Anything new in image hosting sites?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched for a while for a general thread about different image hosting sites. Didn't find one general enough.

This isn't meant to be an advertisement for a particular site, rather a discussion of the benefits that different sites have to offer.

I have been using imageshack for a couple of years now. It's a useful site. I like the way the links are displayed and copy automatically when clicked on.

I also use picasaweb, because it is convenient for uploading photo albums for my friends to view.

Recently I was browsing Google Earth, and noticed that a lot of the location photos were from a site called Panoramio. It's another image hosting site, and has a little google map where you can place a pushpin. Once the image is approved, it should appear on google earth as a landmark for the world to see. I thought that would be a neat way to share some of my landscape pics, so I uploaded some for processing. They haven't appeared on the globe, yet, but they might. Still, I thought it was a neat idea. There are restrictions, like no personal close ups or advertising logos or digitally created images, but still, it's a cool way to share unusual places with the world.

Lastly, about photoshack: while it might be a useful site for people to use, I don't like all the popups I get when click on the thumbnails. I wish people would just host the pics there and show them full size.

carrot

Flashaholic
I like Imageshack, Tinypic and Flickr. I have never used PicasaWeb, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an excellent contender.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
After having everything I've hotlinked from previous ISP's gone away here a couple times, I bought some space at http://www.smugmug.com/ I think they will be around for a while, and uploads and bandwidth are advertised as unlimited. Not to mention, no crapware! Nothing is truely free!

Larry