Huntlight, Wolf-Eyes or Other?

mrearthpig

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, :wave:

I'm a LEO in Australia and recently came across this site. Who would have thought there'd be a forum for torch lovers??

I'm in the market for a new torch and have been researching for a little over a week now. I'll be the first to admit that most of this stuff is way over my head!! All these reviews, facts and figures is enough to give a bloke a headache.

As this is my first "real torch" purchase (yeah, I'll admit I bought a 3D Mag thinking it was a real torch), I want to make sure I get the right one from the start.

I'm looking to spend around $120 Aussie dollards (currently about US$100). A lot of guys at work carry various Pelican or SureFire models, but it seems to me that they all tend to buy whatever everyone else buys.

I really like the sound of the Huntlight FT-01XSE and was set on that. But then I started reading about the Wolf-Eyes Defender-II with the 170 lumens lens.

So, now I can't decide. Does anyone have any advice, or can you recommend something better?

I'm looking for something in the $120 Aussie Dollar range (about US$100 at the moment). LED based. As bright as possible with good runtime. A reputable brand who will still be around when the thing breaks and I need spares.

Cheers,

Piggy!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option to look at is Pila. They make extremely solid lights with great beam profiles. You can also get some aftermarket LED dropin modules if you do not want to go with thier own offering. Pila makes a great charger and batteries. The 18650 (168s) battery is a nice lithium rechargable that fits in their lights and offers a inexpensive way to run the lights.

GreySave

Enlightened
I have the Huntlight Cree and a Wolf-Eyes Raider. They are both nice lights, and each has features that make it worthwhile. Where the Raider (And I realize you are looking at the Defender II) has an edge is in flexibility. It runs on WE rechargeables, but I can switch directly to primary batteries if I need to. There is also a multimode Cree LED module in the works, although that would add a bit to the cost. There is also a wide variety of Lumens Factory incan bulbs that can add even more punch to the Raider for a very modest price.

On the Defender II.....The folks that have it seem to really like it from what I have read. My suggestion to help you obtain the "right" light the first time....I would go to Pacific Tactical Solutions web site and look over the wide variety of WE lights and accessories there and then make a choice. I think that the WE lights are much better suited for law enforcement as they are a very well constructed light. That's not to say that the Huntlight is not well built....It just does not have the weight and feel of the WE products. The Lumens Factory bulbs that I mentioned are available for many WE torches, and there are Cree LED lamps available for many with more on the way. Mike at PTS usually aways has some surprise in the works.

If you cannot tell.....I really like the WE products. I also own SureFires and love them, but the flexibility, options, and ability to make your own repairs (Bezels and tail caps available at very decent prices) make the WE torches an outstanding contender for your profession.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read up. Take your time. Decide on what you need. Take all advice with a bit of caution due to the advisers own preferences and so on (no one in particular intended with this bit). THEN, when you know what you want/need, you decide what to invest your money in.

Norm

Retired Administrator
one excellent reason to order Wolf-Eyes from Glen is he's local anything I've ordered from Glen arrives the next day, If I where you I'd order a Raider with the 170 lumen dropin in a bit over you budget but if you decide you want to try other things all you have to do is change the bulb, the raider will run a Lumens factory EO-9 380 lumen lamp, this is a stunning set up, I compared it to a 6 cell maglite the other night and there is no contest the raider was much brighter, and it will fit in your pocket. Give Glen a call on 1300 911 007, he'll talk you ear off but at least he will set you on the right path.
Norm

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a LEO, I would think momentary on is a good feature. The Huntlight is a great light, well made, and seems to have one of the better drivers out there (more output and longer runtime than it's direct competitor the Lumapower M1), but it has a reverse clicky which means no light until you fully click the switch.

The WE Defender II has a momentary which, again, I would think is a useful feature for a LEO. Another light that has momentary is the Dereelight CL1H 2.0. I just got a couple and it's really nice. Build quality is great, finish is great and fully HAIII (a harder to scratch finish than the TypeII anodizing WEs uses), and one of my favorite features is that high and low outputs are selected independently from the on function, allowing me to turn the light on all the time in either output mode so I don't have to cycle through any other mode to get to the one I want. The Dereelights are available in the Manufacturer's Forum from Dereelight and are only $61.50 shipped USD.

olight001

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, :wave:

I'm a LEO in Australia and recently came across this site. Who would have thought there'd be a forum for torch lovers??

I'm in the market for a new torch and have been researching for a little over a week now. I'll be the first to admit that most of this stuff is way over my head!! All these reviews, facts and figures is enough to give a bloke a headache.

