Best bang for your buck

Drawbar

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys....I`m new to led torches and have been all through the site...I really love it.

Being a maglite man for many years (I have 5 of them) I was blown away when I received my ultafire cree c3 with the extension from Dealextreme. It would seem now I`m hooked. Although this light has all the lumens I need I want to go further.

My question is....where can I go from here on lights using AA or smaller or am I better off going to lights using cr123...etc...

I`m looking for super bright...small as my c3 for under 60 bucks. I plan to give a lot of lights as gifts this xmas!!!

Thanks....

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant give you advice on high echelon light like Surefire with the quality of their own, so you know where my advice stands, but recently i purchased Eastward YJ from DX its throws is really good, the spot is even brighter than my car HID spill at about 10meter from the front bumper, worth it. maybe not the size of you C3 but for the price it is a really good thrower.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Drawbars (for a B3 by any chance?), and welcome to CPF. I hope you enjoy your time here. It's an exciting time to enter the quickly changing world of flashlights!

My only advice on shopping for lights would be to spend some time carefully considering your choices (which there are lots of) before spending your money, and pick a few quality lights to start with.

Then, as you become more familiar with what's available, and what your needs are, you can slowly begin to build your collection.

Of course, then there is always the CPF motto..... if in doubt, buy both! :crackup:

Dobbler

Enlightened
Cree C2 from DX is a nice thrower for about 1/3-1/4 the cost of similar lights (like the MRV)

paulr

Flashaholic
The types of lights you're describing are not very good as gifts for non-flashaholics. 123-powered lights mean they have to either buy batteries online or end up paying 7+ bucks apiece for them, plus if they buy online they need enough knowledge to choose non-exploding brands. AA powered means they'll try using AA alkaline batteries, which can't provide enough current to make good use of these high powered lights. The answer is AA rechargeables, so the right way to do this type of gift is an AA light AND a recharging kit (e.g. 2 cells and a charger). You have to include that in the cost. Most NiMH batteries have problems with self-discharge, and only the better chargers have independent channels which are important if you're using single cell lights. Finally, complex microprocessor controlled lights might appeal to gadget buffs but for regular users they are just a pain in the neck.

Conclusion: I'd go to a good 1AA light plus a Sanyo Eneloop charger kit (low self-discharge plus those chargers have independent channels). Unfortunately there are NO really satisfactory 1aa lights that I know of, except maybe the Peak Pacific which is rather expensive (and I haven't tried one). The Fenix L1D CE has a complex microprocessor interface, the L1T has an older LED that's much less efficient than current Crees and P4's, the MTE 42180-U would be just about perfect but its build quality is a little bit lacking and numerous examples including mine have flicker problems. If Fenix revives the L1P or makes a Cree-equipped L1T, I'd go for that.

Last edited:

looman

Enlightened
Fenix P3D if you want small and good. It is marginally brighter (to the eye) than my Surefure U2) but the claimed output of 165 on max I feel is exaggerated. It is however a very good little unit - not too big and with a good centre spot and a good flood too. Excellent little arounder.

The U2 is a different league in terms of build quality and I consider the Fenix to be nicely put together.

I have just ordered a Tiablo A8 over the MRV but both sound good kit and well made - do a search in the review section. They are bigger than the Fenix and the U2 but they push out 200 lumens out of the front and you have choices of smooth or orange peel reflectors to change the beam and flood patterns. Both have plus' and minus' in terms of method of operation - especially iro the switches.

However, I would hold on for a bit as there are now 400+ lumen lights coming out and I am waiting for reveiws to decide if I want to buy again.

Also, it is a little subjective as to what you mean most bang for your bucks as sheer output at the expense of any degree of quality is a false economy.

I cannot tell you about lights such as ultrafire wolf eyes etc as no experience.

But a lot is happening and the LED output performance has just taken a step forward. How quick you step onto that level is up to you though.