MiniMAG LED Upgrade

bspofford

Enlightened
I have a number of older MiniMAG and MAG lights that are upgradeable, but I am also disappointed with the brightness of my 3W MiniMAG LED light. The head opens easily, so getting access to the LED isn't difficult. What is the best LED upgrade for the LED version, and it is worth it?

BobbyRS

Enlightened
My bad. Replying to mulitpl mag threads; gets a little confusing.

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED just unplugs, so I've found it easy to replace it with an SSC P4 emitter. I check the polarity with a DVM before removing the old emitter, and mark the LED mount. After unplugging the emitter (which usually takes a bit of prying with something like a dental tool) and cleaning the header, I epoxy down a 0.030" copper spacer with enough Arctic Silver epoxy to insulate it from the header. I cut the leads of the SSC short and bend them down, and solder on a couple of thin strips of nickel plated metal salvaged from a battery pack, to imitate the flat leads of the original emitter. Finally, I put a very thin layer of Arctic Silver thermal compound on the bottom of the SSC emitter and plug it in. You could use thermal epoxy instead if you prefer. A Mag LED drop-in can be modified with exactly the same procedure. I've modded several Mag 2AA and 3AA LED lights and Mag LED drop-ins.

I"ve found that after the mod, a Mag 2AA or 3AA LED light produces just about twice the total light output as the original. The brightness of the main beam (lux reading), however, increases by only about 50%. This means that the focus isn't quite as tight with the SSC as with the original emitter.

c_c

gunga

Flashaholic
On a somewhat related note. How hard is it to upgrade a Terralux Tle-5 (luxeon) to SSC? It's an older school luxeon drop in for the minimag.

Do you need thermal epoxy? I have thermal compound, but no adhesive. Will this work or does one need epoxy/adhesive?

:whistle:

customh

Newly Enlightened
This is what I would reccommend for your older minimag incans.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html
I second the TLE-5EX, I have one myself. If you get it I highly recommend doing the "washer mod" in which you cut off approx 1mm of the leads of the 5EX, take the "switch" out off the minimag (the plastic part with 2 legs that says DO NOT REMOVE on it).
IMG_2391.jpg

Then put a washer in between the 5EX and the body of the minimag so the heat transfers directly to the body of the minimag. I arctic alumina'd the washer to the module.
IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

This takes the twisty functionality out of the minimag, thus requiring you to have a tailcap clickie , for which I recommend the Kroll switch from The Sandwich Shoppe.

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a somewhat related note. How hard is it to upgrade a Terralux Tle-5 (luxeon) to SSC? It's an older school luxeon drop in for the minimag.

Do you need thermal epoxy? I have thermal compound, but no adhesive. Will this work or does one need epoxy/adhesive?

:whistle:
Sorry, I don't know anything about the construction of the Terralux. But unless the emitter is mounted on a star, you need some way to insulate the SSC emitter from the header. (Every star I've seen has an electrically isolated mounting pad so no other insulation is necessary.) I've experimented with using a very narrow ring of thin Kapton tape around the outer part of the SSC mounting pad to space it from the header, with thermal compound inside. This can work if you're really careful and the Kapton is very thin. But I find epoxy to be easier.

c_c

ScottB

Newly Enlightened
This is what I would reccommend for your older minimag incans.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html
I second the TLE-5EX, I have one myself. If you get it I highly recommend doing the "washer mod" in which you cut off approx 1mm of the leads of the 5EX, take the "switch" out off the minimag (the plastic part with 2 legs that says DO NOT REMOVE on it).

Then put a washer in between the 5EX and the body of the minimag so the heat transfers directly to the body of the minimag. I arctic alumina'd the washer to the module.

This takes the twisty functionality out of the minimag, thus requiring you to have a tailcap clickie , for which I recommend the Kroll switch from The Sandwich Shoppe.

Does the switch just pull straight out?

Scott

nitnapz

Enlightened
i just put these together, led replacement supplied a switch and the tle5ex.. It works like a charm, and i superglued the head, so no twist mix-up business

mmhishers006.jpg

mmhishers008.jpg

julesb

Newly Enlightened
I've upgraded a tle-5 (luxeon) to seoul - very simple to solder a new led on and much brighter.