How to mod

vader

Newly Enlightened
I would be very interested in learning how to Mod lights. I would like to make a few designs of my own. Can anybody suggest a good link that gives the theory of LED's and how to wire one to get it to work properly.

Sorry for the repeat post. I made a similar post over in the LED section and then noticed this section and thought I would post here.

I'm sure you guys had to learn this stuff from somewhere. Any suggestions?

JamisonM

Enlightened
Can't really tell you how to do anything, but I can tell you to look around and do a bit of searching. You'll learn so much just from looking at what others have done then you may realize. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

vader

Newly Enlightened
Nobody here can suggest a link that might help a noob out with the basics such as what voltage do LEDs run at, are they all different, ect

:confused:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Nobody here can suggest a link that might help a noob out with the basics such as what voltage do LEDs run at, are they all different, ect

:confused:
To find out what voltage an LED runs at, you have to know which LED you want to find this out about and then simply go to the manufactures website and look for that LED's documentation. Different LED's run at a different voltage. Some need a higher voltage and some need a lower.

legtu

Enlightened

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you want to mod?
What LED/Bulb do you want to use? 5mm LED? Luxeon? Seoul SSC P4? Cree?
What batteries is in the target host?
Do you want a new reflector to go with it?

Your question is vague, give us more info, cpf members are very kind and intelligent but can't read minds.

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
Vader, what part of Colorado do you live in? I live in Thornton and have several projects in the works.

Jarris

vader

Newly Enlightened
What do you want to mod?
What LED/Bulb do you want to use? 5mm LED? Luxeon? Seoul SSC P4? Cree?
What batteries is in the target host?
Do you want a new reflector to go with it?

Your question is vague, give us more info, cpf members are very kind and intelligent but can't read minds.

I was looking for a basic knowledge that would allow me to mod anything. I have a general understanding of electronics, so I was just looking for the basics of LEDs

Optics don't concern me right now. I know they are important, but that will come later.

Thanks

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Vader, I'm with koala. You're asking a very open question. Even when you say "I was just looking for the basics of LEDs", there is so much to talk about: how do LEDs actually work?, their efficiencies, Vf's, drive currents, drivers, what ends is the anode?, how bright are they, what type to use for a specific project, heatsinking.... you get the idea.

Unfortunately, there is no single repository of mod knowledge on CPF; no "modding 101" thread, so you are not going to get the simple answer that you're looking for.

When I caught the modding bug, I spent *a lot* of time in the electronics and in the Custom and Modified. The little I know about modding came from reading about other people's projects, and asking specific questions in those threads (or starting new ones if I my question was "new"). Don't hesitate to PM the people who started those threads or contributed their knowledge to the OP.

Also, try the "threads of interest" sticky in each section, poke around the search function with some key words that you can think of, and go from there. Manufacturer's spec sheets are also good sources of information - download the pdf's and start reading.

Good luck, and I hope to see your modding projects in the future.