P1D-CE with Leef body compared to P2D

onthebeam

Enlightened
Hi folks,

How long is the P1D-CE with Leef? I don't see anything on Lighthound's site on that. Is it shorter than the less expensive P2D-CE? How do these two combos compare?

tnuckels

Enlightened
I just emailed Lighthound about this a few days ago, as the dimensions on the nickel plated version were the same as the P1D-CE (that tricksy ole' cut-n-paste'll get ya every time!), yet the Fenix head common to both appeared proportionally different in the pictures of the two setups. The information on the nickel-leaf page has now been corrected http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2759 and the rig comes in at 3.48". You can also see the Leaf setup here http://www.lighthound.com/images/assets/fenix_ce_family.jpg 3d from the left, compared to other Fenix and familiar lights, though I'm not sure the "tail-ring" is still a part of the current body.

According to the manufacturer's specs:ironic:, the P2D-CE is shorter than the leaf setup, coming in at 3.17", and the comparison picture seems to bear this out. Lighthound's Fenix comparison table, while extremely helpful, appears to contain a few errors (hint, hint), but I applaud them for their effort and spent my money accordingly.

You'll have to ask someone else with deeper pockets or a more fully developed case of flashaholism how the setups compare functionally as I, unfortunately, am only endowed with an anal eye for detail. Now that draws to mind quite a picture …

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks,

How long is the P1D-CE with Leef? I don't see anything on Lighthound's site on that. Is it shorter than the less expensive P2D-CE? How do these two combos compare?

just measured my P1D-CE w/Leef body at a "smidge" under 3.5". sounds like that 3.48" in the prev. Post is spot on.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Gee, now that we know there is no size advantage to the P1D-CD Leef, (other than it's might cool looking) and actually a disadvantage in size, what's the point. Any functional advantages versus just buying the cheaper P2D?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, now that we know there is no size advantage to the P1D-CD Leef, (other than it's might cool looking) and actually a disadvantage in size, what's the point. Any functional advantages versus just buying the cheaper P2D?

What's the point? I can only answer the point for myself. OMMV (others mileage may vary).

First, generally speaking, though i haven't proven it to myself since it is a non-issue for me,...

you'll read from time-to-time in Posts here that the P1D-CE is brighter than the P2D-CE with both on their highest output settings.

i would imagine, if this is true, and the brightest light (of these two lights) with a tail switch is preferred, then someone would pick the P1D-CE over the P2D-CE even though it's a bit longer.

For me, the deciding factor was the brightness of LOWEST output mode. I didn't want the dimmest light possible (i have other options for that with very long burntimes). What i wanted was a light that had very good burntime on its lowest output mode (the 21hrs of P1D-CE LOW mode is good enough for me), yet still provided me enough light to do some night hiking by - it actually turns out that the mfr. claimed 9Lm output of the P2D-CE is noticeably dimmer (when used in my intended uses) than the mfr. claimed 12Lm output of the P1D-CE. The P2D-CE didn't cut it in my most important criteria, viz. a LOW output mode of sufficient brightness with a very long burntime (21hrs is very long for my purposes - hiking).

So, for me, the obvious choice was P1D-CE. However, i really like a tail clicky versus a twist head/body means of turn a light on and off and selecting modes. Hence, the Leef body with McClicky. My requirement probably won't be your requirements.

Yours sounds like size (as long as modes/brightness, etc. are all acceptable) is a primary driving constraint. So, you'd either pick the P1D-CE without the Leef body, or if tail clicky is important you might choose the P2D-CE.

anyways, that P1D-CE *WITHOUT* the Leef body sure is cute, IMO.

Nathan

Enlightened
I purchased a P1D-CE before the P2D was released. The twisty head drove me crazy, so I pounced on the Leef body as soon as it became available.

Output aside, the main difference between a P1D/Leef and a P2D is the switching. On the P1D/Leef you can cycle through all modes with the forward clickie: medium, maximum, low, strobe, SOS. On the P2D, there are two modes, selectable by turning the head. In General mode, the reverse clickie cycles through low, medium, high, SOS. Turn the head to switch to Turbo mode and the options are maximum and strobe.

I don't believe there are witness marks on the P2D, so you'll either have to remember what mode it's in, or just click it on and twist the head if needed.

If I had to choose again, I would still go with the P1D-CE/Leef because of the simpler interface.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D-Leef has a forward clicky so momentary on is possible. Not sure if that's a big deal to you, but I do prefer forward clickies myself. I do have quite a few reverse clickies, and it's usually not a factor that would keep me from buying a light if I like everything else, but my preference is a forward clicky. And, the P1D-Leef is more attractive IMO.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big difference is forward clickie for the P1D leef, versus reverse clicky and normal/turbo switching for the P2D. I think there's something to be said for both set of features.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my case, I prefer the simplicity of knowing that when I turn on my light it will be either on maximum or if I don't need max, I twist the head a little and turn on to minimum. I don't like lights that do not turn on at max with the first push of the button.......I had the P1DCE and did not like the primary/max/min format. As for the continued debate about brightness difference between these two lights, and I had both, they are practically the same. Check out Flashlightreviews.com. they use the same led, the same battery and very similar reflectors, so any difference is very small.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
p1p2bvq0.jpg

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i know this is a verrrry late post, but i just HAVE to share with someone my elation at finally ordering (with int'l EMS shipping, no less) the Leef body for my P1D-CE Q5, i expect this to become by EDC for a long while yet...and the deciding factor for me was the foward clicky, and just the kick out of joining the "leef" crowd...

Crenshaw