Looking for suggestions: Best Lumen for the Buck

BMV

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I have lurked around for quite some time. Since I first got interested in quality flashlights, this forum has been very helpful, and I feel privileged to have access to your posts. I ain´t no expert, so I aways check on here before making a purchase. I can say you guys have been directly responsible for a hole in my wallet. Listen to my story:

The thing that started it all was the Arc-P. It seemed incredibly expensive at the time, but when I reluctantly ordered one, I never thought it would be as fine a flashlight as the one I got. Then I bought a Nuwai TM-310H. It was nice. So, I bought a Fenix L0D. It was much brighter than the Arc-P, although not so rugged. I admit I was pretty amazed by the little Fenix.

I kept alternating the Fenix and the Arc-P as an EDC, and for a time, it was good.

The day came when I saw an Inova X5 at the store, and brought it home. I was prejudiced against lithium batteries, which I thought were too expensive, but the Inova changed it. It also changed the way I organized my pockets, as I had to make room for the Inova. It was my new EDC, and for a time, it was good.

I had never considered a Surefire until the Nitrolon series came to be. I ended up reading (here, on CPF) that some people at Surefire were against the Nitrolon line, since they felt it was devaluing the entire Surefire line. Apparently, the G2 was so much cheaper than the other surefires, it would actually hurt the company. That was it for me, I bought a G2. In my experience, it was better than the Inova in every single aspect. And the G2 is much brighter, and effective at longer distances. It is my current EDC. Today I strongly feel I shouldn´t have bought the Inova.

This is my experience with flashlights. Now I want to carry something brighter than the G2, and I ask for your advice. As you can see, I am not very knowledgeable about the technicalities of flashlights, so bear with me. I do not want to accessorize the G2, I want another light.

My priorities are Lumens and effective distance. Ruggedness and battery life do not matter much to me. My criteria is this:

1. Brightness around 140 lumens.
2. Price around 50$, preferably lower.

The closer thing I could find was the Fenix P3D, which advertises 160 lumens max. I don´t know if I should trust the advertised brightness, all I know is that I want something considerably brighter than the standard G2, which advertises 60 lumen. Before I buy the Fenix, I thought I should check with you guys if I am missing some other product that fits this criteria.

Any suggestions will be mucho apreciado.

Best regards,
BMV

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! What you want won't be easy to do on less than $50. My suggestion is a Lumapower D-mini, $50-60 and a 2 stage switch $8.50
shipped from Lumapower. It's a little fat for pocket carry but for lumens and throw it's a nice combo. Very easy to install the switch, all you need is 2 minutes and a pair of tweezers. Unscrew the old one and install the new one. Later on you can add a 18650 body for $38 and get about 4-5 hours runtime on high. Happy hunting!

BMV

Newly Enlightened
thanks, MARNAV1. I checked on the Lumapower, it seems promising. And good looking, to boot. Is the quality superior to the Fenix? It is sold through CPF, right?

What about these Ultrafire flashlights? They seem to offer good Lumem per dollar ratio. For the price they are going, I can even buy one as an extra. I´ve been looking at their CR123 powered models, but I can´t find the Lumem specs.

Last edited:

BMV

Newly Enlightened
This is a light I'm planning to buy:

Ultrafire C2, seems to have alot of lumens and throw using a cree led.
Avaliable at Kaidomain and Dealextreme.

22.35$ shipped from DX
22.55$ shipped from Kai
I´ve been checking their website. The models that function on 2 different kinds of batteries also have 2 respective bulbs. For instance, the WF-502B Xenon light has this disclaimer: when using CR123, use the UF-G60 bulb. When using TR18650, use the UF-G74 bulb.

I guess that means the light comes with 2 bulbs. Does anyone care to lay it out for me?

If you still like the G2, consider one of the many LED drop-in modules or a P61 LA.
I still like it, but I prefer to add a new light to my small collection. I may buy the P61 later.

Sakkath

Newly Enlightened
About the Uf C2.

I just read a cusomer review at dx, and he/she estimated the lumens output to be about 150-160.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Cree Led Drop-in that you can use in the G2. Lighthound, DealExtreme, Kaidomain, PTS has Wolf Eyes. Look around as the option to upgrade is out there. Just make sure the outer spring is removable.

