Recall Gray Davis petition

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifTHAT SON OF A BIT**!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

First cuts in education, then law enforcement (the two professions i was thinking of getting into), and now this?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif What the hell is his major disfunction?! UUUGH!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
We want Arnold, We want Arnold, We want Arnold
Unfortunately for you CA residents the recall doesn't stand much of a chance but I like the concept.

I am thinking the next Governor of the left coast will be The Terminator./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
I used to be an Ahhnold fan until I read an interview where he said house to house searches for all firearms will solve the gun control issua the right way.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be an Ahhnold fan until I read an interview where he said house to house searches for all firearms will solve the gun control issua the right way.

[/ QUOTE ]

2Dogs,
That sure doesn't sound like Arnold. I would like to see the whole interview. That is Baaaaddd.

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2dogs,

Do you have a link to that interview? I'd love to read it.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
More fuel for the fire:
CA is having a huge budget crisis but that didn't stop Gray Davis from giving pay raises to over 100 of his personal assistants.
10 of his senior assistants now make well over $100,000 each.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ca will reap what it sews. the sooner it slips off into the ocean the better.

Darell

Flashaholic
Budget cirsis - both CA and Federal.

Jeepers, thanks for the life-line, tkl! It wasn't all of us who voted for Davis. But then we didn't have a whole lot to choose from, either.

It sounds as if you've been wronged by CA in some way. Care to expand?

Aren't we also in the middle of a huge FEDERAL budget crisis? And tax cuts are being offered?

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Re: Budget cirsis - both CA and Federal.

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Aren't we also in the middle of a huge FEDERAL budget
crisis? And tax cuts are being offered?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... yeah! Tax cuts have ALWAYS stimulated economic growth. "The Rich" (tm) have another name: Employers. Letting them keep more of their money allows them to do several "Good" things: A: Spend it on products and serivces provided by somebody's employees, thereby facilitating their continued employment, B:Use it to hire new employees in an effort to make more money, or C: Invest it in other people's businesses so THEY can pay more employees.

The alternative is the money is taxed to the Federal Government which uses up most of it in administrating the distribution of some of it to a small amount of people who would rather be paid by the employer that had the money in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Annual filing fees for domestic stock corporations in California just went up 150%! (at least according to the form that passed my desk today). The $$ amount is actually very small for each entity, but if you start multiplying that by the number of corporations...then add other rumored increases in taxes and fees...

And that's just California. So just how are "we" going to pay for a $95 billion Iraq war?

mickmar

Newly Enlightened

Gray Davis was elected by a clear majority of California voters in the last election. This basic fact drives some Republican ultra right wingers just over the edge. I love the fact these ?gentlemen? are going to waste a lot of time and money trying to recall Davis, instead of developing a candidate who might actually win the governorship in 3 years.

I was forced to vote for Gay Davis because the Republican candidate, Bill Simon, was such an empty suit. Simon made so many amateurish mistakes that it was amazing he got 40% of the vote. He would have won if he and his handles weren?t so inept and mean-spirited at running a smart and winning campaign.

The Republicans don?t have a chance to win any statewide offices in California until they stop running ultra conservative candidates. Of course this won?t happen because the state party is controlled by ultra right wingers.

So they?ll waste a lot of time and money getting the signatures required to get the recall on the ballot. Then they?ll have to run tons of ads convincing the average uninterested voter that they are being screwed by Davis. Then they?ll find out that Davis still has boatloads of cash left over to counter their ads. And after all this, they will fail, because at the end of the day, Davis doesn't deserve to be recalled.

Wulong

Newly Enlightened

2dogs, thanks for finding those links...don't think I'll look for any more myself. One or two gun-grabber articles per week is my limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
Tax cuts have ALWAYS stimulated economic growth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well... "always" except for the times that they don't I guess. I was actually thinking of the individual "tax refund" of yesteryear. That sure got the economy on track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I think we can all agree that budget deficits are bad. That's the biggie in my book right now. But I digress...

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Marc,

Interesting post however I don't agree with some of your views.

Davis didn't win by a clear majority. If I recall, he received the majority of votes but it was closer than the pollsters predicted. It wasn't a clear and convincing win. Almost 4 of 10 voters thought someone else would've been a better leader.

Bill Simon was a poor candidate and almost any one else could have won if they had a pulse but you weren't forced to vote for Davis. Since the current financial predicament is due, in large part, to the unsavory marriage between the Democratic legislature and the Governor, Simon would have been a good candidate just as a gatekeeper, if you will. Vote him in just to veto the spending bills that are still coming. In many ways, I think that on a deep level Davis truly wanted to lose the election. Now, Davis has to face problems that he created and I think that it has doomed him for future nationwide office.

Being from OC, the Register reported today that Davis' approval numbers are in the high 20's. That is important because even the people that voted for him are dissatisfied only 4 months after the election. Put another way, more than 7 in 10 people don't approve of the way he's doing his job.

I also think that a recall petition serves a useful public function. The law allows for a recall and this is simply democracy speaking at its finest. The electorate have long decided that all good things do not come from Sacramento. The propositions that you see on your ballot are just such a public referendum, no more and no less.

Politics is a messy game but with Davis you have someone who, in my view, purposefully underestimated the deficit to help win reelection with full knowledge that it was much worse. Now, he's overestimated it so he can obtain tax increases from legislators that would ordinarily be opposed to them. He will use the fee increases to "fix" the problem hoping to regain his lost leadership while simultaneously passing along the increased revenues to those voters likely to support him.

Finally, I agree with you that the Republicans need to field a better set of candidates statewide and while I believe that the Republicans will continue to march towards certain defeat if they embrace the religious right, they need to get out the message that the party is big enough and better for all views, even if some are opposed to each other. They need to expand their base towards the growing Hispanic community, women and other voters that are traditionally aligned with the Democratic party.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
mickmar said:
Gray Davis was elected by a clear majority of California voters in the last election. This basic fact drives some Republican ultra right wingers just over the edge. I love the fact these ?gentlemen? are going to waste a lot of time and money trying to recall Davis, instead of developing a candidate who might actually win the governorship in 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking for myself only (and I'm not a Republican), I'd say that Davis ran on the promises that he could and would fix the scrw-ups that he'd caused.
Now that he's demonstrated that he can't or won't a recall seems perfectly justified.
I'll also add that the recall effort is being supported by the Libertarian, the Independant, and the Green parties. The Republican party, interestingly enough, was one of the last to offically support it.