Best single-AA light for EDC?

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
I prefer AA battery lights. I have a couple of cheaper models (MTE SSC, JetBeam C-LE), but looking for a top-quality light. I know everyone is excited about the Novatec 85/120 lights, but those lights don't use AA. Can someone recommend the best light for my criteria:

(order of importance)
1- brightness
2- runtime
3- build quality/finish
4- reliability
5- price (not that important, as long as it isn't $500)

Thanks!

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
You can read a long list of reviews of the new LumaPower LM301 (1AA) and the LM303 (1CR123) in the review section. I've had my LM301 for a couple of days and I think it's outstanding. I'm wearing it right now as my new EDC.
$31 (minus the "CPF2006" code 5% discount at Battery Junction).
It's a simple two-level clickie with a bright high and a good long-running low. Very well made and it just plain works exactly like it's supposed to with no flickering, great beam and nice construction.
Couple that with quick shipping from a USA dealer and that's my current answer for your 1AA multi-level light question even though it wouldn't be considered a "premium" light.

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]The Lumapower LM301 light looks nicely finished, and some will no doubt prefer the clicky to a twisty light like the C-LE, but the Jetbeam C-LE that you already have out performs this light across the board, on both output and runtime.

http://www.lightreviews.info/lp_lm301/review.html

High - 452 Lux / 1 hour 16 minutes
Low - 92 Lux / 6 hours 27 minutes

http://www.lightreviews.info/cle_1_2/review.html

High - 1043 Lux / 1 hour 34 minutes (mine runs 2 hours plus on NiMH)
Med - 341 Lux / 5 hours 34 minutes (mine runs about 6 hours on NiMH)
Low - 87 Lux / 20 Plus Hours (actually rated even higher, he didn't test)

Not knocking anyone's choice, but this isn't even a contest, the only reason that I think the LM301 rated as highly as it did, was based on a 'value' score that showed up because he has the light listed at the incredible (apparently no longer available) price of 20 dollars.

You might want to take a look at the Fenix L1D

http://www.lightreviews.info/fenix_lxd_ce/review_l1d.html

High(Turbo) - 1591 Lux / 1 hour 37 minutes
Med - 792 Lux / 4 hours 26 minutes
Low - 165 Lux / 24 plus hours

Though this isn't the "Twice the output AND more runtime" situation that the C-LE/LM301 was, this light does beat your Jetbeam C-LE by respectable margins on both max output and on the low level output and runtime.

Fenix also has really good build quality, so if you don't mind the fact that the L1D will set you back more than twice what a C-LE does, I think you may want to consider the Fenix L1D.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Fact is, you can spend a LOT more money on exotic lights, but it's hard to beat the L1D for raw performance, reliability and build quality.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Taepo and welcome to CPF:)

Since you are looking for a high quality light, I would recommend a Custom or semi Custom light like the Maxlight.
Also nice the Barbolight T-04 but not very bright with one AA-cell:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=1966601&postcount=1

You can ask some modders here, for building a light according your wishes (i.e. a 2xCR123 body which fits 1xAA cell or with extender for 2xAA cells).

Factory lights like the Fenix, Lumapower........don't have the building quality and reliability I'm looking for (yes, I own a few of these brands).

So if you are willing to spend more than the prices of these lights, you can get much better lights according to the mentioned quality.

Best regards

____
Tom

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
The review link listed by Luminescent for the LM301 is the older version with a luxeon. The new version I received has an SSC P-4 emitter and performs much better for brightness and beam quality.
It now also has a regular bezel and comes in the typical packaging of similar quality lights such as Fenix. It includes 3 different rubber switch covers, O-rings, a lanyard and a sheath.

Last edited:

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the Fenix, Lumapower, and those custom lights. Great ideas everyone!

BTW, I'm also thinking about maybe just using the C-LE as my EDC, and maybe something bigger and more powerful around the home and for car repairs. Would a (2x)CR123A light fit this need? Any recommendations for one that's under $200 or so?

Still would like something with the same criteria as before: brightness, runtime, build quality, reliability, price (in that order).

Luminescent

Enlightened
The review link listed by Luminescent for the LM301 is the older version with a luxeon. The new version I received has an SSC P-4 emitter and performs much better for brightness and beam quality.
It now also has a regular bezel and comes in the typical packaging of similar quality lights such as Fenix. It includes 3 different rubber switch covers, O-rings, a lanyard and a sheath.

That makes sense. I downloaded the PDF manual from the web site, and the new specs look about on a par with all the better CREE and P4 lights, and the build quality on this little light looks absolutly fantastic.

