The new 'REBEL' LED is out!

Windscale

Enlightened
Today I bought a new Chinese light with the new REBEL LED. It has no brand name but came in an Ultrafire wrapping. It runs on 1x CR123A or RCR123A (3.7v in mine). It is well-machined (comparable to the better Ultrafires but not quite SF). It has 3 levels of brightness, SOS and strobe (similar to Fenixes).

But it is bright. I have not done any runtime tests but its brightest mode easily kicks the turbo mode of my P3D CE aside.

I am sorry for SF as they have just begun to catch up with CREE and something better is already emerging.

Does anyone know which manufacturer has announced that they will make Rebel lights? These will be worth waiting for as they are really a cut above the CREEs.

kboy25

Newly Enlightened
Fenix just had a limited version of rebels in their p3d. they had two versions 80 and a 100. the 100 is pre-ordered out.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
and I have just bought yesterday the "normal" P3D CE.

how much does it sucks? :mecry:

kboy25

Newly Enlightened
Lucio don't worry. I'm sure if the rebel takes off, fenix will have another run.
the "regular" one is plenty bright in itself! :) :thumbsup:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
lucio,
4sevens mentioned in the P3D rebel thread that he guesses the P3D Q5 mod will be brighter than the P3D rebel. With r bins coming in the not too distant future, you can easily upgrade your P3D, which IMO is a great light as is. Get a pair of strap wrenches, open the head of your P3D, and the emitter is right there for the taking.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
lucio,
4sevens mentioned in the P3D rebel thread that he guesses the P3D Q5 mod will be brighter than the P3D rebel. With r bins coming in the not too distant future, you can easily upgrade your P3D, which IMO is a great light as is. Get a pair of strap wrenches, open the head of your P3D, and the emitter is right there for the taking.

The Rebel will actually be slightly brighter than the Cree Q5 when run at the same wattage.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
ehehe, thanks guys, something to cheer me up was precisely what I just needed :rolleyes:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I somehow thought, that the actual best Rebel might probably match with some P4-Q2 or the SSC "T" bin,
but the Q5 being brighter at every current

(is there already an actual datasheet out for the Rebel? Dont find any that give a good info on bins)

Windscale

Enlightened
Windscale, do you have a link to where you bought yours?

No link I'm afraid. It was bought in a shop in Hong Kong. They sell all sorts of lights in that street from the most expensive SF to the cheapest clones.

Windscale

Enlightened
How is the beam quality with this light? Very smooth im betting.

Almost same shape as the P3D CE but with a brighter centre spot. Very smooth indeed.

It (the brightest mode) measured about 1 EV higher than the P3D CE (turbo) at 2 feet from my Sekonic light meter (at incident light mode).

I am sure other battery configurations (hopefully 17670 or 18650) will emerge soon as the Chinese is very good at filling up the market quickly. I wonder what will happen to the stacks and stacks of unsold Luxeon lights still displayed in the shops!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
No link I'm afraid. It was bought in a shop in Hong Kong. They sell all sorts of lights in that street from the most expensive SF to the cheapest clones.

If you ever get a chance to, take a photo of the shop for us. You might induce a lot of drooling.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I'm coming to Hong Kong in October. Can you tell me the name of that street?

Windscale

Enlightened
I'm coming to Hong Kong in October. Can you tell me the name of that street?

The street is called Apliu Street. It is in the Shamshuipo Area on Kowloon side easily accessible by underground train.

You can contact me before your trip and if I am around then I shall personally take you on a flashaholic tour! But don't blame me if you have to take out a mortgage as a result!

I shall try to take some pictures. But I am not good at doing this.

easilyled

Flashaholic
There are a lot more facts needed before assumptions can be made
that "the rebel" is brighter than the Q5-bin Cree.

The light with the rebel in it that one of the posters says registers a higher
reading on his light-meter than the P3D may be because its pushing the rebel
harder (more current)

We need to know the current to the leds to be able to be better informed.

Also, the posts are referring to "the rebel" as if its only one led. There
are different flux-bins of rebels just like there are different flux-bins of Cree.

To the best of my knowledge the highest-flux rebel claims to produce
100 lumens output from 350ma, slightly lower than the claims for the Q5-bin
Cree (107-113 lumens)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

harder (more current)

are different flux-bins of rebels just like there are different flux-bins of Cree.

Cree (107-113 lumens)

But the Rebel has a lower Vf (3.15V, as compared to the Cree's 3.7V), so the same wattage would result in more current to the emitter, and more light from the emitter, with the same draw from the battery.

Windscale

Enlightened

harder (more current)

Cree (107-113 lumens)

I am not a technical person by any means. This is why I have always tried to learn more from the scientifically informed by reading CPF. I am sure in a matter of weeks we will know a lot more about the REBEL.

easilyled

Flashaholic
But the Rebel has a lower Vf (3.15V, as compared to the Cree's 3.7V), so the same wattage would result in more current to the emitter, and more light from the emitter, with the same draw from the battery.

Which flux rebel are you referring to?

So all of those ones have a Vf of exactly 3.15V with no variation and all
Q5-bin Crees have Vfs that are higher?