I love my G2 though it may not stop a bullet it wears better than HA III
None of those ugly scratches. Look into upgrading to a UCL 28.8x1.90mm glass lens.

If you do upgrade you may put Surefire out of business though:whistle:
They are going to release a G2L (LED) with equal brightness and "unbelieveable" runtime in the near future according to dealer sources.

carrot

Flashaholic
Of course, nobody knows exact lumens for these lights because no one around here has an integrating sphere to test them with, and manufacturer claims can be wildly inaccurate. I suspect, however, that the P3D-CE is going to be the brightest 2-cell light of those mentioned so far. I know that the P3D-CE, modified with a Q5 bin emitter will crank out well over 140 lumens, however, it will not come cheaply.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, nobody knows exact lumens for these lights because no one around here has an integrating sphere to test them with, and manufacturer claims can be wildly inaccurate. I suspect, however, that the P3D-CE is going to be the brightest 2-cell light of those mentioned so far. I know that the P3D-CE, modified with a Q5 bin emitter will crank out well over 140 lumens, however, it will not come cheaply.
The new Tiablo A8 and the MRV are brigther than the P3D and both are 2XCR123 lights. The Tiablo even maintains the same brightness on just one Li-Ion with 100% flat regulation. The Huntlight FT-01XSE Cree model is also brighter than the P3D according to flashlight Reviews.

Last edited:

jbviau

Enlightened
I´ve been checking their website. The models that function on 2 different kinds of batteries also have 2 respective bulbs. For instance, the WF-502B Xenon light has this disclaimer: when using CR123, use the UF-G60 bulb. When using TR18650, use the UF-G74 bulb.

I guess that means the light comes with 2 bulbs. Does anyone care to lay it out for me?

I still like it, but I prefer to add a new light to my small collection. I may buy the P61 later.

I can understand if you're intent on getting a new light, but down the line I'd follow people's suggestions and get an LED drop-in rather than the P61 bulb if you're looking to upgrade the G2. My brother and I had a shootout with our G2s the other night, and my Wolf Eyes LED drop-ins (both the HO 170 lumen and regular 130 lumen versions) absolutely killed his P61. Based on beamshots I've seen, I think just about any Cree drop-in will make the P61 look pitiful. And then there's the huge advantage of runtime with the LED drop-ins. Happy shopping.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy BMV,
Ok..... I'm going to make an over-the-top recommendation...... however... this is based on the fact that you really liked your ARC-P. If you are looking for a premium quality pocket light... then wait just a bit longer and check out the soon to be released Novatac 120P:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2768

Yes, I know it's $150... and your budget is around $50..... but you've already seen that you can end up buying multiple less expensive lights that don't quite fill the bill, or just get one more expensive light that is exactly right. We don't exactly know for sure that this light is going to be as good as we hope..... but chances are.... it's going to be a VERY nice pocket light.

Now.... if that light is just way off base..... then how about either an Amilite T5 (1xCR123 at around $80) that is way bright and floody but also has a lower level for closeup work:

http://www.amilite.co.kr/

OR.... if you can do a 2xCR123 light (G2 size but brighter).... then get a Wolf-Eyes Sniper or Explorer with the 4 mode digital Cree drop-in (around $80) and be done with it:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-103-105-6324

Hey, somebody needed to at least point those out.... so.... enjoy the hunt!

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I had almost the same decision. Given ~$50 budget, I bought a boatload of upgrades for my G2. It's a great light - good throw & spill, rugged, and cheap enough that I'm not afraid to carry it. I have the single-mode CREE drop-in from Kai ($12); it's not as bright as the P60, but more than adequate indoors and adequate to at least 50 ft outdoors, with long runtime. There's also a 5 mode version ($15). I also got a dsd charger ($8?), 2 pair of protected 16340 and 1 pair 17670 ($9 each), a 3.0 v LA (oops, should have gotten 3.7 :poof:) and two 9V LA ($5). The 9V run well on 2xRCR123A - 140 lumens? Probably not, but again, usable at 50-75 ft.

