New Quad Seoul Project input.

mitchell300

Newly Enlightened
I have been planning for a little while and have just started today my new Quad Seoul project I though I would put up some pics of the work so far and I will show my progress. (Note that this is my first bigish project)

Specs:
4x U-Bin Seoul LED's from DX
4x Khatod shiny reflectors for the final project, I was shipped the strippled though the shiny reflectors are being shipped at the moment.
1x Lux Drive 1000ma PowerPuck
Still deciding on batteries I'm thinking 4x 18650's cause I need a minimum of about 14.8V for the driver to output the right current. (feedback on this would be great, Looking for something that has high capacity and is relatively small.

I have run a small test on a power supply and the flood with these reflectors is amazing, I cannot wait to see the throw with the shiny reflectors.

I plan to cut the heat sink that it is sitting on down so that I can fit it into a suitable host body..

Here are a couple of pics so far I will keep you all updated, and feed back about the light is appreciated.

P1000455.jpg

P1000457.jpg

I should be looking at finishing this pretty soon, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mitchell

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mitchell:)

Nice work so far :thumbsup:

I would pot the solder-connections with AA-epoxy = corrosion prevention and protection against mechanical effects.

Best regards

____
Tom

Gryloc

Enlightened
Do not forget to isolate the slugs with AA epoxy. If more than on would happen to short out against the heatsink, you can blow the ESD diodes in the emitters and cause yourself some trouble. When they blow, they usually just short out. This will cause you many headaches. Also, do not forget that the slug of the Seoul P4 is connected directly to the V+ power lead. I would hate for something to happen where a bond wire will fuse open on you. The main reason that I am bringing this up is that I had quite a few experiences with multiple emitters being used where I blew a couple of those protective ESD diodes and it shorts lead wires to the ground and/or changes the Vf of the LED. You can get a lot of weird and almost unexplainable things to happen. This happened to me with K2s and too thin of a layer of AA epoxy. The slug has a different polarity as the Seoul P4, but you can get the same problems... :sick2:

I liked NYLITE's suggestion of applying AA epoxy to the base of the slug and press it against some smooth LDPE plastic (your standard deli container lid) and let the epoxy cure. Then apply another thin coat after the first hardens or tackens and finally glue the emitter to the main heatsink. It is simple to do and only requires you to wait another hour for the first thin layer of epoxy to harden some. Just make sure you use the LDPE plastic. Look on different disposable containers around the kitchen and look for the special recycling logo. It will give this plastic type as a 4 letter code. Hint: if you are a big coffee drinker, then look at the frosted plastic lid to your coffee tin.

The project looks nice! Good luck finding the perfect host. You will have a great, super-bright light when you are finished!

-Tony

mitchell300

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies,

The LED's are epoxied using Arctic Silver on a piece of PCB I cut to shape and it is not electrically condictive, though it is good due to the fact it is etching PCB it has a copper layer on the back which is perfect for thermal transfer to the heat sink.

I will definatly pot the connectors which is a great idea thanks for that one,

I have also got the shiny reflectors in yesterday and tested them out and it give a nice bright hot spot with a flawless beam I really cant wait to get it in a host and try it out side....

I will post some more info when I get it done.

Thanks,