WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY TIABLO???

SaVaGe

Enlightened
I had it shipped to my work (A8) and got it yesterday. I drove home happily. I put new batteries to try them and........the F#@^ing light dosent work!..first i see little (very dim) flashes! then i click to turn it off, made sure polarity is correct, read the instruction 6 billion F!!@@ing times
and still flickers. I dont know why but she started working.(after many times of ON and Off's)........she is bright!! and im going through the stages, like LOW and HIGH and she works great! but when i turned her off and the light rested and got cold it started happening again. This is frustrating me, its not like KIT-TRONICS is around the block. Pls help me get this light going the way it should be!

looman

Enlightened
The maker advises that the A8 is run on low for 3 to 5 minutes after fresh batteries are inserted before running on high output.

If your putting fresh batts in, the voltage is probably a bit too high and is causing the system to protect itself.

I think you willl now find that the unit will work fine.

If you read StefanFS review on the A* , it gets a good write up and compares well to the MRV even tho his MRV was tweaked n modded.

Will find out for myself soon - my one should be here soon - UPS siad already made it into the UK so should be with me monday/tuesday

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had it shipped to my work (A8) and got it yesterday. I drove home happily. I put new batteries to try them and........the F#@^ing light dosent work!..first i see little (very dim) flashes! then i click to turn it off, made sure polarity is correct, read the instruction 6 billion F!!@@ing times
and still flickers. I dont know why but she started working.(after many times of ON and Off's)........she is bright!! and im going through the stages, like LOW and HIGH and she works great! but when i turned her off and the light rested and got cold it started happening again. This is frustrating me, its not like KIT-TRONICS is around the block. Pls help me get this light going the way it should be!
You need to calm down and contact your seller. You may have a faulty light that needs replacement. Cursing about it wont help.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it from the starting point.
- Which cell type are you using?
- Which brand of that cell type are you using?

This flashlight has a driver that is optimized for 18650 LiIon, Cr123 seems to be usable when you "have to". Some brands of CR123 cells have high initial voltages, eg. Energizer that tend to have a starting cell voltage exceeding 3.25 Volt. Batterystation seems to have a lower starting voltage. If you pop spanking fresh Energizer, Surefire etc. brand cells in it you have to run it on low for a while to get the cells close to 3.0 Volt. I noticed this too, and Tiablo mention this in their spec's.

If you have any 18650 cells laying around, try one.
Stefan

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maker advises that the A8 is run on low for 3 to 5 minutes after fresh batteries are inserted before running on high output.

If your putting fresh batts in, the voltage is probably a bit too high and is causing the system to protect itself.
That's... dumb. Couldn't they find a driver that could handle a few more tenths of a volt?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's... dumb. Couldn't they find a driver that could handle a few more tenths of a volt?

According to the "Norte" terms boost & buck, pertaining to led flashlight drivers, you would then lose regulation if you have a voltage window that is too wide. Just my speculative mind running loose, as usual.
Stefan

SaVaGe

Enlightened
Take it from the starting point.
- Which cell type are you using?
- Which brand of that cell type are you using?

This flashlight has a driver that is optimized for 18650 LiIon, Cr123 seems to be usable when you "have to". Some brands of CR123 cells have high initial voltages, eg. Energizer that tend to have a starting cell voltage exceeding 3.25 Volt. Batterystation seems to have a lower starting voltage. If you pop spanking fresh Energizer, Surefire etc. brand cells in it you have to run it on low for a while to get the cells close to 3.0 Volt. I noticed this too, and Tiablo mention this in their spec's.

If you have any 18650 cells laying around, try one.
Stefan

i guess i understand now. im using surefire batteries. everytime i turn it on (60 lumens) and run it for few seconds, then its ok. This is normal i guess right?.........also my Surefire batteries are not so new hey have less than 25 mins of on ond off on them from my U2.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW, Ultrafire in two versions, DLG. All above 2000 mAh. I did the testing with AW cells. All are protected except the DLG. All perform/performed well. I do however recommend using protected cells, always.
Stefan