Pelican M6 battery vent hole?

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
So I recently purchased a Pelican M6 2390 here on the forums. I noticed that under the lower o-ring that sits just below the head (the one that seems to be there for grip or GITD replacement) there is a small hole (<1mm) that goes through to the battery compartment.

Is this for venting purposes? I just read a bunch of the threads on Li battery explosions and this would seem to prevent the 'pipe bomb' effect.

Any ideas?

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Yes, that is the vent whole. Just make sure you keep that O ring lightly greased and you will never have a problem with water getting into your light through that hole. There is a huge thread on the lithium batteries exploding that discusses the reassoning behind the hole.

BBL

Enlightened
The o-ring covers the hole only partially - i would worry about water resistance.

On my M6, i covered that hole with silicone.

Illum

Flashaholic
apparently pelican decided to sacrifice water resistance to prevent the scenario of a loaded pipebomb... :shrug:

why can't pelican use something like the relieve valve on the Streamlight Propolymer?

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I accidently dropped mine into a puddle and didnt realise if for about 5 minutes and there was no water in it when i opened it up it was bone dry inside. I think as long as you keep the oring lubericated it is water resistant, I wouldnt take it diving though

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
apparently pelican decided to sacrifice water resistance to prevent the scenario of a loaded pipebomb... :shrug:

why can't pelican use something like the relieve valve on the Streamlight Propolymer?

they have the valve on the pelican polymer versions BUT BUT BUT not the metal ones.

maybe because integrating one in metal would be a PITA?

Illum

Flashaholic
<1mm...mmm
if theres only one opening...water wouldn't leak in unless the air inside flows out somewhere else. I think it might be possible that pelican uses internal air pressure to keep water out