So for my $50, I can EDC 3.7v Cree, 3.7v Xenon, 7.4v Xenon (really 9v - did not instaflash with fresh off the charger 2xRCR123a), a set of rechargeables to run each - and a spare set for each!

None of those run 140 out-the-front lumens; if my life depended on my flash, I'd probably stay all-Surefire or other name brand; but for the money, I have a lot of options.

PS - I also got a $12 Ultrafire WF-502B xenon - runs well on 1x17670 or 2xCR123a, but will not hold 2xRCR123a. So I have an aluminum Surefire copy to hold whichever LA I'm not using in my G2.

BMV

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. The more you read on this forum, the more you want to spend. Like I said, I do not have much experience with this stuff, and some of the advice flies right over my head.

I´ve decided to buy a cheap UltraFire G120 12P, just to fulfill the urge for a new light.

The choice for a new EDC is gonna take some more time, research, and specially money. I´ll keep the G2 as an EDC in the meantime. I´ll look into possible modifications, but I am set on getting a new EDC light eventually. Maybe even another Surefire.

And Derek Dean, you are right. I prefer incandescents, but the Arc-P is still my favorite. By far. I guess it will aways be my favorite. Even though it is considered obsolete, I still don´t think there is any current light out there that is both as tough and as small as the ArcAAA. And to tell you the thruth, I get lots of ´Wow´s from people when I turn the Arc-P on. People are amazed that such a tiny light is as bright as a Rayovac using 2 D batteries. Of course, no CPF poster will ever find that amazing, but then again you guys are spoiled:). I wouldn´t even be here if it wasn´t for the Arc-P.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey BMV, sounds to me like you are off to a good start. BTW... I've got an ARC 1xAAA on my keychain too. GREAT light.... quality never goes out of style! Enjoy your new light.

BMV

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Derek Dean.

I noticed people recommending Cree drop-ins for the G2, but no one actually talked about the P61. I thought the main advantage of the Cree Led over the P61 would be runtime. Like I said, I don´t care much about runtime. 20 minutes would suit me fine. I may be wrong, but I doubt the Cree Led would offer more throw and lumens than the P61.

What I want is more lumens and throw on my G2. Runtime doesn´t matter. I would also like to keep using primaries. Getting more than 120 lumens out of it would be good. With that in mind, are there alternatives to the P61?

I´m all ears, boys.

robm

Enlightened
Thanks Derek Dean.
I noticed people recommending Cree drop-ins for the G2, but no one actually talked about the P61.

I am not trying to have go at you here, but are you the same BMV that started the thread? :D

BMV said:
I do not want to accessorize the G2, I want another light.

And later replied:
BMV said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrx
If you still like the G2, consider one of the many LED drop-in modules or a P61 LA.
Endquote

Anyway ;) if you DO want to upgrade your G2, and like incan. then I would go for LumensFactory D26 6 series drop ins ( for 2 x primaries) or, if you don't mind RCR123 cells, a DealExtreme 7.4V '15W' D26 drop in, or LumensFactory D26 9 series. For more upgrade options check out mdocod's guide:

MDs Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide, +compatability/comparison chart

Last edited:

BMV

Newly Enlightened
I am not trying to have go at you here, but are you the same BMV that started the thread? :D
Yeah Rob, it is me :) It is just that I started this thread with an open mind, and 4 people suggested upgrading the G2. So, I looked into that.

Anyway ;) if you DO want to upgrade your G2, and like incan. then I would go for LumensFactory D26 6 series drop ins ( for 2 x primaries) or, if you don't mind RCR123 cells, a DealExtreme 7.4V '15W' D26 drop in, or LumensFactory D26 9 series. For more upgrade options check out mdocod's guide:

MDs Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide, +compatability/comparison chart
I really want to keep using the non-rechargeable CR123s.

The problem now is that factories use different standards for measuring the output of their bulbs and leds, therefore it is hard to decide what would be the set with more throw and lumens, without having direct experience with the lights. SF advertises the P61 as offering 120 lumen. Some of these CREE leds people are suggesting are advertised as high as 170 lumen. It seems those rates are close to meaningless, for comparison purposes.

And I am having a hard time believing that a CREE Led would offer more throw than an incan. Besides lumens, I want throw.

Last edited: