Inova T4 Charger??

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a new T4 from the local Fry's store and am charging the battery. The owner's manual says that when it is charging the light on the charger will be a solid blue. So far so good. However, it also says that when it is done it will turn greeen. Mine started to blink as a blue. Is this a typo or does that mean there is a problem with my charger/cell???

By the way, it is a new T4 without the Tiros lens.

Enlightened
I just purchased a new T4 from the local Fry's store and am charging the battery. The owner's manual says that when it is charging the light on the charger will be a solid blue. So far so good. However, it also says that when it is done it will turn greeen. Mine started to blink as a blue. Is this a typo or does that mean there is a problem with my charger/cell???

By the way, it is a new T4 without the Tiros lens.

Blinking (from what I remember) means it's a certain percentage charged. Leave it on long enough it will eventually turn solid blue.
I also have a 2007 version T4..

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the 2007 version T4. A blue blinking charger light on the 2006 version means the flashlight is not making good contact with the charger.

The problem can usually be fixed by reseating the flashlight in the charging cradle. If that fails, you can unplug the charger and clean the charger and flashlight contacts.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the light out of the charger and use it for about 5 minutes. I then reseated it into the charger and about ten minutes later it did turn a solid green as stated in the owner's manual. I hope this isn't a problem that is going to re occur. I hate having problems with a new light. Especially one like the T4 which everybody hails for its rock solid reliability. I am still on the fence as to whether or not to return it for another one. While Inova stands behind their lights I don't want to wait 30 days and then start having problems that would make me have to return it to Inova.
:sick2:

Enlightened
It's definitely a solid light. Very sturdy and well built. My problem is with the brightness. After using my other lights the T4 is a shelf queen. It's not bright enough for my tasks.

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with 2 T4's that I bought. I called Inova and they said to send them in and they would be replaced. When I asked the turn-around time, they said 6 - 8 weeks. As a Deputy, I said this was unacceptable. They sent me out replacements, which don't work much better.
I found that if I have at least 10 mins of discharge time before recharging, the lights charge better.
I still get the blinking blue from time to time, which really annoys me, especially in the squad.
Dave

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to discharge it for more than ten minutes and then place it back on the charger. It charged for about 15 minutes and then the blue light started blinking. WTF????? This seems to be a problem with the charger that was also prevalent with the Tiros T4. You would think that they would have sorted this out by now.
:scowl:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gently clean both the flashlight contacts and charging cradle contacts using a clean pencil eraser. That usually fixes the problem of dirt or oxidation on the contacts.

Otherwise, contact Inova.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion parnass. I will try this. However, I just bought this light yesterday. Had I known this I would have bought all 6 they had in the store and tried them all until I found one that didn't have this problem. Then taken the rest back and told them to send them back to Inova. It is a shame to have such Mickey Mouse problems with a light that costs 140.00. I must say that as much as everybody raves about this light I was expecting to not have this sort of problem. Maybe I should just return it and wait for the LAPD Pelican to come out. I am starting to sound like a new SF L1 owner!!!!!!!!!!!
:sick2:

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Some of the chargers blink blue while charging, and stay blue when finished, like my earlier one.

I think the newer ones turn green.

I would like to trade my original optic version for a new reflector version.
I have had mine mounted in my truck for a couple years now. Great light.

~John

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten mine to turn green once or twice. However, it is inconsistent!!! I think the problem is that the chargers are made in China!!!!!!!! Just venting, but seriously I have never had this problem with my Strion.

I just cleaned the contacts and applied pro gold to them as well. I then placed the light back on the charger and 10 minutes later..................a blue blinking light!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this while searching for more info. on this problem.

Lame, May 5, 2007
By Paula (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this flashlight to replace an eight year-old Surefire. I was always happy with the Surefire, but I was tired of having to buy new NiCd batteries after only about 50 charges (about one year of use for me), having to discharge them fully every time before recharging them, and waiting 12 hours for recharge. Unfortunately Surefire doesn't offer rechargeable lithium batteries. The lithium battery in the Inova was a major selling point for me.

However, Inova has a major problem with its chargers. The first two flashlights I've tried do not charge properly. The seller I bought the flashlight from admitted having lots of problems with the Inova flashlights.

Although I've called Inova three times, I've been unable to reach a technician (they don't even have a toll-free phone number). I did speak to the secretary who answers the phone and even she was aware of the charging problem. I left two messages for the technicians and neither was returned.

Inova claims the batteries recharge in "Under three hours." That is totally false. It takes closer to four hours, and then the charger indicates a malfunction, leaving you unsure of whether the battery fully charged or not. Inova also showes a picture of the T4's beam pattern on their website. The picture shows a nice, smooth pattern. The actual beam pattern has several concentric rings of lightness and darkness, not even close to what the advertisement claims.

My assessment of Inova and this flashlight is that Inova is selling a product they know to be highly prone to failure, falsely advertising it, and providing extremely poor customer service.

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if people are still having trouble with the T4?, or how many people are having charging trouble? Do you think anyone from Inova is on this site?
Dave