Another Rayovac Thread ..3-C Cree led

Jefff

Enlightened
Well I just wanted to add to the other threads about local store finds on these new breads of led lights coming out in stores.. The other day I was at wally world and picked up one of the 2 AA rayovac 3 watt led lights..

Then went to Meijer's, another store here and found this cool light and couldn't resist .. After reading 150 lumens on the package and 100+ hours of run time I had to buy it.. ;)

Here are a few pics and details on this light..
The light was $24.99
And has a Cree in it for sure .. it uses a columinator style lense and mag type side clicky.. I am really impressed with the light output .. it even has a focusable head.. But I want a more tactical style head for it this one looks too much like a regular flashlight for me lol.. I need something with some teeth on the end after hanging around you guys ;) anyway here are some pics and beam shots..

1004870smallfk5.jpg

1004882smallhh3.jpg

1004898smallcu6.jpg

Here it is up against My 3Watt AA rayovac says it puts out 85 lumens.. Distance approx 17 ft
1004921smallij6.jpg

1004925smallqg9.jpg

Any ideas on mods or new head replacement keep me posted..

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool..... somebody finally got this light. Thanks for the photos AND the all important beamshots! Excellent. It looks like it's heatsinked and in contact with the main body of the light.... any comments on how hot the head is getting after 15-30 minutes of runtime? Did you notice any dimming? Great to hear that it is focusable too. Thanks again for the posting a review.

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. My Walmart still doesn't have it yet...

It is a forward/momentary clicky? (I know you said it was mag - style)

What's under the rubber grip? Is it glued down or can you slide it forward/off?

Grubbster

Enlightened
Rayovac sure is puttin' a wuppin' on Maglight! They have come up with quite a few great offerings lately. As far as I have seen, every light in the "sportsman's xtreme" series is a winner. Now there is clear evidence they have adopted the cree. Sportsmans xtreme is XCELLENT! :twothumbs

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree in a retail light... Yay!

But... what I really want to know is this: what's under that Cree star? Circuit, or resistor? A resistor would be disappointing to me... Heat sinking looks great.

Does the Cree/heat sink unscrew from the body like it appears to do?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you said there is an optical lens, but is there a reflector also? I want this light now, now, now....as I am stomping up and down throwing a tantrum
icontantrumov6.gif
....for a Rayovac light no less.:ohgeez:

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
Well I just wanted to add to the other threads about local store finds on these new breads of led lights coming out in stores.. The other day I was at wally world and picked up one of the 2 AA rayovac 3 watt led lights..

Then went to Meijer's, another store here and found this cool light and couldn't resist .. After reading 150 lumens on the package and 100+ hours of run time I had to buy it.. ;)

Here are a few pics and details on this light..
The light was $24.99
And has a Cree in it for sure .. it uses a columinator style lense and mag type side clicky.. I am really impressed with the light output .. it even has a focusable head.. But I want a more tactical style head for it this one looks too much like a regular flashlight for me lol.. I need something with some teeth on the end after hanging around you guys ;) anyway here are some pics and beam shots..

1004870smallfk5.jpg

1004882smallhh3.jpg

1004898smallcu6.jpg

Here it is up against My 3Watt AA rayovac says it puts out 85 lumens.. Distance approx 17 ft
1004921smallij6.jpg

1004925smallqg9.jpg

Any ideas on mods or new head replacement keep me posted..

I can't wait until the new NEMA standards are published in 2008. 150 lumens for 100 hours??? I respectfully doubt this...I would imagine MAG will be suing them soon over the focusable head, as in the US, MAG has strong IP protection on that feature....just my two cents.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't done any serious mods yet, but this light looks like it could be easily modded. It would be fun to buy a couple of these lights and try out the various new stars on the market with the latest LED's.

Jefff

Enlightened
any comments on how hot the head is getting after 15-30 minutes of runtime? Did you notice any dimming? .

Haven't noticed any big time heat off the light yet.. I really want to pull the star and put artic silver under it.. not sure if there is anything.. It looks rivited to the heat sink though and I am still new to the modding thing.. I wonder if I drill the rivets very easy if I can re-attach with screws after. And so far no dimming.. has a really warm tint to the light though compared to the other cree's I have seen. more white/ slight yellow and away from that purple blue color.

It is a forward/momentary clicky? (I know you said it was mag - style)

What's under the rubber grip? Is it glued down or can you slide it forward/off?

You have to engage the switch till it clicks before it will come on. I think reverse clicky.. after that slight depress and it becomes like a momentary off until a full click and then it goes off..

Rubber grip is not glued on.. infact in the stock position it is kinda loose. The light body has a bevel recess the grip rides in. And on mine I tried taking the grip off and it was really slick so I put it back on and pushed it forward, partially onto the larger part of the light body right before the switch and now it feels very secure.. Wish the light was HA III but who wouldn't lol.. But I think a rougher textured coating would make it less slippery with out the rubber grip.. Or if the grip becomes damaged or worn and needs to come off it would have been a better option.

But... what I really want to know is this: what's under that Cree star? Circuit, or resistor? A resistor would be disappointing to me... Heat sinking looks great.

