Help! DX U2 Cree won't light up

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
I just got the U2-Style Cree from DX, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285

I put in the battery, but it doesn't work. I'm not even sure if I got the polarity right.... the bottom with the spring is - and the tail is + as usual, right?

I tried connecting the battery directly to the LED board and it worked, but not when it's assembled.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try bypassing the tailcap. A piece of wire will work. One end to the neg end of the batt, other end to the batt tube. I read of people having faulty tailcaps.

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
So I do have the polarity correct, right? I'm afraid to try and switch it around and burn the light out :ohgeez:

Wouldn't bypassing the tailcap mean I won't have a functional switch anymore?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the DX U2, but usually the positive of the battery is up towards the LED and the negative is towards the tailcap.
I just checked a similiar flashlight from DX and the set-up is as I have described.
I tried the battery both ways and you will be okay if you switch it around.
So I do have the polarity correct, right? I'm afraid to try and switch it around and burn the light out :ohgeez:

Wouldn't bypassing the tailcap mean I won't have a functional switch anymore?

Last edited:

KWillets

Newly Enlightened
The battery goes in positive end first. Then try bridging the bottom of the battery to the case with a screwdriver or something to see if it lights up. If so, the switch is the problem (also try a continuity check on the switch).

Mine had a similar problem and disassembling and reassembling the switch fixed it. You can put in some ProGold or other compound to enhance the contacts while it's disassembled.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't get the light working...e- mail DX- they will have you ship it to their Miami location- and refund your money to paypal or ship a new one. THey are honest- but sometimes the returns are a minor pain. I just sent back another model ( first defective of many I've bought from them). It cost me $1.30 postage and 75 cents for a confirmation...then you send the number on the confirmation to them and they send a new light or a refund. Don't ruin the light trying to fix it. They also refunded my shipping costs!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might have already burned out the regualtor because it seemed like you have mixed up the polarity (Did you smell anything funny?). Usually the tail is the negative end of the light. Try contacting Dealextreme and see if they will send you a replacement.

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's the tailcap because I tried bypassing it.

I'm still not sure about the polarity... there aren't instructions! With every single piece of electronics I've used, the flat end of the battery (neg) goes on the spring while knob goes on positive. So it is reversed in this light?

I sure hope the circuit isn't burned out...

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are people who had the same problem. Read the posts on the light's page on DX, many have solved theirs.

This is relevant to me because I'm waiting for my own u2-style light...