Victorinox Centurion lock blade with thumb release?

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the two knives Victorinox Centurion lock blade and the Victorinox One-Hand Trekker. What bothers me is that both have what i want but have exactly one problem. The Centurion doesn't have a thumb release, and the One-Hand Trekker has a wood saw that i wouldn't need and just takes up space. Is there a knife that has what i want but i don't know about??? I've heard of people buying custom Victorinox knives, how much is that anyway?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, they don't make a model with the one hand open blade without any of the extra blades, so you probably want to make sure that extra blade is at least useful. You may want to take a look at the One-hand Parachutist. It has a "seat belt cutter/parachute rigging cutter", which is useful for so much more. It's serrated but with no point, so it's much safer and easier to use for things such as cutting rope or straps without as much risk of slicing off your own finger.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=sportsandleisure&product=54869&
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002RU0Z6/?tag=cpf0b6-20

RebelRAM

Enlightened
What exactly do you mean by "thumb release"? To my knowledge Victorinox only has two locking blade types. One is the liner lock as seen on the OHT and other black handled 111mm models. The other is a side lock button which is on the side of the scale of red handled 111mm models.

It sounds like you want a 111mm version of a Tinker model. The Centurion is very close. The Adventurer is the only other model I can think of that is very similar. I believe it has the side lock.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PL394I/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Marduke

Flashaholic
By "thumb release" I think he meant a thumb hole on the blade so it was one-hand open. All Vic blades of this type are linerlock. The 111mm Vic's with the drop point blades have no lock, or a slider lock on the handle.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The larger red knives have a sliding release on the left scale - i.e. thumb release for righthanded use. Problem I have with their linerlocks is that they are "backwards" -- must be pulled with the thumb instead of pushed as with most other linerlocks.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
The liner locks are definitely backwards... or as some people call them left handed. I have gotten used to mine. I also find that I usually carry my OHT in a sheath on my left side of my belt. So opening and closing with my left hand feels normal even though I am right handed. The other interesting thing is the serrations on the OHT, they are on the opposite side from most blades and they are located towards the front rather than the rear of the blade. Some people grind the serrations off, but I have found after using them for awhile they are really very useful and can be used in slightly different ways from my other serrated blades.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always tended to believe the saw blades were a waste of space, then a couple of times I really needed them, so I'm kind of converted. I'd like very much to have a OHT with a plainedge blade and a full serrated blade. And yellow GID scales while we're at it. A black knife is like a black flashlight -- kinda hard to find in the dark.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
yea by thumb release i meant that semi-circle ring on top of the blade that you can use to open the blade. The reason why i want the thumb release is so that i can open the blade faster in an emergency. Those blades with the nail slot to open take forever. Unless the lock blade versions of those blades open easier?