Led & Incandescent Observations

Spin

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Brinkman Maxfire LX with the xenon bulb. In comparison to my led lights, i find that objects observed with the Maxfire appear to be sharper & easier on the eyes. To me this is a distinct advantage an incandescent (xenon) light has over the led light. Is it possible to place a filter over an led light to get similar results to a xenon bulb? I realize the led output would be less but that is a compromise i'm willing to accept.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not. What you're looking at is a wider spectrum of light put out by the incandescent. LEDs emit a very narrow spectrum, and filtering would not widen or render colors the same way an incandescent source does.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs (and other non-incandescent lamps) are missing an equal distribution of energy across the spectrum (based on the ideal black body radiator).

A filter would block other light, but if there is not much energy in the filter pass band in the first place (say an LED of some sort), there will not be much "filtered light" to let through.

A major industrial use light company FoxFury (see link for example) adds a bit of green to make the LED light render colors better...

You would probably be better off adding something like on the ratio of 1:5 (or so) of green to white (and/or other colors too like red) to get a spectrum that works for you (test on-the-job color pallet--such as a wiring harness if you work with communications circuits)...

There have been multiple threads on this subject--but much of this depends on your personal needs and desires (and sometimes your personal eyes' too).

Certainly, a well driven incandescent (and regulated would be nice--but few lights have regulated incandescents--see SureFire A2 Aviator) is closer to what the human eye evolved under--but even that varies a lot (sunrise/set, high noon, cloudy, shaded, moonlight, etc.).

-Bill

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
Incandescent bulbs do put out better light,
but after being stranded a few times with a broken bulb or dead batteries,
it is easier to get used to led's.

After a while of using led's, incadescent bulbs seem to be a weird color.