Good AM Radio Suggestions?!?!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a good AM radio to use in my office at work. I will mostly be listening to AM talk radio and want to take the unit easily with me from place to place. Also, I do not want a Walkman style radio which requires earphone/earbuds; rather I would like it to have a built in speaker.

Any suggestions would be much apprecieated. Thanks.

avusblue

Enlightened
Find a GE Superadio III. Outstanding AM (and FM) performance and a good sounding speaker. Not very expensive either. I have one on my desk that is always left on, and another at home that I use in the bathroom and around the house on 6-D batteries which seem to last forever. It's model number 7-2887A. They are very well liked by enthusiasts. You can find out more about them here: The GE Superadio III FAQs

You'll love it! Good luck.

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
You didn't mention a price range so we'll go crazy. I like the Sony ICF-M410V. It does everything and more (can even act as an alarm clock) so its perfect for traveling or taking naps at the office.

The link on their webpage was quite long so I didn't know if I could paste it here successfully, but you can look it up by the part number up

Sony - List price $39.95
Portable AM/FM/TV/Weather Band Radio
ICF-M410V

avusblue

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that the Superadio makes an ideal emergency radio due to its 6-D power option, its portability and its great performance. Here's where you can order a Superadio III for $39.50:

Bennet Brothers GE AM/FM "Super Radio" III, 7-2887

Also, as an alternative you may want to check out the Sony table radio ICF-9740W. I have one of these in my kitchen. They have nice sound and look nice, but I think their AM selectivity is somewhat inferior to the Superadio (still not bad though). Also (obviously) they are not portable. I think they are out of production but are readily found on eBay. Here's one to examine: Ebay Sony ICF-9740

Again, enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess I got a bit beat here - I was also going to suggest a GE Superadio for this purpose. And this is coming from somebody who's listening to old tapes on a JVC RC-M71JW ghetto box (great big early 1980s model just like the RC-M70JW) right now.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
I'm not much of a radio listener which is probably why I don't own a GE Superadio right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
But you should go out and buy one right away!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tivoli Audio Henry Kloss Model One. Smaller than the GE Super Radio (I have both) but impressive bass nonetheless. The GE is BIG, has a big bassy speaker and the treble and bass knobs are very useful, but I don't find the reception to be that much more 'super' than other radios..I find the Tivoli will pick up a station when the GE won't -- the radios are in different locations in the house, but that's my experience..I think a good antenna is a more critical aspect..see ccrane.com for AM antennas..The Model 1 comes in nice colors, and rechargeable-portable models with matching add-on speakers, and other components now too..
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/

Hemingray

Enlightened
It's expensive (about $160), but the C C Radio from C.Crane is
a very good AM (and FM, TV audio and WB) radio.
www.ccrane.com or www.ccradio.com
I have one for night time AM DX-ing and it worked great bringing in Art Bell (now George Noory) from distant locations, as there is no local to my area affiliate for C2CAM.

Runs off 4 D cells, and AC power.

Though, I have an old Grundig tube radio made in the 1960s
that beats the CC radio and my old GE Super radio II. It's big, heavy and helps warm up a room on those cold NH nights.
THe Grundig was a yard sale find (along with some glass insulators).

/ed B in NH

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't mention a price range so we'll go crazy. I like the Sony ICF-M410V. It does everything and more (can even act as an alarm clock) so its perfect for traveling or taking naps at the office.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking naps at the office?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Siriuslite, how is the reception on the Sony? I like the size and the price, but wondering if the reception is any good? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned both Ge Super radio mentioned and Ccrane radio. Ge has good AM reception and very good audio quality thru a large speaker but it is very flimsy. One drop on the floor will kill it as happened to me. Ccrane radio has good AM reception, so so audio quality but all digital and built like a tank. It is my nightstand/alarm radio. I've gotten tremendous use out of it but I do think it's over priced a bit. A good little radio I use for travel is a Sangean ATS404. All digital, shortwave, AM/FM, surprisingly good sound for a compact radio and under a hundred bucks. Eats batteries pretty rapidly though.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was very disappointed with the ccrane radio's sound quality, especially after all the hype about the 'tuning for the human voice' -- I think it sounds tinny..try to listen to one before you buy one..btw they are being sold now for $119. (instead of $160. -- and they are still making money -- tell you anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) ... always check the 'orphan bin' at ccrane - the 'returned' items they sell from there have additional discounts, and are always like new (seem brand new to me)..

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I've owned both Ge Super radio mentioned and Ccrane radio. Ge has good AM reception and very good audio quality thru a large speaker but it is very flimsy. One drop on the floor will kill it as happened to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than our trusty Arc AAA's I can hardly think of any consumer electronics items that a drop on a concrete floor won't injure. While I can't dispute the above statement I think calling the Superadio "flimsy" is a bit of an overstatement -- after all, it is built to be a consumer grade portable radio that sells for under 40 bucks. At that price point, my personal opinion is that you can't beat its performance, sound quality, value, and overall package of attributes. One of my Superadio III's is over 10 years old and it still looks and sounds new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dave

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
[ QUOTE ]

Other than our trusty Arc AAA's I can hardly think of any consumer electronics items that a drop on a concrete floor won't injure. While I can't dispute the above statement I think calling the Superadio "flimsy" is a bit of an overstatement -- after all, it is built to be a consumer grade portable radio that sells for under 40 bucks. At that price point, my personal opinion is that you can't beat its performance, sound quality, value, and overall package of attributes. One of my Superadio III's is over 10 years old and it still looks and sounds new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's good value for the money but I still stand by calling it flimsy. The knobs are cheap, the tuning dial was off considerably and it just seems cheaply put together. I've seen a Panasonic Super radio equivalent (don't know if still in manufacture) that was built much more solidly. When I dropped Ge Super radio, the knobs broke off but that was repairable but something inside broke in which It would only stay on intermittently. Tried to take it apart to figure it out and then got to the part where I realized even if I did figure it out, I was never going to get it together again. The CC radio has survived drops to the floor as has thankfully my Canon digital elph camera.