Just got my 4AA E2 barrel!!!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a box today from Dspeck. Among all the other toys was my new 4AA barrel for my E2.

This thing rocks!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif With a KL1 and non-LOTC attached it is roughly 10.5 inches long. No idea of the wieght, but it has a nice heft since the walls are a little thicker due to being sized for AAs. The color looked a little green at first, but actually matches very well with the original Surefire parts.

I do need to find a proper o-ring for the tailcap switch. Anybody know the right size? I put one on it, but it is a little too thin to make a good seal.

The KL1 seems brighter on 4 Red Cell AAs than it did on the 2 Sanyo 123s, but that could be a trick of the ambient lighting. I also tried it with a MN02 and looked just as bright as the one in my E2o, but I am curious about the runtime.

Great job Doug! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Danny

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Added a pic. The little guy at the top is a Streamlight Keymate with a green led. It is really quite bright with a surprisingly decent throw.

fc9650a4.jpg

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTH!!! That looks like a baton! I think a torch this length should have the switch on the front. But oh well... The clip is too short, I think you can clip this to your jeans pocket and everyone will stare at you ridiculously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of reminds me of that scene in the movie City Heat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif with Clint Eastwood and Burt Renolds when Burt's character pulls out a big pistol, then Clint pulls out this pistol with a 2' barrel.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd,

Actually, it works pretty well with dress pants. I have a couple of pairs that have very deep pockets. I wore them to a training session last night and nobody noticed it was any different from their E2's. It would be a little easier to use if it had a switch at the head, but this is mainly for special ocassions at work and to leave in my bag while travelling. I suspect that most of the time I will put a KL1 on it and not have a pocket clip at all.

It did get a lot of comments when it was standing on my desk at work yesterday though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember right, Cold Steel made a 7AA flashlight.
Same shape and dimensions as a standard baton.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

Yep, it is running bright and happy on super cheap Red Cell AAs ! Not sure how the brightness/runtime will hold up, but I suspect that it will do fine with the MN03, and it seems like it would have to work well with the KL1.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Is there any reasonable way to double-back the battery pack and keep a tailcap switch? It seems plenty of the polymer lights (PT Tec 40, Impact, etc.) have double-row designs and the grip size is nice.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that is so darn nice!!!!!

please... post some up-close pictures!

it appears black...is it ha3?

when will these be available to the average consumer dspeck?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, i want that too. and also the 6 aa or 5 aa assembly? that will make it as the real kubotan light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple more pics and some measurements that I posted up on selfdefenseforums.com. The finish looks dark in the pics, but it is finished in natural HAIII and matches the color of my E2HA and E2OHA very well.

Here is a pic to give an idea about the increased wall thickness due to cutting it to take AAs:
fc94119a.jpg

And here is a sideways pic to give an idea of size:
fc9411c7.jpg

I just broke out the tape measure, and it is 9 7/8 inches long with an E1 bezel on it (the KL1 head pushes it out to right at 10 1/4 inches). With the E1 head and 4 Red Cell AAs it weighs exactly 8 ounces. Right now I am running the mn02 lamp in it and getting a really nice bright white light that is impossible to tell from my E2o running the same lamp. It would probably run fine on the 60 lumen lamp, but I have not tried it yet.

I suspect runtime will be pretty good (since 4 AAs should hold more MaH than 2 123Ls), but I need to run down a set to see how the beam quality holds up as the voltage drops. I expect to get somewhere from 2.5 to 3.5 hours of good brightness with this setup. With the current regulation of the KL1 it should run for at least 5 or 6 hours at full brightness on a set of batteries.

This is another toy he made me. It takes an E1 head on one end and a CMG Infinity head in the other (both lamp heads tighten down to turn on).

fc94108b.jpg

It is VERY stout and just little longer than a regular E2 with a nice hard aluminum bezel at the bottom instead of a soft rubber switch. It is also HAIII aluminum and is right at 5 3/8 inches long. I may get him to make a slightly longer version that would add a second 123L battery and let me run an E2 lamp in it.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are nice, Revolvergeek. Doug does very nice work. I just posted a review in reviews forum on my Custom 2C Arc LS Pack from Doug, which arrived today.

What is it about us flashaholics?? We just can't stop fondling our new 'toys'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
revolvergeek said:
....I just broke out the tape measure, and it is 9 7/8 inches long with an E1 bezel on it (the KL1 head pushes it out to right at 10 1/4 inches). With the E1 head and 4 Red Cell AAs it weighs exactly 8 ounces.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting over 6 hours at full regulation with Doug's UBH + KL1.

Length: 6 3/8"
Wght: 3.9oz (same or slightly less than a G2)

I consider this one of the best, most practical mods going if you value brightness and extended regulation in a very small lightweight light.

Brightnorm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUDE!

That's one major seduction light!

I can just imagine flipping it around my fingers like a pencil...

Where does the line ever start!

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I might have a few made if there is sufficient interest. Let me know via email or post here, and I'll see what the interest level is.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested.

What will be offered? I'd interested in 2AA, 4AA and 6AA. But the 4AA is what I'm after.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for input on the 4AA bodies at this point. The 2AA would be the regular UBH II. The 6AAs may come a little later... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Doug,

I missed this thread when it was posted (gone to Maui) but I'm glad it resurfaced! Nice work bud! Will the 4AA bodies have the reduced ID for the AA's or would you consider a body with 123 diameter compatibility? I'm thinking about 4x Copia 150A's for future higher powered LED's as well as future lower powered HID's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you'll do one in 123 diameter, sign me up.

- Don

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,
i am also interested in 4AA (mainly) and also 6 AA.
Can you make 4AA and then make 2AA barrel that can be screwed toward the 4AA barrel?