Does the Cree/heat sink unscrew from the body like it appears to do?

I would like to hear more about this too.. I am kinda leary of just trying to unscrew the heat sink with out knowing right off how it works.. I really don't want to hurt my brightest light .lol ... And I wish I knew more about the technical aspect of running leds to there maximun potiential Via circut, buck, resistor or other wise.. After all my reading on this wonderful site I still have yet to fully grasp the whole Vf=, bin coding, what light runs best at what voltage and what number of cells will damage the led and how to tell what wattage or voltage the led is even running at, and all that neat stuff I want so bad to understand but it hasn't quite stuck yet so far lol .. If someone could chime in on weather or not this thing unscrews I would be more than happy to take extensive pictures of the engine and post them up and let the smarter people determin how it is driven.

What's the overall length on the light? Shorter than a 3C Mag (~11 inches)?

Overall length is 9 & 3/4 inches just under 10 inches..

I know you said there is an optical lens, but is there a reflector also?

No reflector at all.. just the optical lense then an outter flat lense

I wonder if there can be a smooth reflector or OP style that can fit in it though..

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there can be a smooth reflector or OP style that can fit in it though..
Hey Jefff, thanks for answering everybody's questions. As you can tell, we are all VERY interested in this light. As far as a reflector goes..... any chance a mag reflector will fit?.... what is the vertical distance between where the LED is attached and the outer lens?

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out all Vf, voltage stuff too.... but.... it's fun learning... and this light looks like a fun candidate for some experimentation. :naughty:

Jefff

Enlightened
As far as a reflector goes..... any chance a mag reflector will fit?.... what is the vertical distance between where the LED is attached and the outer lens?

Well the only way I can really guess to measure would be to measure the V length or depth of the optics in it..???
untitledwh4.jpg

Which would be 3/4 of an inch deep, and 5/8 across the middle of the circle otter edge to outer edge..

But if you want the interior dimensions of the head that would be 5/8 inch across the inner middle circle, by approx 1 inch deep to the seat and beginning of the inner threads but I'm guessing that wont work because of the heat sink protruding past the threads 1/4 inch ... So the optics measurement probably would be my best bet.. But you do have a few threads distance to play with because the head screws all the way down placing the optics tight against the Cree star with a recess in the optic lense to accomadate the led

hope this helps and forgive my rough drawings lol

Last edited:

LED4evr

Newly Enlightened
I went into my local Meijers and they had them also! The first thing I noticed is the rubber grip is slides around on its own. I think I'll have to silicone it on there so it doesn't drift.

Secondly the post that holds the lanyard isn't sealed and it slides back and forth. So although there are o rings on threads, water could easily go through the post on the tail.

The quality of construction doesn't seem very high but then again it was only 25 bucks.

I can't tell for sure but it seems as though it only has a resistor in it. The black wire on top of the first picture can be seen from inside going right to the switch, so I doubt it has any regulation. If you look in the rectangle towards the top of the second picture you can see it.

Here's the ROV Extreme and the Malkoff SSC P4 together. Keep in mind that i'm standing to the left of the lights so ignore any slight angular distortion. ROV on the left Malkoff on the right. The Wall is about 10 feet 8 inches away.

What you can't see to well in this photo is that the ROV has a whiter beam than the Malkoff but the Malkoff has brighter more useful spill around the spot.

It's a very bright light, though with 3 C's instead of D's i'm sure it won't stay as bright as long as the Malkoff. I'm going test the runtime next.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jefff, VERY useful drawings and info. Hey, for $25 seems like a no-brainer. More good photos and thoughts LED4evr!

I'm wondering what a piece of the diffusion material I got from FASTCAR would do to the beam on this puppy? Hmmmm...... I can't wait till we get these locally.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what kind of throw this light has? I know my 4D Mag with the TerraLUX drop-in is a super thrower, as I'm sure the Malkoff is. How does this light compare to those for throw?

fishx65

Enlightened
Just picked one up at a Meijer in Michigan! This is my first Cree so I'm a little overly impressed!!! To me, it feels very well constructed. The focus works about the same as a mag ( just to tighten up the beam and get a smooth hotspot ). It's about an inch longer then a 2C mag and has a much smaller head. For those of you that don't have a Cree yet: This thing blows the doors off all of my store purchased Luxeons! These include: Dorcy 3D, 4AA propoly, 2AA 3 watt Camo River Rock. It makes all these look very, very dim! I am now totally sold on these newer leds and will be converting all my old luxeons. I would guess that it's more than twice as bright as the 4AA propoly lux!
I would like to hear how this new Rayovac compares to some of the other Crees I've been reading about for the last 6 months such as the MRV and D-mini.
Gotta give credit to Rayovac for being the first to hit the mass-market with a Cree!

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if that cree led could somehow be put into a Streamlight Propolymer 3C.

:naughty:

fishx65

Enlightened
Couple more comments on this light: You can remove the whole head and use it for candle mode or a flood light. The nice thing about being C size is that I've already put some heater hose down the tube to run it with 3 AA rechargeables.