As this is my first "real torch" purchase (yeah, I'll admit I bought a 3D Mag thinking it was a real torch), I want to make sure I get the right one from the start.

I'm looking to spend around $120 Aussie dollards (currently about US$100). A lot of guys at work carry various Pelican or SureFire models, but it seems to me that they all tend to buy whatever everyone else buys.

I really like the sound of the Huntlight FT-01XSE and was set on that. But then I started reading about the Wolf-Eyes Defender-II with the 170 lumens lens.

So, now I can't decide. Does anyone have any advice, or can you recommend something better?

I'm looking for something in the $120 Aussie Dollar range (about US$100 at the moment). LED based. As bright as possible with good runtime. A reputable brand who will still be around when the thing breaks and I need spares.

Cheers,

Piggy!
I don't know what you popose of this LED flashlight you want to buy?for personal use or other special one?why you can't decide from the Huntlight and wolf-eyes?In my eyes, they are all tatical flashlights,cool appearance.but should be not very expensive, becasue they are made in China,if would like to buy them with $100,should be no problemonly for your reference:nana:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy mrearthpig, and welcome to CPF,
Yes, a forum for torch lovers...... who would have thought it (I felt the same way a few months ago).

Instead of starting with how much you want to spend (although it's always good to have a ballpark idea) ...... you might consider what you are going to use the light for.... and let that help lead you to the right light.

Is this going to be a duty light or a personal light? Do you need to see things primarily far away, or mostly closeup (more specialized lights), or do you need a more all purpose light with a good combination of both flood and spot?

Is this for everyday use (rechargeable batteries), or as an occasional use light (lithium primary cells).

Do you need something very small (maybe on your belt, or in your pocket), or will this be for the house, or in your car?

Single level, super bright..... or multi-level (while we like bright lights here, there is always a trade off. The brighter the light, the less time it will stay on..... so having the option to lower the light level gives you the option to have it run longer. AND... when you are doing something close up, a lower level can be much easier to see with.... then pop it on high when you need to see far away).

Do you need long run times....... say 1-2 hours continuous use per night (larger capacity batteries), or will this be for 5 minutes at a time.

Do you need a holster for the light? A charger for the batteries? Extra rechargeable batteries?

Will this light be used in controlled situations, or might it be abused, dropped (need a more rugged light)?

Does it need to be water proof, or just dunkable?

Keep your eyes open for a light that is "regulated". That means it has a circuit that keeps the light at a constant brightness rather than dimming over the life of the battery.

Have answers to those questions when you call Glenn, and he will get you fixed up with exactly what you need. Keep in mind, that sometimes it takes at least 2 lights to cover all your needs..... plus it's always good to have a backup.... just in case. Happy hunting!

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek Dean, very well put......work out what you need before you worry about the price range......

.....more importantly, sooner or later you will have to work out how to explain that new small cupboard with a padlock on it in your garage and the fact that you no longer have any spare cash as you used to have....:)

mrearthpig

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys,

I got onto Glenn and hopefully he can point me in the right direction. I'll let you all know how I go!!

mrearthpig

Newly Enlightened
My Wolf-Eyes Defender II turned up today (Thanks QuarterFlash) and all I can say is WOW!!!

If I get a chance when it gets dark I'll put up a post comparing it to my 4D rechargeable Maglite.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My package has also turned up, thanks Glen......haven't opened it yet....my wife is home sick today!....will wait till tonight when she will be in bed asleep....and then into it......:)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, sounds like Glenn guided you'all in the right direction. I'll look forward to your impressions of the new lights. Have fun!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the sound of the Huntlight FT-01XSE

i have this light. very nice in many respects. very well made, IMO.

i have LEO in the family here in the States (across the pond, as the Brits would say), but am NOT one myself, nor do i really understand all of your requirements in a torch (there i can speak Aussie/Brit too!).

let me point out one operating characterisic of my particular FT-01XSE (which i assume is how they all operate).

the light cycles through each of it's many modes with partial presses of the tailcap switch - very easy to do.

if i'm in let's say the second lowest constant output level and shut the light off, it doesn't remember what mode i was last in, NOR does it have a default turn on mode.

so, the next time i illuminate the Cree with some 'trons by clicking the tailcap switch on it would come in the next sequential level, which in this example would be the lowest level of light output.

this necessitates that, if one wants the light to always come on in the HIGHEST steady (i.e. non-flashing) output mode, one must sequence to the strobe (or SOS - i forget which is the last mode, but it think it's strobe) output mode and only then turn the light off when in strobe mode.

