What's the ProPoly of rifles? **Got a Marlin 980S!** **IT'S EXCELLENT!**

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting a rifle, and I think the best way to describe what I want is to compare it to a ProPoly.

-Inexpensive
-Popular
-Cheap/common ammo
-Good throw (long-range accuracy)
-Simple
-Tough

That sort of thing. I don't want something that kicks so hard that it leaves painful bruises, but I don't mind anything less than that. As some of you may know, I shot a .54 black powder pistol, and that was just fine. However, since you can let pistols fly up but rifles transmit their recoil straight to your shoulder, it might not be too comparable/relevant. I want to be able to go to the range, get a reasonable grouping (hopefully at long ranges), and not worry too much.

I'm okay with small box magazines, bolt action, semi, whatever. As long as the system is cheap and reliable.

Price should be below $3-400. I find myself drawn to the $90 Mosin-Nagant Russian military surplus rifle at Big 5 (but I've heard that it kicks like a mule, so that's probably not what I want).

Ideas?

bitslammer

Enlightened
Re: What's the ProPoly of rifles?

From a cost perspective .22LR is hard to beat. They are also very good target rounds that you can use to get your grouping together and have little kick. I'd say grab an simple 22LR first and use it to hone your skills and tastes before moving on.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I have a Mosin-Nagant, and it kicks like a mule. Plus, the ammo isn't readily available in most local sporting goods shops. For a good combination of decent quality, decent accuracy, and cheap price, try Mossberg's line ($200-400) for the big calibers, Marlin's ($162) for .22LR.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8&section=products
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4756262
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=27&section=products

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/925r.aspx
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4665643

bitslammer

Enlightened

I can speak for the Marlin .22LR tube feed semi-auto. It's fun because you can load up (13 rounds??) and pop away. I've hear these are troublesome and they do jam when they get dirty but we never had trouble with ours. Again, for the price it's pretty cheap.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened

A .22 is good in everything you asked for except long range. The next step up in range and ammo price would be a .17 caliber. If you want a hi-power rifle a .223 or .243 give you much longer range without much kick. At what kind of distances will you be shooting?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both the Marlin and the 10-22 mentioned above, and would recommend both of them. The 10-22 is also very customizable, similar to the Surefire Lego interchangeability.

I have two Stevens/Savage model 62's as well. I wouldn't recommend this rifle. Mine jam often, no matter how clean and well oiled they are, with no difference between the different brands of ammo I've tried. I have a friend with the same rifle, same deal.

Good luck and happy shooting. :buddies:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

In CA your options are very restricted. I'd suggest you check out the following:

KelTec SU16 (CA version).
Ruger Mini14
"Off list" AK47 (from what I heard these just became legal).
SKS

Some of the above are slightly above your price point, but worth looking into imho. An off list AR is an abomination, and a bit higher than your price point.

Or look at bolt action hunting rifles in 308 or 30.06. A Savage with the Acu-trigger is inexpensive and pretty good.

You can still get 308 surplus at a resonable cost. 5.56 is pricy right now, but will probably drop a bit eventually.

A 10/22 is an excellent rifle, but it is just a .22.

A lot depends on what you want it for. And if you want bolt action or semi auto.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

get a Marlin Semi Auto. Bill Ruger was intrumental in helping creating the concept of "high cap" magazine and force civilians to use magazines that have capacity less/equal to 10 rounds. In most of the states the ban is gone thanks to the last congress but in CA the ban is still in place due to SB23. Good ol' Bill also pushed for bans on "non-sporting" firearms.

and stay away from AKs for now, the DOJ says to ask the 58 DAs, the DAs say to ask the DOJ but they will prosecute it as an AW felony. THe law clearly says if it's not listed and the gun has no evil features then it's legit. But hey, the DAs are the once prosecuting.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I don't have any long range shooting around here and find my 22s to be the absolute most used.

The Ruger 10/22 can be anything from bone stock to heavy barrel target stock CUSTOMs.

I have a Marlin 60 semi-auto that I've had for YEARS. It finally needed a new buffer block inside, and once when it was DIRTY it went full auto.

I have a Marlin bolt (model 25 I think) with a 4-12x40 scope on it that is pretty damn accurate!

And I have a scratched up beater of a Browning lever action BL-22 that is one of the most fun and accurate guns I own!

In something with more umph, the SKS is pretty nice.

And for something ACCURATE and umph a heavy barrel bolt action .223 like my buddies would fit the bill.

But EVERYBODY should have at least one 22 rifle. And the 10/22 is a pretty good choice!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a feeling CPFers would understand the analogy. :D

As for range, I'd say maybe 1-200y... I think. That's probably the longest distance you'll get at any common-or-garden range, right? I mean, I don't want to have the gun in a vice and see shots going all over the place, but I don't need to incapacitate APCs two miles away, either.

I don't have a preference as to shooting bolt action or semi, but IIRC, bolt actions are cheaper and more reliable, right? I'd be perfectly happy with a semi action that was simple and dependable, as well as contained in a not-too-expensive rifle.

I want something that I can feel, but not so much that it hurts. I'd say three-quarters of bruising power might be nice.

I'll check out the links and models mentioned. Kel-Tecs, at around $700 each, are out of the question (though very cool, of course). I'd prefer around $200-250, but could go into the $3-400 range I mentioned earlier if it was necessary to get the features and quality I wanted.

unnerv

Enlightened

If you want something you can feel, I would start with a .308. .223 is just too soft if you want to feel the recoil. A good bolt action will be much less expensive than anything semi and usually much easier to maintain.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get the bolt Marlin 22 and some good ammo, a scope and play sniper (22 reaches out pretty far)

atm

Enlightened

When I read ProPoly of rifles, I immediately thought of the old Remington Nylon 66. Had a couple of them, they were my first non-air rifle, well over 20 years ago now. They were a good first rifle for a kid, not so sure about an adult though?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Nylon66 is a great little rifle (discontinued in the early 80's I think). Weighs about 3.5lbs. Still have and shoot one. It gets to ride in the camper often.

I'm a fan of KelTecs. The Sub2000 in 9mm is great fun. I'm not familiar with the California market, but they can be had for $250 or so at gun shows. The KT 5.56mm rifles are usually under $500 here.

For bottom dollar shooting fun, you might want to check out one of the single shot combo guns form Rossi or NEF (and others). Rifle barrels from .17 to 45/70 and shotgun barrels in 410, 20 and 12. A friend has one with a scoped 223 barrel that's very accurate to 200 yds. www.cdnninvestments.com usually has some. You'll probably need to download their catalog, but it's got lots of interesting firearms and even a few flashlights.