Jetbeam CLE V1.2 LED Swap

mosport

Enlightened
Took apart my CLE to remove lint behind the lens but haven't done this mod yet... Happy with my tint and output :)

The head will twist apart just below the knurling band after the glue is weakened with a heat gun or hair dryer. Inside you'll find an XRE mounted on a mini-star board that's much smaller than standard size star. Haven't seen this smaller star for sale, if it was available then the swap would be pretty much straight forward. You could also unmount the emitter using a butane gas lighter then re-flow solder a Q-bin in an old toaster oven.

HTH.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took apart my CLE to remove lint behind the lens but haven't done this mod yet... Happy with my tint and output :)

The head will twist apart just below the knurling band after the glue is weakened with a heat gun or hair dryer. Inside you'll find an XRE mounted on a mini-star board that's much smaller than standard size star. Haven't seen this smaller star for sale, if it was available then the swap would be pretty much straight forward. You could also unmount the emitter using a butane gas lighter then re-flow solder a Q-bin in an old toaster oven.

HTH.

it's in the market
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3393

mosport

Enlightened
The mini-star in the DealExtreme link is the same P4 flux bin used in the v1.2 CLE.

Good to know there are replacements available in case a re-flow mod goes wrong.

vetkaw63

Enlightened

Not easy is an understatement. I used a heatgun and strapwrenches. No go. So, I heated it again, put rubber tubing around it, clamped it in a vise and turned with a strap wrench. Still no go. I started to round off the knurling on the little ring so, I gave up. It is too pretty of a light to destroy.
Mike

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mini-star in the DealExtreme link is the same P4 flux bin used in the v1.2 CLE.

Good to know there are replacements available in case a re-flow mod goes wrong.
Looks like no reason to swap mine, fer now.

My C-LE appears to have a Q2 binned (maybe)LED. :shrug: It's not like the one at DealExtreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3393

At least, mine looks just like the Q2 (3d pic) here with 4 wires, in this thread. Here...

And it does not look like the one in the post linked to in post #3 of this thread either.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165499

Nor does it look like x2x3x2's in his review. http://www.lightreviews.info/cle_1_2/review.html

And the one in mine is identical to the LED in my P2D Q2 from the Fenix store. :thinking:

I ordered my C-LE the first few days of the 'Seasonal Sale' thread in CPFMP.
It'd be nice to know for sure what it is. :shrug:
Does anyone else's look like this with the 4 wires?

Pic upon request.

Edit:Found some time. Here's a pic.

2d Edit: Well it looks like the 4 bond wires is no assurance it is a Q2. poop!

cleq2ox7.jpg

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I finally got mine apart. It has 4 bond(?)wires. My emitter is glued down and, not with thermal compound. It looks like I will have to destroy the stock board to replace it. For that much trouble I may wait for an R bin.
If anybody is going to try this, be very careful or you WILL damage the light. There is a LOT of glue and very little to hold on to. Just the one ring of knurling.
Mike

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got mine apart. It has 4 bond(?)wires. My emitter is glued down and, not with thermal compound. It looks like I will have to destroy the stock board to replace it. For that much trouble I may wait for an R bin.
If anybody is going to try this, be very careful or you WILL damage the light. There is a LOT of glue and very little to hold on to. Just the one ring of knurling.
Mike

which stock board you destroy?
the one holding the emitter or the driver board?

vetkaw63

Enlightened
which stock board you destroy?
the one holding the emitter or the driver board?

Sorry for the late response. I have been at the beach. It is the emitter board that will be destroyed when I dig and pry it out of there. There is a lot of glue around mine.
Mike