if you always remember to do this, then the light will come on in the highest steady output level the next time you switch the torch on which is very blinding to say the least.

this also means to get to a disorienting strobe mode of output, you must turn the light on (let's say it comes on in high because one was last in strobe when the light was switched off) and sequence from Level 5 (highest) to L4 to L3 to L2 (not too bright) to L1 (dim) then to SOS, and finally to strobe.

to me, very naively, i'd say by the time you get to strobe mode you may have lost a tactical advantage. of course you could always shut the light off in SOS mode and the next time that you turn it on, it would be in strobe mode. great for blinding those you pull over for a routine traffic stop at night!!! (i think you get my pont).

the short of it is, the FT-01XSE is a nice light for me (a techno-geek), but maybe(???) a poor light for a LEO.

so, what might be a nice light for a LEO?

i have no experience with Wolf-Eyes, so the following should *NOT* be misconstrued that my suggestion is better than any Wolf-Eyes solution to you lighting requirements. it is only a suggestion. i'll have to leave a comparison between the below recommendation and a Wolf-Eyes solution to another who is more knowledgeable about BOTH lights.

a really nice light is the Blackhawk Gladius Night-Ops (or is that Night-Ops Gladius - i own one, but have a mental block as to the proper order).

what's neat about this one is the mode selector tailcap. so, i have it REMEMBER the last steady output level i selected (digitally stepped, so maybe 128 or 256 discrete levels) which is usually a low level. just press AND RELEASE the tailcap button and the light is on.

with the tailcap in position 3 "constant on" position (position 4 is a lock-out mode to prevent it from accidentally turning on), it will turn on at that pre-selected light level. nice for a routine traffic stop and reading someone's credentials.

immediately, while on at a reasonably low (or bright - the choice is yours to make) level, depending upon your assessment of the risk involved with nighttime traffic stops, you rotate the tailcap to mode 2 or mode 1 (very easy to do with thumb and index finger while still gripping the light). the light REMAINS in the mode 3 constant on output level at your preselected output level. however, should you quickly press the tailcap again with your thumb, the newly selected mode 2 or mode 1 is instantly activated, momentarily blinding and disorienting those looking towards you.

mode 2 is a very disorienting strobe (specially designed for visual disorientation in humans and not just to flicker quickly) and mode 1 is "full blast". both of these are MOMENTARY modes, so you must hold the tailcap depressed to remain in those modes (i believe that this is also correct for the strobe, but it could be latched on - i have the light put away upstairs and haven't used it for a while, but clearly the mode 1 momentary mode is MOMENTARY - hence its name, momentary mode!!!).

this light was designed specifically for LEO and Operators.

the grip is excellent, allowing for various tactical grips (or so i've read) and it can be weapon mounted too.

Downsides:
IMO (in my opinion), YMMV (your mileage may vary)

it's rated at 80 lumens, so there are brighter lights out there, but it has the most amazingly polished smooth reflector i've ever seen (you'd think it should be in the Hubble Space telescope!!) and THROWS quite well, better than some brighter lights.

but, you generally don't get somethin' for nuttin', so the downside is that the bright SPOT is a bit smaller than some other lights. please don't misunderstand my lack of descriptive clarity here on this point. it's NOT a teensy weensy spot, but it is on the smaller side - at least at shorter distances like 3-5 metres. but no worries, it has a decent spillbeam.

i've used it to view out 60+ metres in my backyard. the bright center spot is much larger at that distance obviously, but it's not really "searchlight" sized at that point, but is plenty large to more than illuminate a human target and, IMO, bright enough to shoot by at that distance (not a LEO, but i'm ex-military, so, while not current, i've used small arms).

it also comes in four colors IF color is some sort of a requirement(???) for your police force: black, medium gray (think US Naval ships here, called "sniper gray"), OD green (or just plain OD - olive drab), and a desert khaki color.

better than my verbiage is this excellent review, found here (complete with pics of both the light and "beamshots".

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm

BTW, this light is also sold for $50 or more USD cheaper (so about $160USD versus $209USD, or so for the Gladius) under another brandname, which i'm forgettin' at the moment (i have "old-timers").

of course, you may need a more powerful incandescent light cannon for other situations, liking searching a large area from a distance or illuminating a wider field of view with mega-brightness.

i'm not sure ONE light suffices for a LEO's many and varied uses.

the Gladius though should really be on your "short-list" and one of two or three lights present in your cruiser or on your person.

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Mr Earthpig, glad you like the Defender II, think you will like it the more you use it.

Cernobila, there is a little something in the pack for your wife :) Just tell here the whole package cost $20, no one believes what we really spend on torches ;)