Just got a Rayovac 3W luxeon from Walmart. Reading about Cree, Which should I choose?

guy121

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I just purchased this luxeon Rayovac from Walmart for $25 + tax. I'm going on a overnight 20 mile camping trip in a couple weeks and the flashlight just looked so shiny :huh: that I had to get it. I also just needed a really powerful flashlight for when I work on electronics anyways.

So now I'm reading that Cree is more efficient/better than the Luxeon flashlights. I'm reading through reviews, but I see all these different battery types, brands, etc and I don't know what to pick.

Budget - $35
Using 2 AA nimh batteries (Can cree's even use 2AA?)
80+ Lumens
2 Modes (low/high) would be nice
Fits in my pocket

Anyone have some models/brands that I should look at? TIA!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A Seoul would be better since it has a closer beam-pattern compared to a Luxeon, the Cree's emitting pattern is a bit to narrow. The Rayovac should have a boost circuit or the Luxeon won't run.

You should look at the Fenix L2D-CE if you want a new light(there is also a 8% off coupon at Fenix store, CPF8). But it's a bit over your budget even with the coupon.

Also look at Dealextreme.

Welcome to CPF!

guy121

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I'll study up on the differences. Really a lot of info on flashlights that I didn't know a whole lot about.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you need it within two weeks you better not buy from Deal Extreme since it might not get here in time. The Fenix store is faster and their lights are better, if a bit more expensive. Another great light that would be a little closer to your budget would be the L1D-CE. Not quite as bright as the L2D-CE, but more pocketable and cheaper.

Geoff