Malkoff CREE P60 drop-in (pics and beamshots)

Enlightened
Just got my 2 Cree P60 drop-ins from Malkoff Devices. Thanks Gene! These suckers are bright!!! Really nice and WHITE hotspot. It's not as "floody" as the SSC P4 version of his drop-in. This light is intense. Very nice work.

It's still bright out. I'll post pics and a brief review tonight. Stay tuned. :eek:
I'll also throw it against his SSC version.

I no longer own a BOG Cree drop-in but the Malkoff shares a similiar style reflector. It's not exactly identical. I'm referring to the depth of the cup.

p60.jpg

Creeside.jpg

Creeback.jpg

Creereflector.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff Cree P60 drop-in (pics and beamshots)

Here are a few from the garage.. More to come. :cool: PS- They are available on www.malkoffdevices.com as of this post edit.. 18:30 hours CST.

Malkoff Cree drop-in (top), Malkoff SSC drop-in (bottom)
CreeP60.jpg

SSCP60.jpg

Cree (top), SSC (bottom)
Creewall.jpg

SSCwall.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
More..

As you can tell from the pictures I posted, the new Cree drop-in from Gene is more concentrated. The beam is narrower but appears to be brighter. I don't have any light meters so I'm just going off of perception. I definitely like it. :grin2:
I threw in the exact same shots using his SSC P60 drop-in (discontinued).

Cree P60 drop-in
Creeroom.jpg

Creehall.jpg

SSC P60 drop-in
SSCroom.jpg

SSChall.jpg

Supernam

Enlightened
Wow, what a difference the tint makes on color rendition. You can really tell when you look at the red in the side spill portion.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
Just got my 2 Cree P60 drop-ins from Malkoff Devices. Thanks Gene! These suckers are bright!!! Really nice and WHITE hotspot. It's not as "floody" as the SSC P4 version of his drop-in. This light is intense. Very nice work.

It's still bright out. I'll post pics and a brief review tonight. Stay tuned. :eek:
I'll also throw it against his SSC version.

I no longer own a BOG Cree drop-in but the Malkoff shares a similiar style reflector. It's not exactly identical. I'm referring to the depth of the cup.

p60.jpg

Creeside.jpg

Creeback.jpg

Creereflector.jpg
would the cree P60 drop in fit on my M2??

Enlightened
would the cree P60 drop in fit on my M2??

It should. The M2 uses the P60 bulbs. I've thrown my Malkoff SSC drop-in into my friend's M2. According to Surefire's 2007 catalog the following lights use the P60 bulb: G2, 6P, 6PD, G2Z, Z2, C2, M2. Since the Cree drop-in can run to 9v, it opens it up to the P90 size which is also the P60 size (just handles more volts).
G3, 9P, C3

Last edited:

Ace12

Enlightened
How do these compare to other P60 drop-ins on the market such as the ones from DX? What about runtime? Are they regulated?

Enlightened
How do these compare to other P60 drop-ins on the market such as the ones from DX? What about runtime? Are they regulated?

Comparo pic from a DX coming right up..

This is directly from the MD website.

This is the Malkoff Devices P60 style dropin made of aircraft grade aluminum which fits SureFire Z2, C2, G2Z, G2, 6P, and D2 flashlights. The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. The output is set at 1000ma or 180+ lumens. The draw is only 700ma, with 1000ma output at 6 volts. The runtime is 2-3 hours on 2 CR123 primary batteries. It will easily illuminate objects at 400+ feet and will blind opponents within a 100 foot radius. It makes a great handheld or weapon light. The LED is a Cree XRE 7090, Q2 bin, WG tint.

Enlightened
Please pardon my pictures. I'm getting inconsistent pictures out of my old camera.. You get the idea though. The WG tint is nice and white in person.. The first garage picture on post #2 is probably the closest to how it looks in real life.

DX $12.50 drop-in (simple construction)
DXroom.jpg

Malkoff drop-in (brass heatsink/mount on bottom of module.. very sturdy)
Creeroom2.jpg

Gene43

Enlightened
Output will decrease slightly as the voltage drops. Not enough to be really noticable until it drops out of regulation. At 4.5 volts its still 1000ma output. below 4v it drops to around 700-800ma.

Gene

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
Gene has done it again.....Im very happy with the SSC P4 loaded in my 6P, but his DX version...WOW....Tight spot, great spill, flawless beam,regulated output,extended runtime, white tint, 'built for combat'...its perfect for duty use. I carry a M90 Rattlesanke 13v for my 'flamethrower' and a 6P/Malkoff for back-up. Im not kidding when I say that I find myself using the 6P much more often now that I have Gene's drop-in installed.

While on duty, I find myself looking for someone in neighborhood yards in the city quite often. My 6P now can throw from one backyard, down the gangway, across the street, down THAT gangway, to the opposite back yard. The tight spot lights up the distant backyard and the spill light illuminates all of the surroundings. Im very very happy with Gene's products.

As a matter of fact, last night when I got home from work, I ordered (2) more from Gene. (1) more for me and (1) for a Sgt. of mine who is also blown away when he compares my 6P/Malkoff to his Streamlight stinger.

winston

Enlightened
It should. The M2 uses the P60 bulbs. I've thrown my Malkoff SSC drop-in into my friend's M2. According to Surefire's 2007 catalog the following lights use the P60 bulb: G2, 6P, 6PD, G2Z, Z2, C2, M2. Since the Cree drop-in can run to 9v, it opens it up to the P90 size which is also the P60 size (just handles more volts).
G3, 9P, C3

Out of curiosity, how would it handle 3xRCR123s? Are we talking decreased lifespan, or fire and brimstone failure (like a toasted board)? Just wondering.
-Winston

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Question:

The normal P60 has double springs, a center contact spring and an outer contact spring. These Malkoff drop-ins have only a center contact spring. They don't work in Wolf Eyes products. If you were to put this in a 6P, I assume you would not need the outer contact spring, and the batteries still load with the ( + ) to the emitter, correct?