Inova X5: Is the new model better than the older one?

BigToque

Newly Enlightened
In the fall of 2003 I bought an Inova X5 based on some recommendations I had seen.

I don't really know anything about flashlights, but when I got the X5 I honestly wasn't too impressed.

I was looking for something that would be good for navigating around outside in the woods when camping, but the X5 just did not seem to put out very much light.

Is this new model with the Nichia LED's that much better than the 2nd generation?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is somewhat better than the older models (Gen 2). I don't have a Gen 1 X5. If you want some throw, you picked the wrong light as its all flood. Not your fault just something learned by experience. But X5's are tough and the cells last a lonngg time, I think somebody here had one run for a couple weeks on a set of cells. I'd give it a chance myself, they grow on you. You can always use it as a backup. Don't forget the battery polarity
is different on the X5, pos faces out instead of in. Also I would suggest buying a battery checker as there seems to have been some explosions lately. ZTS or something similar as a safety measure.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sure you got a real Inova X5 and not a counterfeit? It's one of the most common counterfeit lights out there (besides MiniMag knockoffs)

pilou

Enlightened
I am not sure whether I have a gen2 or gen3, but one must admit that it is not exaclty a very bright light. It is decent close range light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X5's,both are the latest version I believe,have output comparable to a LUX I .As mentioned earlier the X5 is all flood so it has no hotspot just a large floody spot.The X5 provides decent light for close range but will not throw a beam of light if that is what you are looking for.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5 is a great light, perhaps my most used, but like has been said it is all flood. It is all about expectations. It lights up a decent sized room very well, or around camp or tent and will do so for a long runtime. Those are its greatest attributes along with handy size. It is not a light you want to use when you want to light up across the yard well. If you want a light to light up say 40 or 50 feet away or better nicely, you will be better served with something else, say the new X0, X03, the AA Minimag LEDs or other lights.

Latest posts