SureFire lists the E1L at 3.3 inches... can that be true?

Nathan

Enlightened
I don't think it's 3.3" either. It's at least 3.9" based on the pics I've seen. I'll compare them side by side when I get the Cree version in a few days.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't do inches (I didn't study history at school so we weren't taught the old ways).
When I measure the length of a flashlight I lock it out, and measure from the tip of the rubber boot to the tip of the bezel. Of course I'd prefer to do this using digital calipers but since I don't have any a tape measure will have to do.

I'd say that the new E1L (with KX1) is 104 mm compared to the old E1L (with KL1) which is 101 mm.

The difference between the KX1 and the KL1 is approximately 2-3 mm.

Size15's

Flashaholic
My E1L Cree measures 4 inches long
Google says 4" is 101.6 mm.
Did you measure your E1L in the same way I did as I mentioned above?
There is going to be some variation in how much the knurled rubber switch button sticks out, and whether the TailCap is screwed on tight, or how well it is locked out etc.

I would be happy to call the both the new E1L and the old one 4" in length as for me, inches is a largely approximate 'rough & ready' system of measurement used to get a ballpark idea or length rather than to be used for designing and specifying technical requirements.

Al

ja10

Enlightened
Surefire.com also lists the E1E at 3.4 inches, and while I don't own either, I'm sure the E1E is shorter. I wonder if it is just a typo.

Nathan

Enlightened
Just got my new E1L yesterday. The body and tailcap are identical to the previous version, but the KX1 head is about 0.1" (2.54 mm) longer than the KL1.

CopyofIMG_6454.jpg

Also the bezel is significantly thicker on the KX1:

IMG_6455.jpg

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how something can be 'about' 2.54 mm longer. Not 2.53 or 2.55 but about 2.54! :nana: :devil:

I like your photos though!

Al :D

attempting to account for error/tolerance in the measuring system?

BTW, my E1L with KX1 head measurement appears to be between 104 and 105 mm in length.

EV_007

Enlightened
Tailcap screwed all the way down with batteries inside. Very slight variation in the alignment of light to the ruler due to the carpet flex.

:oops:

l1_size_ruler.jpg

flash_bang

Enlightened
I remember In the chronicles of riddick that some mercs were playing chess with bullets.
hago,
Flash

cbxer55

Enlightened
Google says 4" is 101.6 mm.
I would be happy to call the both the new E1L and the old one 4" in length as for me, inches is a largely approximate 'rough & ready' system of measurement used to get a ballpark idea or length rather than to be used for designing and specifying technical requirements.

Al

When I used to work at Northrup Grumman on the B2 Stealth Bomber program, we measured everything in 10/1000s or a quarter inch was known as .2495 / .2525. To me that works just as well as some of the metric measurements you all use over there.
Personally I hope the U.S.A. never goes the way of metrics.
That would be bowing to the E.U.:thumbsdow

Latest posts