7v) to be one hell of a throw king.

good luck.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Best throw? Buy this lens and install it in your MagLED in place of the stock window and remove the reflector.

See here.

Whole thread.

I thought that Luxeons have a very wide lighting angle and I would assume just removing the reflector would cause a lot of the light to just be lost within the head?

EDIT

I think I saw DX selling a flashlight that they claimed super far thrower for like $35 and looked kinda like the MRV with a really large head. Never heard about how it performed though.

The MRV is such a amazing looking light but so expensive.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think any $50 led light can outthrow a TL3. Or for super cheap, take a generic 2C light and shim out three CR123A batteries and put in a KPR112 bulb. Modern led lights kill these incans in battery efficiency but the incans win through pure wattage.

ensile

Enlightened
or that u2 clone, from the site in which we do not speak there of.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that Luxeons have a very wide lighting angle and I would assume just removing the reflector would cause a lot of the light to just be lost within the head?

The emitter is close enough to the lens so that almost all of the light emitted does, in fact hit the lens and leave as part of the beam. See the new post in the thread I linked to.

A lambertian (high dome) emission pattern means that a very large percentage of the light is emitted at an angle that happens to be very useful with a short-focus aspheric lens like the PL1028.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hmmm. . .At one time, a decent enough "thrower" in LED for the under $50.00/$30.00 was the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. . .

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 4aa propolymer all the way!!! Even better, mod it with a seoul emitter and you have a hell of a light!

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I don't think any $50 led light can outthrow a TL3. Or for super cheap, take a generic 2C light and shim out three CR123A batteries and put in a KPR112 bulb. Modern led lights kill these incans in battery efficiency but the incans win through pure wattage.

Haven't seen the TL3, but for the special case of the Aspheric Mag, an LED outthrows the common incans, simply because more of the light hits the lens directly, rather than hitting the reflector first. I have a 5D; even with fresh alkalines, Mag's 4D MagLed puts out more light, and better focused light, than an overdriven Magnum Star Xenon 4D.

ocharry

Newly Enlightened
i replaced the incan in my mag 2c-3cr123 with one of batt. junctions TLE-6EX led,, it is quite a thrower,,, it was with the incan,, and it don't take a back seat with the led,, and the battery life is 3 times better..... it will put the light down range,,,,,, TLE-6EX $24.95.......2c mag $15= $40:twothumbs

one for night stand,,,, one to play with:thumbsup:

try it ,,,you will like it

ocharry

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
I'm probably going to get crap for mentioning this but, I bought a Sam's Club 35 watt HID Spot for $38.00 shipped from Sam's Auction site a week ago. You can't fit it in your pocket but nothing out-throws it for under 50.00
Heli

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I'm probably going to get crap for mentioning this but, I bought a Sam's Club 35 watt HID Spot for $38.00 shipped from Sam's Auction site a week ago. You can't fit it in your pocket but nothing out-throws it for under 50.00
Heli

hahah wow isn't that really really cheap for an HID spotlight. The thing I hate so much about those things is the lead-acid battery inside them that craps out so easily.

Oh and the Tiablo A8 would probably be exactly what I'm looking for, but yeah .. wayyyy out of my price range.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Anything that throws like or better than a MagLED or MagLED modded with an SSC for the same price ranges up there? Less than $30 and less than $50?

x2x3x2

Banned
The UltraFire C2 or UltraFire Alpha C1 Q2 with smooth reflector are a couple of good choices at about $25+ each.