Rayovac 3 Watt 2AA, anyone got one?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one of these up at Wal-Mart and after doing some searches I can't find any topics about this light. They rate it at 80 lumens, it has a FORWARD momentary clicky, twist for constant on. It has an adjustable focus head, a pocket clip, and a lanyard. It's rated water resistant. It was about $26. It came with 2 Rayovac AA's and they rate it to run for 2 hours.

Anyone got one?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's the nuwai x3 and the RR camo.
decent regulation with nimh but runtime is a bit short. looks as bright as an l2d on high.

fishx65

Enlightened
The Lux Lottery is really in play with this one and it's 1AA baby brother. I was lucky to get a very bright and white 3 watt camo version at Target. If your lucky enough to get a good one, they can crank out the lumens!

BobbyRS

Enlightened
I love the clip! The pocket clip fits the Fenix L1x (or clone) lights perfectly. It is the best clip I have found for them. Color match, long and sturdy....

z96Cobra

Enlightened
The light does NOT have a clicky. It is just a momentary pushbutton, or twisty for constant on. As was mentioned earlier, it is the same light as the Camo River Rock light that many Target stores carry. It is a fairly decent light (I've got the Ray-O-Vac and RR versions) but nothing extra special. Also if anyone buys one, the camo RR version doesn't come with the pocket clip, just FYI.

Roger

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have this flashlight, in the Nuwai X-3 version.

Like it a lot. Very rugged, durable, and "grip-able".

But don't believe that line stating "batteries last 2 hours". (regarding Alkalines)

On my Duracell 2650 NiMH's, they would last 100+ minutes.

Might indeed last a full 2 hours, if RIGHT off the charger.

But my one set of Alkalines lasted only 45 minutes !

BTW, the Ray-O-Vac in 1-Watt version is dandy, too !

"Almost" as bright, and batteries last 3 times as long.

Enjoy your light !

:cool:

-

Jefff

Enlightened
Hey I bought one of these too and a set of Durracell 2650's also.. Neat little light but already wanting to see if there are anyways to install a Cree P4 in it .. Cree lights have ruined me ;) Anyone every tried to take the led engine out of this light?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of these. Mine came from Kmart for $30.00 and are the same light, just packaged differently. The Kmart "version" also comes with a pouch you can put on your belt as well as the clip. Both are the same brightness, but one of them has a whiter light than the other. I have Panasonic digital alkalines in one and Rayovac 2100mAH Hybrid rechargeables in the other. I have not tried lithiums. I believe you can use all 3 types in these lights. Somebody correct me if I am wrong!

Mike

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a Rayovac "Sportsmen Extreme" 2AA light at Walmart...

It seems decent its an OD green color and the finish feels like HAIII, but I don't know if it is, probably not. It was $20 so I said what the hey. I took out the light engine but cant get it apart to swap the emitter to a SSC P4. Anyone have this light? Is it moddable? Sorry, I'm on my parents PC and can't upload a pic....

Grubbster

Enlightened
Re: Picked up a Rayovac "Sportsmen Extreme" 2AA light at Walmart...

It seems decent its an OD green color and the finish feels like HAIII, but I don't know if it is, probably not. It was $20 so I said what the hey. I took out the light engine but cant get it apart to swap the emitter to a SSC P4. Anyone have this light? Is it moddable? Sorry, I'm on my parents PC and can't upload a pic....
I have the 1W model, which is the same, and have had the LE out. From what I read in another thread, the black plastic part around the emitter can be pried off and the emitter replaced. I don't have first hand experience though....yet.:D

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful if you try to change the emitter. I attempted to do so, and even though I only soldered the leads, something happened to the light and now it is about 1/3 the brightness and when I check the voltage, with no LED attached to the board, it shows (although constant, no waivering) just under 3 volts. So, it seems that the board is not very robust if soldering leads can mess up something.

I'm not sure what to do with mine now. It is basically a nice looking piece of metal, and that's it. :(

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arghh. Looks like I wasted my money then.... I'll have to take a ride over to target this time and see what they got...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just picked one of these up at Wal-Mart and after doing some searches I can't find any topics about this light. They rate it at 80 lumens, it has a FORWARD momentary clicky, twist for constant on. It has an adjustable focus head, a pocket clip, and a lanyard. It's rated water resistant. It was about $26. It came with 2 Rayovac AA's and they rate it to run for 2 hours.

Anyone got one?

LOL !

I bought one a few weeks ago, at K-Mart! It's a sweet light.... Like a Poorman's Surefire L4. Curiously, the packaging of the light at K-Mart is rather plain. I've seen the exact same light at Wal*Mart, packaged under the Sportsman's Extreme name; but still as a Rayovac.

I didn't care for the lanyard ring, so I removed it. Despite being rather thin, the clip works well. Haven't had any problems with mine, but I don't use it too often. Overall: It's a Winner! The 1watt version has about 4 hours of runtime at 45 lumens. I see it as an ideal alternative for someone wishing to buy a Mini-MagLED.

BTW, you should stop by the Flashlight Reviews sub-forum a bit more often. ;)

Link - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169466

Last edited:

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Walmart version, it's a great light, for me at least. Built like a tank, bright, easy to use. Put in two LSD RayOVac Hybrids and it runs great. The only problem is the sharp cut off, when it's done. it's done. No moon mode at all. Turning it off and allowing the batteries to rest gives a flash of light, but limp home moon mode would be more useful.

I wish it had a dimmer type switch, a low of about 10 lumens would be perfect. It's my new emergency carry light. My little Dorcy AAA keychain light will have to serve get home function when the batteries die.

Going to add some AA battery cases with fully charged hybrids to the emergency kit.

RayOVac aiming to be the next MagLite, Mag better get it in gear with better new products right now. MagLites are apparently permanently disappearing from the shelves around here almost daily.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Anyone every tried to take the led engine out of this light?

All you have to do is...
1. Remove head from light.
2. Pry little black plastic piece from around the LED
3. Use a snap ring (or similar) tool to unscrew the LED/driver from the light.

When you pry the little black plastic cover off, you'll see 2 holes to stick the snap ring tool into. Mine unscrewed very easily, and I probably could have used 2 toothpicks to remove the LED.

Roger

retrodog

Newly Enlightened
All you have to do is...
1. Remove head from light.
2. Pry little black plastic piece from around the LED
3. Use a snap ring (or similar) tool to unscrew the LED/driver from the light.

When you pry the little black plastic cover off, you'll see 2 holes to stick the snap ring tool into. Mine unscrewed very easily, and I probably could have used 2 toothpicks to remove the LED.

Roger
Try very pointy needle nose pliers. That whould do nicely.

I got one of these tonight. It's a great light, for $25. Built well and makes a great candle when the reflector head is removed. Very even light.

Gryloc

Enlightened
Orion,

It seems like you may have powered it up once without the LED attached. Is that correct? Since it is a 2AA light, the circuit is most likely a simple boost circuit. From my experiences, any boost circuit hates to be powered up with no load or LED across the output. It seems at thought it tries to boost voltage to some high point (since there is not LED to control this - the light emitting diode's Vf has all the say), and as a result, some components are damaged. A voltage meter would not work as a load. I always make sure that my emitters are soldered correctly without any shorts or open circuits before powering it up. It hurts to loose a decent boost circuit!

If you did not power it up without a LED, then did you let anything get too hot? Did you short anything while positioning the new LED? There could be many things that could have happened that we may never know about. Maybe someone may have better luck next time. Nice try with getting everything apart and swapped. I would not exclude this light from the list of lights that can be modded. Maybe someone out there can mod it for everyone. Well, good luck all with modding this thing. It looks like a solid light and I might have to pick one up. I seen one at my local WalFart and it looked pretty nice. I didn't have the money to shell out, though. The only thing that a light like this can lack is a good LED and a decent driver circuit.

-Tony

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I bought the Cabela's version of this light. It's pretty bright and one of the nicest looking lights under $30. I read somewhere on CPF that the threads of the Cabela's version might be better then other versions of this light. I rarely use this light since I seem to be getting a new light every week.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gryloc, I'm not sure if I got anything too hot, though I guess anything is possible. I may try a new board in it. . . . . . or may just try to sell it, as is, to someone who may be able to use it as a platform. You may see it in the sale section of the mod forum.