How do I clean an E2e reflector?

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is some stuff on the reflector, can you remove it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in how one goes about disassembling the E1/E2 heads to clean the reflector -- if possible.

My nearly 1-year-old E2e's refelctor is a bit hazy, and not ultra-mirror-looking-reflective like a brand-new E2e I just purchased.

And yes -- the brand-new E2e has a brighter spot than my older E2e -- even after switching around batteries and bulbs... I'm pretty convinced it's the reflector that's causing one light to have a dimmer center.. Of course, not all reflectors are the same, so small differences between two flashlights is a given...

But regardless, is this something I can polish? Is this a sign of a defective reflector or just... wear & tear?

I'm quite curious, but I have no answers... Anyone?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Any attempt at cleaning reflectors ususally does more harm then good.

It is possible to break the seals and take these apart but it'll be very difficult to put back together.

If you need a new E2e bezel, many people have ones they don't use because they have a KL1 for their E2e. Why not try to convince members in the buy/sell/trade to part with one.

Al

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about jdriller, but in my case, the reflector looks like it has been "toasted" under the heat of the bulb -- it has that slightly glazed, heated look... I figured that any attemps to clean reflectors would be pointless... even when I use high-quality, microscope lens wipes, I find that even those are too rough for the smooth reflectors...

Silly me -- I totally forgot about bugging CPF'ers for their bezels... Worse yet, I forgot about my E1e's bezel, which has been replaced by the KL1... My E2e is like new again... muwahahaha...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
they'll probably just send a new bezel. this is one of the reasons i prefer the 6P derivatives (C2,Z2,D2,etc) cos the reflector can be replaced.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brand new E2 (pre-E2e days) arrived with specks and gunk inside the lens/reflector area. Blowing air into the head didn't seem to work, so I emailed SF. SF customer service instructed me to remove the bezel and lamp, then 1) pour rubbing alcohol inside the head, 2) swirl it around, 3) pour the alcohol out, 4) let it air dry, and 5) reassemble. Never tried it, so don't know if it works...

Tombeis

Enlightened
I have used alcohol to clean a Surefire reflector on a 9N after a lamp exploded.

The alcohol did no harm and was beneficial in removing the glass and the white powder from the reflector.

I would say it would not hurt to try the alcohol.

Better yet, I would now send that reflector to Surefire for evaluation and replacement.

Latest posts