Peak Pacific or Fenix for Keychain Carry

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I know some folks say I should just call Peak, but I'm wondering if anybody here can tell me if there is any virtue in the Peak Pacific (or Baltic) with SSC P4 (UP or SP) versus a Fenix L0D-CE? I'd be willing to look at Peak's CR-2, AA and AAA offerings. I'd really like to buy American, but despite my patriotism, I don't want to buy an inferior light in terms of output and runtime. Unfortunately, despite the fact I have the Peak "CD" I still can't tell squat about their light outputs; and, that immediately makes me somewhat disinterested.

The Peak CR2 appears on paper as big as my current EDC - an "old" Fenix P1 (original series which scares me. I don't see anything good about their AAA offering either since the head is so big or should I look at the Baltic for their AAA offering?

Basically, I want to replace my P1 with something of the form factor like my old Solitaire that I carried for 8 or 9 years (since upgraded with a LED drop-in) with the "uumph" of my old P1 and toughness between the Fenix and my HDS. You folks have scared me with the PWM of the Fenix. Just how bad is it on say "medium?"

Also, I'd like a run-time of at least 2 hours to 50% with at least 25 Lumens on say an L91 style AAA battery (unless I go with the CR2).

Finally, I don't buy with PayPal or CC overseas. So it'd have to be a US supplier or UK supplier. Sorry, but I've been through internet CC theft before, and I'm not willing to chance it again.

Perhaps I should just EDC that new WEE:twothumbs?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like Peak lights but think that they do not have something competitive in the really small catagory using a AAA cell. I would pick up a LOP-CE.

The Baltic would be a best alternative by Pak but they do not offer a "pocket" style battery tube. The one they do offer is a bit longer in length with an attachment that makes it (IMO) just too big.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, that's what I kinda thought. I just posted in another thread my dream AAA light. It's basically the L0D-CE with 2 modes and ARC-like toughness.

Grubbster

Enlightened
The only offering Peak has that is truly a keychain light is the Matterhorn. The others are just too big for keychain. Even though the Matterhorn does not have the latest, greatest LED technology, it's 5mm LEDs are some of the best around. The "snow" color is very white and bright. In the 3 bulb models it puts out plenty of light for this type of application. I have one in stainless with a lug body and the thing is bomb proof. With no anodizing to worry about, the stainless will look as good in several years as it does now. You can order it in your choice of power levels. The high power is nice because it has decent runtime and brightness. I find in a keychain light, I really do not need multiple levels. In this application I definitively believe in KISS!

arty

Enlightened
If you are willing to just drop the light in your pocket, the Pacific with CR2 pocket body is smaller than the Fenix P1. It is 6 cm long, and that is about 2 -3/8 inches. The body is a bit smaller in dia. as well. The keyring version is longer.
I have them in HA and brass (all luxeon 3W). If you want more output, you can opt for an ultrapower level or the new LED version.
The good thing about the Pacific is that you can also get a AA body. The total length becomes about 3.3 inches. Light output is a bit lower with 1.5 volts, but runtime is extended. The AA version is heavy in brass, but not in HA. I measured about 205 cp for the HP in AA, but over 300 on a CR2. The ultra on a CR2 gets over 400 cp. They are bright enough for me. For comparison purposes, the Matterhorn gets less than 1/2 the output of the AA Pacific. I don't care for the AAA body for the Pacific.

I agree that the Baltic is large in keyring format - 3.5". I prefer a Matterhorn with 3LEDs for a keyring, but with a lug body. I have one in ultra. The output is a little less than the Baltic, but the Baltic is better for extended use.

The Peak lights seem to be more substantial than the Fenix lights. In twisty form, they are available in some compact configurations. The annodizing seems good on HA, and they have been 100% reliable. I can't say that for every Fenix that I have had. It is also nice to have multiple bodies for the lights.

discoverEDC

Enlightened
I've looked at the info for the LiteFlux LF2. It uses 1 aaa and has multiple outputs with an XRE or SSC emitter. The output levels are by PWM but the refresh rate is around 7,500 Hz so it won't be visible. It also can use the aaa Li-Ion battery. I don't know if there is a US distributer. There is a description in the reviews section of the LF2 vs. the Jet micro. I also saw a reference to the LF2 in the main LED thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts