Purpose of twist/momentary switch?

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a Surefire G2L but I dunno... my preferred switch type is a forward/momentary clicky for true one handed operation. Does the twist/momentary G2L switch serve a tactical/performance function or is it just used to reduce the cost/complexity of the light? Does anyone prefer the twist/momentary switch over the forward/momentary and why?

flash_bang

Enlightened
why don't you get the 6PL and then get a Z49 or Z59 clicky to match.
btw, might get a new E1L with the forward clicky, but the twisty on my G2 works fine for me.
hago,
Flash

carrot

Flashaholic
Sure thing! Twisty switches are generally considered more reliable, less likely to latch on when thrown into a bag, and cannot accidentally be locked into constant on by a tactical operator whose safety may rely on the light only being on when s/he needs it to be.

I generally prefer twisties over clickies because it is nearly impossible for them to fail, whereas clickies do not have as great a track record, and I like knowing that I can rely on my equipment.

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
Cool thanks. I guess the G2L will have the lockout feature? The Z59 option looks possible but it's not plastic like the rest of the light. Maybe I'll keep lookin... :thinking:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2L and the 6PL have the exact same body as the incan versions. It's a drop-in module.

Though I'm curious about your comment about "true one-handed operation" ... I never had a problem using twisties one-handed for ALL functions, especially not the G2.

As to their functions: A twisty cannot be inadvertently latched into constant on, no matter how hard you press. Which is a important feature for tactical situations -- you do not want to turn yourself into a beacon for the enemy. In the stress of the firefight, it's not always easy to control your muscle functions properly enough for clickies.

Last edited:

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
Do you use your thumb and index finger with a hammer (psycho stab grip?) grip to switch it on/off? I've never used a Surefire...

*also, do you switch head twisties the same way, one handed? (I have a few diving lights where you twist the head to turn on/off but I haven't really tried one-handed switching...

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
Do you use your thumb and index finger with a hammer (psycho stab grip?) grip to switch it on/off? I've never used a Surefire...

That's pretty much how I do it. The head is near the little finger and index finger and thumb at the tail...

*also, do you switch head twisties the same way, one handed? (I have a few diving lights where you twist the head to turn on/off but I haven't really tried one-handed switching...

I've found that with most head twisties (I don't really care for them that much) I can easily turn them on one handed, holding them head end between index and thumb and tail towards little finger. I found with many that if they are only about a quarter turn "off", you can simply pull the head towards the body for quick "momentary" operation.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind in tactical situations, you typically only flash the light to obtain a quick understanding of your environment and targets and then you move so your targets do not know your position. Flashing and moving also allows to create an illusion of more manpower than there really is. If your light stays on, you've now become a target yourself. For normal use, it has no advantages over a forward clicky aside from reliability.

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
Reliability, reliability, reliability... ever had a clickie fail on you before? Not cool:candle:. I had one fail on me before and ended up having to use my car keys to short the light and get it working again

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
The non clicky type of switch is cheaper.

The clicky tail switch is the only way to go, if the option exists.
I wish they made one for the Surefire M6.