Lumapower M1 modded with Q5-WG XR-E

NetKidz

Enlightened
My M1's glass dome was separated a little (look like some bubbles in between) when I accidently dropped it last time. :crazy: Just happened to find DX has cheap Q5 on Star, and orderred some. They arrived yesterday, open one to try it on this faulty M1. ;)

1. Open the head and take out the pill. Drill two small holes on the black insulating pad near the edge.
M1-Q5mod-01.jpg

2. Insert bended pin or paper clip at once and pull the pad out.
M1-Q5mod-03.jpg

3. Here's the LED on small MCPCB.
M1-Q5mod-04.jpg

4. De-solder the wires and take out the MCPCB. Clean the thermal compound left on the pill.
M1-Q5mod-06.jpg

5. The thickness of the WPG MCPCB is the same with the original small MCPCB. I file/sand the WPG MCPCB a little to fit into the pill. I also cut two notch near the positive and negative pad for wires to go through.
M1-Q5mod-07.jpg

6. Use DMM to check every connection pad to see if something short out after filing/sanding. Use some thermal compound on the back, and put back the filed MCPCB. Solder the two wires. (Forgive my bad soldering skill. :nana:)
M1-Q5mod-08.jpg

7. Since the MCPCB is larger than original, the insulating pad couldn't be installed. I use some Kapton tape to do the insulating job.
M1-Q5mod-09.jpg

8. Put back the pill and head. The XR-E seems centered well. :devil:
M1-Q5mod-10.jpg

The Lux reading @1m of my old M1 using OP reflector are: High 3710 and Low 770.
After the change, they are: High 4930 and Low 1110.

It's 33% increase on High. :sssh:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done! Those readings convince me DX's Q5s are legit. I've got a U2-Style Eastward YJ waiting for a Q5 to arrive.

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks, NetKidz. It's good to know that the M1 is so easily upgradeable.