From the drive levels listed in the PDF info (350ma) and the beam pattern (slightly floody), I suspect that the overall output is now easily on a par with the C-LE, but may still be slightly less than the L1D.

At the price you quoted, the LM301 fits very nicely between the C-LE and the Fenix lights in quality and performance, and really does look like a great bet for those that want good beam performance and build quality, but don't want or need a complicated UI.

Sorry for the mix-up. :oops:

lunardelite

Newly Enlightened
I would put in a vote for the Proton.

Just got one and for an EDC its versatility is unmatched. It could be a little brighter but that's just for bragging rights. I use to want the brightest but discovered lately that usability is what makes a true EDC. Also, that long and sturdy pocket clip is awesome. Why don't more lights come with it?

Plus, LRI's warranty is supposed to be top notch.

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a L1D with orange-peel reflector and Q5 emitter from fenix-store.

fluke

Enlightened
Arc P AAA.
5 Hours + runtime on an alkaline.
Put a lithium primary in there and it good to go for years.
Not the brightest but one of the best made.

:oops::oops: AA :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the Fenix, Lumapower, and those custom lights. Great ideas everyone!

BTW, I'm also thinking about maybe just using the C-LE as my EDC, and maybe something bigger and more powerful around the home and for car repairs. Would a (2x)CR123A light fit this need? Any recommendations for one that's under $200 or so?

Still would like something with the same criteria as before: brightness, runtime, build quality, reliability, price (in that order).
Howdy Taepo, and welcome to CPF,
Yep, I use the Jetbeam C-LE for my EDC, hooked to a small Swiss Army knife. That way I've got the tools to fix something, and the light to see what I'm doing. It's surprising just how often I use that little combo. I've also got the Novatac 120P on order for my "other" pocket EDC, but for around the house I've been seriously looking at this:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-103-105-6324

It seems that all the reviews show the build quality of the new WE products to be top notch, and I think outfitted with the 4 mode digital Cree drop in it will give lots of useful combinations of lighting possibilties.... from extremely bright (but still with over 90 minutes runtime), to not so bright with VERY long run times. Use an 18650 rechargeable battery and you also get low operating costs (with some CR123s in reserve for emergencies).

I've heard from others on CPF that the D36 turbo head (Explorer model) has a slightly better beam if you can live with the bigger head... and that's the one I'm considering. Happy hunting!

arty

Enlightened
I have Fenix lights, but prefer the quality I can get in Peak. I have some Pacifics in brass and aluminum. You can get them with varying power levels and bodies. I have one in HA in my pocket right now, but with a CR2 body. If you want AA, they have that as well. If you want to use AA, I'd recommend the ultra power level. The High Power is fine with a CR2 battery - and it is small. You can even get a AAA body for the Pacific, but I don't use them.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I too favour AA for EDC, and have both the Jetbeam C-E and the Fenix L1D-CE. Although the Fenix is a superior light in all technical aspects, I find the C-LE more often in my pocket: better looking, a little smaller, simpler to operate, textured reflector. On the minus side, PWM is quite noticeable and the UI is not so flexible: the Fenix can be setup to start at either low or turbo...

Aside from ugrading the emmiters, there's not a lot more I can ask of a flashlight!

Dobbler

Enlightened
I have both the Fenix L1D-CE w/OP and Lumapower LM301. The Fenix is brighter, but the LM301 is lighter. If you want multi-mode, get the Fenix. If you want simplicity, get the LM301. It's a tough call but unless you desire all the fancy modes, I'd say the LM301 is a better value for the money.

Dobbler

Enlightened
Dobbler,
Can you compare the beam spill of the L1D OP and the LM 301?
Which has the more useful flood?

LM301 has a lot more flood and is more useful for close-up work both because of the beam and the lower output of the low mode (as compared to the L1D's lowest setting).

LightScene

Enlightened
AA lights are bigger than CR123 lights even though the capacities are quite similar. The low voltage of a single AA puts them at a big disadvantage for high output levels. For edc the CR123/RCR123 lights are smaller, lighter and brighter. Strangely, although an AA/14500 is smaller in diameter than a CR123/16340, the AA lights are usually larger in diameter than the CR123 lights, making them less desirable for edc.

Hikaru

Newly Enlightened
Is there any reason why the luma M3 doesn't make anyone's list here?
I thought it looked like a pretty versatile "upgrade" to the 301. Is it a case of being a jack of all trades and a master of none?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hikaru, the reason in my view is that using a Lumapower M3 in the 1 x AA form factor is not the best you can do for EDC. This light (which I have, complete with Turbohead) is bigger and heavier than the others. I put it in my pocket only when I want to use it for a walk in the dark, it is too large to have it always with me. Personally I can not think of it in terms of EDC.